Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help w/ wiring... B18C into 96EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help w/ wiring... 2000 B18C into 96EX

I have a few plugs hanging and i dont know where they go.

Situation: We are using the ex wiring harness and have made the 'appropriate changes so that it will fit. The problem is that we have a few connectors left hanging and we cant figure out where they go.

First off...
On the d16 the connector for the crank angle sensor comes up the side of the motor and connects above the alternator. With the EX harness in place on the b18c im having trouble finding where the plug coming from the harness plugs into the motor.

Secondly...
On the D16 head / below the distributor there are (2) two pin connectors. One plugs into a black sensor near the front of the head. The other plugs into a green sensor on the vtec solenoid. With the EX harness in place on the new motor i am only seeing one sensor to plug into in a similar spot on the front of the head. The sensor that i have plugged in has two wires (green wire/black stripe + red wire/white stripe). Is this correct? If so where does the other plug (black wire + blue wire/white stripe) connect to?

Thirdly?...
I have another plug coming from the harness - black connector (green wire/black stripe + red wire/yellow stripe). This plug is just above the ground point on the back of the head.

Lastly...
The ecu is throwing a code 16 for injectors. I checked all of the connectins and they appear to be in the proper place. What else could i check with this issue?

Notes:
At this point the car will crank but idles extremely rough. If given any gas it almost instantly dies.

Thanks to anyone that can shed any light on my situation...
Brian

Modified by thinkbrianthink at 5:39 PM 7/21/2004
Old 07-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help w/ wiring... 2000 B18C into 96EX (thinkbrianthink)

http://www.phear7imports.net/trey/6gen/
Old 07-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help w/ wiring... 2000 B18C into 96EX (Trey)

cool thx for the help.

We got the car cranked and resolved a few of the issues...

Whats left:
We have most everything wired up correctly (we think) and there are no check engine lights. We swapped in the civic injectors only to find out later that they are smaller than the originals. The originals are back in now and there are no check engine lights BUT the car is running on what seems to be about 50% power.

The cam timing is correct. The ignition timing is correct. It just doesnt seem to have the power that it should.

One issue left that we KNOW about is the TPS sensor. I cant get a reading with a multimeter to get it calibrated. Could I drill out the rivets from the d series TPS sensor and use that? I dont know if the b series sensor is bad but this might be a quick fix to the problem.

Anything else i might be missing that could cause the lack of power?

Oh one more thing. The car sat up for about 8 months before it was cranked. Could bad gas cause it to seem SO underpowered?

Thanks
brian

PS> Sup Trey. I dont know if you remember me. I met you at Talladega a while back. Im a friend of Trey C. and Tony. How is the STI working out for you?

Old 07-26-2004, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help w/ wiring... 2000 B18C into 96EX (thinkbrianthink)

lol, STi is working out so far. It's a fun car to play with.

As for the other TPS sensor, if you aren't throwing a code, I wouldn't replace it.

50% power and no codes? That is a lil strange, may be the gas like you said tho. Change that first and post back.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help w/ wiring... 2000 B18C into 96EX (Trey)

ok. we got the problem figured out.

i feel dumb posting this but at the same time it wasnt my fault so here goes...

the plug wires were swapped.

*puts on flame suit*

its always the little things. note to self: double check the little things.

anyways. now that THAT problem is fixed we have ONE issue left. there is a code going off for the tps still. we pulled the tps from the old motor and put that on. still getting the same code. i tried getting v reading from the tps with a multi-meter to no avail. i might just not have not made a good connect with the probe so ill try the ecu side but that seems weird to have replaced the tps and still be getting a code.