Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My swaped 99 Gsr wont stay on.............

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My swaped 99 Gsr wont stay on.............

Hello everyone, well im happy to say that my motor now is actually in!! BUT!! It doesnt stay on!! Unless i press on the gas, but it still idles pretty rough Now let me tell you what it is first off. I have a 99 GSR OBDII and putting it in on a 96 Civic DX. There are still some things which are not plugged in ( the two oxegen sensors that go one before and after the cat, also, there is a lil thingamagigger on top of the Intake mani. that has two hoses hooked up, I belive that there is one that goes to the block and the other one I have no Idea!! but it goes somewhere right?(remeber its on a 99 on the pre 99's its doesnt have one, i already checked.) Anyways, few questions, Im using my civics throttle body cable which ive been able to adjust to fit somewhat, but would this cause my motor to turn off? Also do i have to adjust my timming? Also my distributer was loose and i tried to adjust it, could this be the case that it doesnt turn on??? ANyways Now i am unable to do anything since my ignition switch just busted oh well Shiet happens So which one of these is it? vacum leak? from the plug on the mani timming? Take a gues and help me out please.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My swaped 99 Gsr wont stay on............. (MrPimpon)

Engine codes......what are the codes mang!

They will tell you what to fix.

Probably switched a few plugs like the map sensor and TPS.

Post the codes and we'll help you out.

Old 02-04-2002, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the thing you're describing sounds like the purge valve
Old 02-04-2002, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: My swaped 99 Gsr wont stay on............. (Jared)

Check ur CEL then figure out what you need to wire up first before you start it again. When i did my friends 99 GSR into his 96 hatch i got the thing running and then modified the Civic throttle cable just to drive down to acura. When we got there he went inside and picked up the GSR. We put it on rite there in the parking lot and it was a lot better. I don't really think there is anyway to permanantely modify the Civic's because it is just too long. Good luck fixin ur poo poo. Most likely the MAP sensor, TPS, and EVAP purge solenoid makin ur car die. And be sure to get the primary O2 sensor back in for when the car goes into closed loop.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My swaped 99 Gsr wont stay on............. (JDMspecEG6)

Well i did pull the codes but they didnt really tell (ME) anything cuz i didnt really know where they were at. Also every time i would pull a code the next time it would it would give me another one. Well i know at first it gave me a 7 then I think it was a code 4 something about the crank sensor. Anyways after that, my ignition switch broke i was unable to do anything.... but good news is that my new one from honda auto salvage is coming in today. Bad news is that im leaving to cally tommorow so my hybrid will have to wait for yet a couple of more days
So any idea were that lil thing on my intake mani goe(jared said it was maybe the purge valve)???

[Modified by MrPimpon, 7:17 AM 2/5/2002]

[Modified by MrPimpon, 7:19 AM 2/5/2002]
Old 02-05-2002, 08:39 AM
Trial User

Hook EVERYTHING up before you attempt to start the car. Don't get excited and rush things. Finish the install and then let us know what your problems are.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My swaped 99 Gsr wont stay on............. (Pressurized)

Well i cant hook up my two o2 sensors that go on the exahust side till i take it to a muffler shop to finish hooking up my header (dc 4-2-1). I cant take it to the shop until i get it running. And as far as the open plug on top of the intake mani goes... can you help me out as too where it goes??

HMMMM........why do i feel like i have to post pics to get you guys motivated into helping me out??
Old 02-05-2002, 10:55 AM

well man i dont want to sound like a smart *** but you dont have get it started to get it to the shop. spend 60 bucks and get it towed there before you end up having more problems from trying to run it prematurely. just tryin to help.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get someone with CAR KNOWLEDGE to look at it and tell you what the sensor is. It's not our fault you have no idea what you're looking at and we are suppose to figure it out......

Old 02-05-2002, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My swaped 99 Gsr wont stay on............. (Trey)

Well guys kinda good news, I went to Honda Auto salvage to pickup my new ignition switch and stopped by Hasport and asked them where the hell that stupid hose went, and they showed me it goes to the canister that has a charchol filter. And as far as it not starting im pretty sure now that it just needs to be timmed. Some guy here at work told me that an easy way, althogh not the best way, to time it was to align the crank with the TDC mark and put the distributor rotor on piston plug #1. Has anyone ever done this before? He told me that at least like that then it should start. OHHH and one more huge favor please guys I know this is a stupid question but i was not able to find the stupid bleed bolt for the Antifreeze/Coolant. I have a manual thats for the 96-98 gsr and on that one it has it right in front of the hose on the head! But on my 99 its no-where to be found by my blind eyes!! Where it was on the 98 and older there is nothing there no more!! WTF where did they move it too??

And to the guy above me................just shut up and dont read my post I dont have the time nor do i want to get in it with you.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahahaha

No hard feelings man, I mean if you can't help us help you don't get mad.

I was in your shoes before and try to help when I can.

Hope it gets working for ya.....
Old 02-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My swaped 99 Gsr wont stay on............. (Trey)

QUOTE:

[QUOTE]Just get someone with CAR KNOWLEDGE to look at it and tell you what the sensor is. It's not our fault you have no idea what you're looking at and we are suppose to figure it out......

Well dude its not like i was asking what kinda mounts im suppossed to use, or the all time favriote question How much horespower will this thing and that thing give me, its not like i didnt try to look at a manual, or use the infamous search button. RIGHT??
I mean what is this forum actually for?? For the peeps that know everything about everything?? NO Its for people to share info, and learn while at the same time being fun.

Oh and as for me not having "Car Knowledge" just because i dont know what one sensor is??Ithink that if i took out my motor and stuck the gsr in pretty much by myself I have to have a least some knowledge .....dont ya think well anyways thanx for at least tryig to help but looks like NOW i have everything under control.
I'll post some pics as soon as its done!!
Old 02-06-2002, 05:05 AM

If you have anymore problems or questions, feel free to call my shop. We are in Florida so it might be a long distance phone call. We specialize in building all motor hondas, and I have a former honda Tech. that works my showroom from 1-6PM E.D.T. He'll be happy to answer any technical questions that you might have. Just ask for ADAM, if he's not there ask for Shannon, That's me.
Alternative Autoworks
321-459-2096
Old 02-06-2002, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My swaped 99 Gsr wont stay on............. (alternativeauto)

WOW thanks alot man, and im pretty sure youll get calls from all over the place!!
I really appreciate you wanting to lend me a hand and help me out with my swap, but i think that as soon as i come back from cally all i will need to do is install my new igintion switch and time my motor and she'll be ready to roll. But ill make sure to keep your number just in case.!!