Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need info. on GSR swap into my EJ6!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info. on GSR swap into my EJ6!!

im looking sometime hopefully this winter to drop a b18c1 into my EJ6, and I want to really do the swap myself. Now, I am getting the motor from HMO.com and the complete changover, it's everything i need...axles, shift linkage, etc. etc. and i am also getting the JDM, and getting the LSD tranny for like $300 more then the listed price.

I am pretty good so far installing everything myself on my car. i did my exhaust, header, intake, suspension. little matience things. stuff like that... and it has all been great no backfiring on any of those things (such as improper torque, or falling off while i drive, **** like that).

I need to know the main thing, on how to re-wire VTEC. i know there are diagrams, but for some stupid reason i have had trouble finding them. if someone could help me on that, it would be a great help. As well as what tools i am looking to use. i mean do i really need air tools? if so i can get a hold of some, but i like the old fashion way of using my bare hands. i know i will most likely get flamed for this post, but o well, i would apperciate it if u wouldn't , but i know alot of people r stupid idiots. I'm really wanting to do this myself, to save myself on the extra cash of having someone else do it for me.

I was also told that i might need to weld? is that tru or false? i heard welding just for the exhaust part. which understand, cuz of different flange's. this will all be done on the ground, i have an engine hoist, a garage to do it in. and all that fun ****. so people with hand'z on experience's would be the most help. such as the guy i just read about doing the h22a into his EJ6... thanx guyz...

-Jason
Old 06-25-2003, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need info. on GSR swap into my EJ6!! (Type-X)

GSR swap into an EJ6. I am not 100% sure but I believe that's an EX. My mind isn't runnin quick tonight, so just hear me out

This swap is 100% bolt in, and wiring will be cake for you.

Having the full GSR swap from HMO is a good choice, you can use everything that comes with the swap.

The swap will be straight foward and very simple. Whoever told you that you might need to weld anything, unless they are referring to the exhaust, there is absolutely no welding.

I would highly recommend you do the swap yourself, but of course, know exactly what you're jumping into before you do it, and if you know all sources, have all diagrams and such, with a fair amount of labor help, you should be fine.

VTEC wiring is simple. If you have an EX, then VTEC wiring is not required since you already have it wired up in your car. But basically it is three wires.

I am not 100% positive as I don't have my diagrams in front of me, but VTEC solenoid which is 1 wire goes to the A8 pinout on OBD2, and the VTEC oil pressure sensor goes to the C15, and a ground which I believe is D22 or the Grn/Wht wire on the shock tower harness. This is only required to wire up if you do not have an EX, VX or HX, but it'll be plug and play otherwise.

As for tools, you do not have to use impact/air tools, but it'll be a lot easier and faster. Manual tools will work though. I have used manual tools on swaps, and they work just fine. Just make sure you have all sizes and required sockets, becareful to not strip any bolts, or bust any fingers, and you'll be fine.

One thing also, since you are getting a JDM swap, is you can either adapt your factory harness to the GSR motor swap. It'll be very simple and mostly plug and play, if at all, 100% plug and play if I am not mistaken.

Wish best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:08 PM

Default Re: need info. on GSR swap into my EJ6!! (poison)

hey man most appreciation to u man.. ... but i have a DX..so i have the d16y7 non-vtec....i have seen a diagram of the vtec ... but im not good at rewiring... let alone know how to.. that'z my main problem....
Old 06-25-2003, 08:36 PM

VTEC wiring is very simple. Like I said, three wires.

You have several different options for this:

Using your factory DX harness, you need to take the VTEC harness plugs off of the JDM GSR harness, and add them to your factory harness then directly wire it to the ECU pinouts I said above.

OR

If you do not want to wire very much, you can also get a EX/Si or even Si harness if your car is a 99-00 Civic. Then all you need to do is wire up from the shock tower harness to the ECU, I believe, to the pinouts above as well.

If it is a 96-98 Civic, then I would recommend you grab a EX harness as well that will go directly to the ECU. And VTEC will be wired up already.

Keep us posted, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Old 06-25-2003, 10:21 PM

another question which i forgot to ask... i have OBD2 the GSR that i am getting is OBD1? correct? do i have to buy the conversion harness to change from OBD2-OBD1? hey man forgot to ask something else... on my motor mounts, i am definately getting the hasport mounts, cuz i had purchased one a while back for my engine now, cuz the rear mount was weakening and i luv it.. so im going full hasport mount kit once i get the b18c into my car, but does the b18c1 just fit right in? or does i have to get swap mount kit... cuz on hasport.com there is no kit saying anything about b-series into 96-98 civics.. just replacement mounts...??

-Jason

Modified by Type-X at 2:18 AM 6/26/2003
Old 06-26-2003, 12:04 AM

Yes, getting an OBD2 GSR swap, depends if your car is a 96-98 or 99-00.

I'd go OBD2->OBD1 with a jumper harness just because OBD1 is better all around. Not required ASAP though.

As for the mount kit, you can get the replacement mount kit if you want. The swap will be bolt in though. No fabrication or anything.

No custom mounts or anything will be required.

Old 06-26-2003, 12:09 AM

ok as long as i dun't need it ASAP then that's cool.. cuz i didn't want to wait for an extra $250 for the jumper harness... but when i do get that in, do i have re-wire it again? or no...???

-Jason
Old 06-26-2003, 12:16 AM

Nope, plug and play.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:28 AM

sounds good.. thanx for the help bro i really appreciate it..

-Jason