Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need info on B18/B20 swap into EK hatch

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info on B18/B20 swap into EK hatch

ok, I am considering getting an EK hatch, and swapping in a b18/b20...

how much would it cost me to do the following swaps, keep in mind I will do all the labor myself.

the poor mans ITR engine
B20
regular B18c1

now here is another question... I have heard here and there about "sleeving". Im guessing that it would be possible to get B20 iron sleeves and plop them into a B18, and use B20 pistons (maby just get aftermarket).... is it feasable? How much cash? Im not sure I should do this one on my own, lol.

oh, and I plan to do the swap and then between 6 to 12 months later go turbo. I also might be considering direct port nitrous.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need info on B18/B20 swap into EK hatch (sinfestboy)

ok, I am considering getting an EK hatch, and swapping in a b18/b20...

how much would it cost me to do the following swaps, keep in mind I will do all the labor myself.

the poor mans ITR engine
B20
regular B18c1

now here is another question... I have heard here and there about "sleeving". Im guessing that it would be possible to get B20 iron sleeves and plop them into a B18, and use B20 pistons (maby just get aftermarket).... is it feasable? How much cash? Im not sure I should do this one on my own, lol.

oh, and I plan to do the swap and then between 6 to 12 months later go turbo. I also might be considering direct port nitrous.
The prices for the swaps you listed can be found by searching, so i'll just hit on the last paragraph...

It is not possible to swap B20 sleeves into a B18. Not only that, but it's unfeasible as well. The engines are the same except for the B20 has one piece sleeves, an 84mm bore and the larger pistons to go with the bigger bore. Everything else is the same including the crank, rods, and even the head. If you did have a B18A/B and wanted it sleeved, Golden Eagle or any reputable shop could enlarge the bore and sleeve the block to the 84mm bore of a stock B20, or even bigger.

If you're going turbo, it would be better for you to stick with a non-VTEC engine. I'm not saying VTEC doesn't work well with turbos, but most dyno graphs i've seen have a huge dip when VTEC kicks in. Plus, non-VTEC engines are cheaper from the get-go.

Hope I helped.

B96v6
Old 12-10-2002, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Need info on B18/B20 swap into EK hatch (B96v6)

ok, sorry about not searching....

but on the topic of vtec vs no vtec... how is there a big drop when vtec comes in? Unless I dont understand how vtec works correctly.... all it does is change timing and go to a diffrent cam profile, right? well could that dip be eradicated with aftermarket, or even custom cams? I just like the idea of being able to have 2 diffrent cam profiles....