Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? N/A fully built H22A into 5th Gen. Civic, a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? N/A fully built H22A into 5th Gen. Civic, a few questions...

i've been thinking about an H22 buildup which would go into a 5th Gen. Civic. but my knowledge about H series motors is very limited right now.

i'm not too familiar with the H22 and H23 motors in general, so i need input on quite a few things. this would be an all out N/A motor with the following:

sleeves with overbore to max. reasonable size (i can't remember the stock bore size, nor the size that most overbore to for a N/A setup). C/R would be in the 12.5-13:1 range, no race gas though. i'm not sure what cams are available for the H22 for N/A duty, but i was thinking Skunk2 when they come out if they're not out already. as i mentioned before i've never worked on an H series motor before so i'm not sure how much different they are from the B series motors.

as for the tranny i guess the Type S tranny is the one with the closest gears and LSD from the factory. is there an ATS gear set for this?

now the part about fitting it into the Civic chassis, what exactly do i need?
from what i've heard so far:

mount kit
axles (i'd be going with a set of DSS anyhow)
engine harness/ECU harness conversions (if any are needed)
ECU (what can used? a P28 with adapter harness?)
anything else to be concerned with when installing the H series motor into the Civic chassis? (other than the upgraded suspension which i'll have).

thanks for any input regarding the max. overbore size on the new sleeves and the installation into the Civic chassis. i was just thinking of this as a future project but i need quite a bit of input beforehand so i can plan it out etc.

Old 04-30-2003, 08:01 PM

Default Re: ? N/A fully built H22A into 5th Gen. Civic, a few questions... (sweet)

sounds like a badass setup! most of your questions have prob been answered already, try a search. I also recommend you talk over the engine specs with an experienced engine builder. Are you building it yourself?
Old 04-30-2003, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ? N/A fully built H22A into 5th Gen. Civic, a few questions... (Tuney)

yes i will be building/installing it myself, it shouldn't be much different than building a B series for the most part. other than the different bore size and a few other differences like motor mounts and the engine harness etc.

the search function is cool but isn't always working. and most of my questions are pretty simple to answer for those that have done it before, so i thought i'd just ask.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: ? N/A fully built H22A into 5th Gen. Civic, a few questions... (sweet)

Sounds like you have a pretty good overview of what you want to do. If you haven't bought the motor yet, I suggest you get the Obd1 H22 due to tuning issues. They tune a lot better and have made more power for me in the past. Definitely resleeve the block like you said since the FRM sleeves suck, but since the sleeves are already pretty thin, you might want to stick with factory bore. As for the Skunk2 cams, I have heard mixed reviews so far. If I were you I would contact Devon at Skunk to see if they are done researching with them yet. I am a big fan of Skunk2 cams and have run their cams and full valvetrain in multiple cars, but as for the H22 I've heard quite a few mixed stories as well as complaints. Also, invest in a good fuel management system and get your car dyno tuned so you can run the compression you want on pump gas. With good tuning, you should be able to run the numbers you want to achieve. Also, if you want to get crazy you might want to contact Larry at Endyne and talk to him about the custom deck plate they are working on with extended rods to go to a 2.6 liter. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:14 AM

most SH trannies have ATTS so it won't work for your setup. Also, keep in mind some 2.2 blocks are open deck and others are closed. I would recommend matching the combustion chamber to the bore size and also match the valve angle to your pistons.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ? N/A fully built H22A into 5th Gen. Civic, a few questions... (JDMH22HATCH)

i'm starting on plans now and possibly picking up parts as i go alont this summer.
i currently have lots of B series parts including a fully built motor for turbo, a complete turbo setup with fuel, ignition and Hondata with boost. i'm familiar with the B series stuff but not the H series stuff. my plan is to start building the N/A H22 as a nice backup for my B series turbo motor. if the turbo project doesn't work out will enough then i can sell it and go with N/A power, which is normally much more reliable and much more simple when it comes to maintaining everything.

i will have to look into cams for the H22 then and see what most use or prefer, whether for the track or for the street. i've heard good things about Webcams and JUN 3 cams but i don't know what's available for the H22 right now.

i'll most likely be piecing everything together. i'll pick up a bare block with the mains and crank, then have it sleeved and get the appropriate pistons and rods for it. i will most likely get a bare head as well with just the basic valvetrain components, and go from there. but then comes the tranny, which i'm not too sure about. what tranny will drop right into the Civic with the new motor mount kit and has close gears for N/A performance?? or can i get the Si tranny (or what ever the base model tranny is called) and install a Quaife and ATS gear set?

also if i piece it all together can i mix and match OBD1 and OBD2 heads and blocks? and can i use an OBD1 harness/dist. even if the block/head are OBD2?

thanks
Old 05-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ? N/A fully built H22A into 5th Gen. Civic, a few questions... (Tuney)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tuney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most SH trannies have ATTS so it won't work for your setup. Also, keep in mind some 2.2 blocks are open deck and others are closed. I would recommend matching the combustion chamber to the bore size and also match the valve angle to your pistons. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah that's one thing i forgot to mention, the tranny ATTS thing. i don't know much about it but have heard it talked about before from time to time. so what tranny can i use? and what parts are available for the H series trannys, like LSD's and gear sets?

also what years are closed and what years are open deck?

and yes i'll be matching the cylinder head's combustion chamber with the bore size along with headwork and a new valve angle job etc.

thanks
Old 05-01-2003, 04:20 PM

USDM closed deck=93-96
USDM open deck=97+all models
JDM closed deck=92-95
JDM open deck=97+ all models
Old 05-01-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Re: ? N/A fully built H22A into 5th Gen. Civic, a few questions... (H22EK)

The Euro spec accord tranny has the shortest gears from the factory for a 2.2 but its hard to locate and pricey. I went with a standard jdm tranny that included a factory lsd.

check out preludeonline.com, it has lots of good info but you have to pay 6 bucks to be a member
Old 05-02-2003, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ? N/A fully built H22A into 5th Gen. Civic, a few questions... (H22EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">USDM closed deck=93-96
USDM open deck=97+all models
JDM closed deck=92-95
JDM open deck=97+ all models</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool thanks for the info.

when it comes to resleeving with a possible overbore using the H22 block, what style is easier to work with? or are open deck and closed deck basically the same to resleeve (no extra work for the sleeve installer)?
Old 05-02-2003, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tuney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Euro spec accord tranny has the shortest gears from the factory for a 2.2 but its hard to locate and pricey. I went with a standard jdm tranny that included a factory lsd.

check out preludeonline.com, it has lots of good info but you have to pay 6 bucks to be a member </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm, ok. i figured the closest geared tranny would be costly like the JDM ITR tranny.

by "standard JDM tranny" what exactly do you mean? the JDM version of the SH?
or JDM version of the SI tranny?

between the JDM, USDM and Euro spec trannys, how many are there all together to choose from? and what do the different gears range from?

thanks