Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help about rebuild and swap questions--- please help !!

Old 04-27-2003, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help about rebuild and swap questions--- please help !!

Alright-- I'm not stupid here and I'm not a newbie.. I just have some concerns and opinion questions for you guys.

Here is my dillema.. It is a VERY similar dilemma to what you guys all have. I have a 91 LS with everything finished except for the power department. My stock motor has bolt ons, an S1 tranny and 151k miles on it.. It pulls VERY good but I'm sure its on its last legs.. So its now time to do something real deal motor wise..

I am seriously torn deciding to swap or build.. I stay up at not going over the pro's and cons of each option..

I have thought considerably about building my LS or buying a used LS to build. I can have the car down for a while so thats not my concern. One of my concerns is reliablilty. If I were to do a rebuild on my LS- can you actually create a motor that is near new? I mean- replacing rods-pistons-gaskets etc is great. But your block, sleeves, passages etc all have 151k miles on them.. Oil squirters and everything.. I'm just concerned that rebuilding my higher milage LS is like putting a strong band aid on my problem.. I also cant decide if I would rebuild for boost later on or for middle of the road compression and juice for the track.. I have gone through the turbo thing with my 95 Probe GT.. I put down 265whp and 258 tq.. But the thing was constant maintence and no reliability. I'm hesitant to dip into the turbo game again but I am 100% aware it is the only way for BIG power.. But-- also if I want the BIG power-- I need sleeves and stand alone..

OK-- here is my other option.. If I did go with a swap -- it would most certainly be a B16A1.. It is by far the most cost effective swap.. You can buy the longblock for 499$ from Steve at HMO.. My thoughts about this are also quantified.. I LOVE VTEC and I LOVE revs. But I also love power and torque.. I am contemplating a LIGHT rebuild on my B16 for revs.. ARP hardware and a aftermarket timing belt and cams/valvetrain for revs.. I am almost positive that a cammed B16 will NOT satisfy my craving for power here.. Spray on top of the B16? Once again not sure about that. Seems that B16A1 is the weakest B series and doesn't like juice or boost as much as the others.. If I had some Jun Killer cams from EF-1 would juice be compatible ?? How tough is the stock bottom end really ? I understand it is great for revs-- but I just dont think that 175whp and 115tq isn't gonna cut it for me.. But once again-- this is probably a bit more reliable than a sleeved LS with boost.

So -- although I'm really just thinking out loud -- please give me your input.. And dont be a butt nugget and tell me to search.. I've read a million threads about LS and B16A motors..

My budget is NOT superman.. I am a senior in college but I make decent money and spend fairly wise.. Plus- if the motor isn't done this year I wouldnt cry about it.. Another of my concerns is my OBD-0.. What ya'll think about that.. I cant go Hondata with that correct ?? I believe Z Dyne is one of the few semi affordable stand alones.. And its still pricey as hell.. What results from LS built with middle compression, cams and juice.. How about mild rebuild for boost... How about B16 all motor for revs and high rpm power.. How about middle of the road B16 with juice..

Damn--- sorry this is so damn long but I wanted to get it all out so you have a feeling of where I'm going and what I'm dealing with.. Please-- dont tell me to buy a B18C1 or C5.. I dont have the budget to drop that much ALL at once..

LS- VTEC? B20 ? I'm open for anything.. Although with B20 the swap is still considerably more than a B16A1...

Thank you so much for any help or insight you can provide.. Jeff
Old 04-27-2003, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help about rebuild and swap questions--- please help !! (Drag_On)

Get your current block resleeved and get that B16 head with some nice high compression pistons and aggressive cams.