Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor?

just wondering if it is necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor? if it is, where can I get shielded wiring?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor? (Honda Sport)

You do noy need any special shielding on the wire. Just the plastic coating on the outside of the OEM wire will work. I would run the wire inside of the stock harness so it does not get brittle over time, plus it looks more professional.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor? (98 Spec R)

Yes you definetly need the sheilding on the wire, The point of it is to sheild the wire from picking up voltage spikes and noise from other components such as your ignition wires because the point is you want a clean signal, interference will make the ecu think that it may be knocking when it is not, or vise versa. Engineers shielded the wire for a reason.

By having noise in the signal the ecu could be retarding the timing when not supposed to or, not retarding it when it should and could cause pinging and the worst case scenario could be a blown engine.

You could sheild the wire youself, by wrapping wire arond that wire in a spiral and then grounding it only on one end.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor? (superdupervtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superdupervtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes you definetly need the sheilding on the wire, The point of it is to sheild the wire from picking up voltage spikes and noise from other components such as your ignition wires because the point is you want a clean signal, interference will make the ecu think that it may be knocking when it is not, or vise versa. Engineers shielded the wire for a reason.

By having noise in the signal the ecu could be retarding the timing when not supposed to or, not retarding it when it should and could cause pinging and the worst case scenario could be a blown engine.

You could sheild the wire youself, by wrapping wire arond that wire in a spiral and then grounding it only on one end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you have pics of this?
Old 09-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superdupervtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes you definetly need the sheilding on the wire, The point of it is to sheild the wire from picking up voltage spikes and noise from other components such as your ignition wires because the point is you want a clean signal, interference will make the ecu think that it may be knocking when it is not, or vise versa. Engineers shielded the wire for a reason.

You could sheild the wire youself, by wrapping wire arond that wire in a spiral and then grounding it only on one end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very nicely done
Old 09-05-2005, 02:59 PM

It is not shielded in the stock Honda harness.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:17 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98 Spec R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is not shielded in the stock Honda harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually it is shielded in all knock sensor equipped hondas.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98 Spec R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is not shielded in the stock Honda harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>you sir are incorrect.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor? (Honda Sport)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Sport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just wondering if it is necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor? if it is, where can I get shielded wiring?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can use microphone shielded wire the small gauge, make sure you ground both ends of the of the shield wire to make it efective, if you don't ground it might as well use a regular wire since it would be useless. if you disected an engine wire harness you would see that is grounded just before the sensor and before the ecu pin (2-4 inches).
Old 09-13-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Re: necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor?

sup hmov...

use electrical tape

just use regular wires.... i have regular wires and dont have a problem

Old 09-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor? (93H22ACX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93H22ACX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sup hmov...

use electrical tape

just use regular wires.... i have regular wires and dont have a problem

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm no. As stated above you need shielded wire to block out RFI caused by your ignition components.

(PS I've used Unshielded 18awg stranded wire and seen the knock graphs, it is NOT pretty )
Old 09-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor? (WhiteSol)

So if you shield it yourself by wrapping a wire around the KS wire you need to ground both ends. Close to the sensor and a few inches before the ECU pin?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor? (APEX CRX)

TTT
Old 09-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor? (APEX CRX)

****... i didn't shield my knock sensor wire... i used 14 gauge wiring for the whole wire, and haven't had a problem yet... well at least not any that i know of... damn, now considering taking out and shielding it, but that means that i have to undo all that electrical tape that i put on....
Old 09-15-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor? (Airbag Club)

You can get the proper sheilding wire and yes it will definetly be better then just wire, but a cheap and effective alternative is just wire.

It is just like the idea with rca cables in stereos, they have an extra little wire, apparently you only need to ground one side, but yes It might be you need both, I'll check and verify.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of shielding should i use, or can i just use regular wire and wrap it around it like someone said?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: necessary to run shielded wiring on knock sensor? (Airbag Club)

I just checked and there are some rare cases where you only ground one side, but 90 percent of the time you should ground both sides.

Just try wrapping it with regular electrical wire, ground one side on the block and one side near the ecu.

It should work good enough, or go to a scrap yard and take it from a car.