Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum - H22 Civic hatch, looking for suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum - H22 Civic hatch, looking for suspension advice

Hello all, i'm new to HT, I registered before when I bought a 94 GSR but it was stolen. I now have a 92 Civic CX Hatch with an H22 swap (bought it that way).

It's a fun little car, but it get pretty scarey taking curvey mountain roads under aceleration as the car floats quite a bit and also botoms out tire against the fender on big dips. The wheel offset is a bit goofy so that doesn't help, but the suspension is all stock and worn out.

I'm looking for advice as to what spring/strut combo would be good on a budget.

The problem with the H22 I keep reading is binding the axles when the car is lowered too much (90 teg axles, 90 accord innner joint in the passenger side and 90 accord intermediate shaft). So I don't want to lower it too much and find out I wasted my hard earned $, plus the roads are bad here and it will see snowy roads in wintertime.

Could anyone recomend a small drop that will work well with what I have?

Thanks!

Stew.

Modified by H22Stew at 1:30 AM 3/3/2008
Old 03-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to forum - H22 Civic hatch, looking for suspension advice (H22Stew)

I really like my setup, but I don't think it's even close to a budget setup.

At any rate, custom (425F/350R) ground control coilovers with koni yellows. Lots of other stuff, but the GC/Koni is the main part of it. It's set to roughly 2-3 finger width gap on the fenders. Never bottoms out, and rides quite smooth. Really torn up roads get rough, but it's to be expected with performance suspension. On normal roads it rides quite nice.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to forum - H22 Civic hatch, looking for suspension advice (Chem Geek)

How much lower than stock is your setup? Any axle binding issues?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to forum - H22 Civic hatch, looking for suspension advice (H22Stew)

Not sure on the height, probably around 2" lower. No binding issues at all, although I'm using HASport axles, not sure if it makes a difference or not.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to forum - H22 Civic hatch, looking for suspension advice (Chem Geek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chem Geek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really like my setup, but I don't think it's even close to a budget setup.

At any rate, custom (425F/350R) ground control coilovers with koni yellows. Lots of other stuff, but the GC/Koni is the main part of it. It's set to roughly 2-3 finger width gap on the fenders. Never bottoms out, and rides quite smooth. Really torn up roads get rough, but it's to be expected with performance suspension. On normal roads it rides quite nice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good setup

an adjustable setup maybe a wise purchase for him so he can raise the car up in the winter as needed

Old 03-03-2008, 06:53 PM

Default Re: New to forum - H22 Civic hatch, looking for suspension advice (skunked)

if your on a budget check this out, maxspeed coilovers ($150), kyb gr2 struts ($140), skunk2 camber kit ($160) thats what ive ran for a while and its worked awesome no complaints. not a bad setup for 450-500.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to forum - H22 Civic hatch, looking for suspension advice (CivicSH)

does a coilover exist that will raise a car to stock ride height when fully extended?

I found out today the mounts are made by "Avid" racing, any good?

I'm willing to get Hasport mounts if need be, the ground clearance is pretty tight the the header right now, so a higher mount couldn;t hurt - I need to measure the hood to valve cover clearance tho and see what I have to work with.

I'm loving this car though, H22 hatch FTW!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22Stew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does a coilover exist that will raise a car to stock ride height when fully extended?

I found out today the mounts are made by "Avid" racing, any good?

I'm willing to get Hasport mounts if need be, the ground clearance is pretty tight the the header right now, so a higher mount couldn;t hurt - I need to measure the hood to valve cover clearance tho and see what I have to work with.

I'm loving this car though, H22 hatch FTW!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some have had issues with the Avids and others say they're fine :shrugs: I'm not sure you can find a mount combo that will move motor up any higher. Ground clearance with a full H22 swap is less than desirable....

And yes, the coil overs allow anything from stock height down to about 3" drop usually.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to forum - H22 Civic hatch, looking for suspension advice (skunked)

Most adjustables show a specs lke 1.5-3" drop which leads me to belive that the adjustment at maximum is not as high as stock?

Can anyone confirm a brand that will extend as high as a stock spring?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I maybe able to help. What axle combo are you using with your set up? Find out and let me know.

Interms of suspension, I found that Strange Engineering are amazing for the money and adjustability. Now, don't think they won't work well just cause they're a drag racing company for the road. They have way more adjustability then Koni Yellow's. Not saying Koni Yellow's aren't a great shock, but for the price of the Strange and you get rebound and compression external adjustments
Old 03-05-2008, 06:22 AM
King of the One Liners

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22Stew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> (90 teg axles, 90 accord innner joint in the passenger side and 90 accord intermediate shaft).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YZFR6AVID &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I maybe able to help. What axle combo are you using with your set up? Find out and let me know.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to forum - H22 Civic hatch, looking for suspension advice (2fastGSR)

Thanks Jake,

Guys how would the tokico RAK coilover setup be for my car? I can get it relitivly cheap thru work and its highest setting is only .5" drop over stock.

YZFR6: The avid mounts seem to work well, but I have quite a dash rattle/vibration at low RPM. Is this normal with such solid mounts? Next project is some screw tightening and sound deadening
Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22Stew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

YZFR6: The avid mounts seem to work well, but I have quite a dash rattle/vibration at low RPM. Is this normal with such solid mounts? Next project is some screw tightening and sound deadening </TD></TR></TABLE>

very common with all aftermarket mounts. Some mounts with a stiffer urethene send even more vibration through the chassis.