Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with b18c into eg6!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with b18c into eg6!!!

bah i tried searching this site and others but no one is doing this particular one so ill just post it..
alright so i have a 93 civic cx and im planning to swap with a b18c1
but....
the head is a 1997
the shortblock is a 2000
the ecu a p72 from a 2000 gsr (or was it 99?)

problem #1 - civic cx doesnt come with vtec, no sensors nor wires are included at all for upgrades...what do i need to do to get my vtec up? the motor will come with vtec solenoid btw...
problem #2 - the ecu i know ill need a conversion wire.. the kind i must get is a obd2a ----> obd1 correct?
worry #3 - 2000 shortblock with 97 head...good choice?

*EDIT* how much slicing and cutting of the wires is involved??
---would it be wiser to just get an obd2a wiring harness?

i think i need oem gsr axles, headers, and exhaust as well..plz email me if you have any

also im selling my stock cx motor ...the motor has 16X,XXX miles on it and the motor was overheated (radiator was leaking or hose was cut, couldnt find the problem so i was forced to drive to work refilling the tank every 2 days)
its not starting as well
best offer takes it
doesnt come with intake box, already sold it

Modified by neeks at 8:44 PM 12/7/2004
Old 12-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with b18c into eg6!!! (neeks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neeks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
problem #1 - civic cx doesnt come with vtec, no sensors nor wires are included at all for upgrades...what do i need to do to get my vtec up? the motor will come with vtec solenoid btw...
problem #2 - the ecu i know ill need a conversion wire.. the kind i must get is a obd2a ----&gt; obd1 correct?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

#1. you have to get a wire harness from a VTEC car, if not you have to do alot of pain in the *** work. you can pick one of these up for around 200 bucks.92-95 Civic SI would work the best.

#2. yes that is the converter you will need

#3. good choice... slap some itr internals in it and it will be really good
Old 12-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with b18c into eg6!!! (sXekid)

to answer your wire question, its not that hard. i used my stock cx harness, and made my own vtec/o2 harness. not alot of work.
http://tech.hybridgarage.com/t....html
that will help you. and you can get a obd1-obd2 wirring harness to use your ecu. very easy swap
Old 12-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neeks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
problem #2 - the ecu i know ill need a conversion wire.. the kind i must get is a obd2a ----&gt; obd1 correct?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you will need to purchase an OBD2a to OBD1 ecu jumper harness adapter. If you're interested I sell this type of jumper (see link in sig). From the sound of things, I'm betting you have a US P72 ecu, yes? You can find out what exact OBD2 type your ecu by comparing your ecu plugs to my diagram here:
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/ecu/ecu.plugs.jpg

But...
Since you own an OBD1 vehicle, you don't necessarily have to use the OBD2 ecu you have. You can look for an OBD1 P72 ecu which will plug n' play right into your CX and power the OBD2 engine. OBD2 electronic parts are backwards compatible with OBD1 ecu's, if you didnt know.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not a bad choice at all being that you have a 2000 block; it should have low mileage/wear+tear.

*EDIT* how much slicing and cutting of the wires is involved??
---would it be wiser to just get an obd2a wiring harness?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually yes, it would be a good idea if you used an OBD2 96-01 VTEC integra engine harness on your engine to cut back on wiring duties, if your head came with all OBD2 electronic parts (ie. distributor, injectors, alternator). But you will still need to wire in VTEC & the knock sensor into your ecu plugs, no matter what engine harness you use. An OBD2 integra engine harness is fully compatible with an OBD1 vehicle (minus a couple unused plugs) because of its 2-piece design, if you didnt know that either (you cant use an OBD2 civic harness because of its 1 piece design)
Old 12-08-2004, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neeks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">problem #1 - civic cx doesnt come with vtec, no sensors nor wires are included at all for upgrades...what do i need to do to get my vtec up? the motor will come with vtec solenoid btw...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You will need to reuse your stock harness and add the wiring for the VTEC solenoid, VTEC pressure switch, IAB, knock sensor and rewire to a 4 wire O2. You will also need to do plug swaps on the distributor, alternator and injectors if you use the OBD2 parts.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">problem #2 - the ecu i know ill need a conversion wire.. the kind i must get is a obd2a ----&gt; obd1 correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are planning to use a 2000 GSR ECU (which I would highly advise you not to do) then you would need an OBD1 to OBD2B ECU adapter harness. One problem is the OBD2B GSR ECU has an immobilizer so it would have to be chipped in order to use it. Not to mention you would be converting your OBD1 (most superior ) car to OBD2B - here comes a lot more unneeded extra wiring...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">worry #3 - 2000 shortblock with 97 head...good choice?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No problems there, it's really no different from a stock GSR just the head and block are 2 different years.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">*EDIT* how much slicing and cutting of the wires is involved??
---would it be wiser to just get an obd2a wiring harness?</TD></TR></TABLE>

What you need is an OBD1 94-95 GSR P72 ECU, that will simplify things so much. Again if you are using OBD2 components on the motor (distributor, injectors, etc.) then get yourself and OBD2 GSR engine harness. It will make the entire swap plug and play and you will only have to add a few wires on the cabin side harness only. Good Luck
Old 12-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with b18c into eg6!!! (VTECVillain)

thanks for your replies
bah this is giving me a big headache
this is my first swap and im having a hard time with all of this
ok so i bought this ecu for only 50 bucks (thanks tod) and i was thinking of getting a conversion harness for about 80 but you say theres an immobilizer so i have to get it chipped...would it just be cheaper to sell the ecu i have now and get a obd1 p72?
so 97 head + 2000 shortblock + obd1 ecu = easier hookup?
thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay, first off, is the swap you have complete? do you have the obd2 alt, dist., injectors, and most importantly the engine bay wiring harness? If you do, it will make wiring easier. If you don't have one, I suggest you purchase a complete uncut engine bay wiring harness from a honda/acura salvage yard.

second of all, since you have a 92-95 obd1 civic, you are better off getting a chipped P28 ecu or a obd1 USDM p72. You wouldn't need to buy any conversion harnesses. All you have to do is add one wire (vtec solenoid)if you choose to run a chipped p28.
If you decide to run a obd1 p72, you will have to add the vtec solenoid, pressure switch, knock sensor and you need to switch the a17 and a20 wires at the plug. since you are somewhat local to me, I can help you out with the wiring for a small fee.

To make wiring easier, go pick up a skunk2/blox intake manifold. You don't have to worry about the secondaries.

btw, purchase your chipped ECU from this guy.

PM me if you have anymore questions.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with b18c into eg6!!! (b_cruz)

Get a p28 and a Skunk2 or blox mani and you can forget about wiring in for the:
1. IAB(secondaries) GSR manifold
2. Knock sensor.

and if you get a gsr wiring harness you wont even have to wire up for vtec y0! since your car is a 93 i belive they come with the vtec already wired up in the cabin side of your car just plug the shock towers and rock and roll!

PS
I have a '01 gsr motor '01gsr motor harness and it plugged right in...all i have to wire up is for vtec since my hatch is a 94cx (they dont come pre-wired for vtec) and im changing my manifold to a blox...and using a p28 mugen program.

oh yeah something else if you get OBD-I ecu you dont need a jumper harness just like me
Old 12-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with b18c into eg6!!! (El RedSkoolingBus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El RedSkoolingBus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and if you get a gsr wiring harness you wont even have to wire up for vtec y0! since your car is a 93 i belive they come with the vtec already wired up in the cabin side of your car just plug the shock towers and rock and roll!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

only 1992 civic's came pre-wired for vtec from the shock tower to the ECU plug.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with b18c into eg6!!! (b_cruz)

the dizzy injectors etc is straight up from the 97 gsr head
the only wiring harness i have is from my stock civic cx
the intake manifold im using is from the stock gsr
i suppose ill get a p28/mugen then
Old 12-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to buy a obd2 engine bay harness.

either that or you need to buy all obd1 gs-r **** like the fuel injectors, dist, alt, etc...