Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My hybrid lives!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My hybrid lives!!!!

Well....I finished my car today, about 2 and one half weeks later. Would have been done last thursday, but I had to wait for a new set ring from honda.

Now I only have one problem.....and it is the problem I did not want to have!! I am getting code 41...which I belive is a primary O2 sensor fault! ****, should put my car into safe mode......

I drove it to my friends work, and I must say it rips pretty well. The gearing is awsome, it sounds great, and the peels that I get into 2nd gear are incredible!

I am not sure if I am getting VTEC or not...with a primary O2 sensor code I don't think I should. However I still think I may be. It seems once the car hits around 6,500 it really goes....now I am using a P72(gsr) ECU, and VTEC in that should be around 4,400......not 6500. I am confused.

Oh yea, the 96 GSR ecu does not put out 2nd o2 sensor error codes....unless it is not plugged in like I have been told. I have the 2nd o2 sensor dangling like people said I should with the p72 and I get nothing bad from it.

I am fixing this bitch tommorow.....!!!

Before.....

After......

Thanks for your support!
Old 06-07-2001, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My hybrid lives!!!! (HXMan)

Awsome man! Good deal..swaps are great huh?

Code 41 is the Primery O2 sensor...you HAVE to rewire it..its really not that bad. Ill try to remember tomorrow as its late now and Im tired

As for VTEC...I dont know if its kicking in or not...but I think you would definately know if it was...so Im guessing its not kickin in.
Old 06-07-2001, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My hybrid lives!!!! (HX_Guy)

Hx_Guy!! Just the person I was lookin for!!

Tell me how to rewire that bastard...please!

I tried to rewire it, but it didn't work.(obvisously) I think I messed up the grounds....or maybe not...I am not sure.

I dropped you an email not long ago...not sure if you use the same address any more. I was asking how you rewired your O2 sensor.
Old 06-08-2001, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Morning! Haha...

Anyway I searched for a few of my old posts...and found one where I wrote how to fix the problem...cut and paste:

Code 41 - Primary O2 sensor circuit malfunction

This was a PAIN IN THE ***! I had to buy a new O2 sensor for this ($70 for a universal unit). A regular O2 sensor (anything other than the HX) has 4 wires - one is a signal to the ECU, one is a ground, and two are to heat the O2 sensor. The HX O2 sensor is a 5 wire however, and only 2 of the 5 are the same as the regular 4 wire sensor(the two heater wires). From the wiring harness side, there are 7 wires...but they get reduced to 5 on the sensor side. What puzzled me was that what the book showed as being a ECU signal and ground for the regular O2 sensor, on the HX it actually looped back into itself and neither of these wires led to the O2 sensor. After studying the wiring schematics for a while...I figured out which three wires I had to tape off, which two I had to add into the regular sensor, and then match the two heater wires. I had to cut off the plug and hard wire the sensor directly into the wiring harness. In the end, I tunred the engine on..and no more code 41!

So anyway...Ill try to claify that a little bit..as after I just read it, it sounds kinda confusing.

So...like I was saying...coming from the wiring harness (car side) there are 7 wires.

2 heater
1 ECU signal
1 ECU signal ground
1 V +
1 V + -
1 V -

On the HX O2 sensor..there are 5 wires..they are:

2 heater
1 V +
1 V + -
1 V -

So..you can see that the (1) ECU signal and (1) ECU signal ground stop at the O2 plug itself.

Now..a "regular" 4-wire sensor uses the following wires:

2 heater
1 ECU signal
1 ECU signal ground

So now if you compare all that..you can see what you have to do. All the wires still go back to the correct ECU pins..even the ECU signal on teh HX...but the ECU itself doesnt actually use it.
So what you need to do...is cut off the HX O2 plug..and splice in a regular 4-wire plug..leaving out the V+ V+ - V- wires (tape them off) and using the 4 regular wires...its really not that hard..just sounds confusing.

Let me know how it works out or if you have any more questions....Ill do my best to remember as its been 6 months since I did this.

Old 06-08-2001, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awsome....

Going to try what you said now....

What I orignally did was run completly new wires for the primary.....oh this aught to be loads of fun.
Old 06-08-2001, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok.......I got one question....there are two identical white wires going to the O2 plug...one is VS+, and the other is the one I need.....which one do I use? Hmmmmm.........
Old 06-08-2001, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok..all the "V" wires are thicker then the other ones...thats how you can tell them apart. Plus..all three "V" wires are grouped together in their orwn wire loom. Hope that helps..let me know how it goes.
Old 06-08-2001, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I am trying....but no go yet....I am using an Si seconday O2 sensor cuz I dont feel like doing all the wiring expirments under the car.

Problem is I dont know what wires for the O2 sensor are what....the sensor has 2 black wires, a green, and a white.

The two black wires have continuity between them on my voltmeter, but the green and the white do not.

Thanks alot man, I am going out side to try some more.
Old 06-08-2001, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Easy easy easy...

Ok..the two black ones are the heater wires...wire them up to the 2 black heater wires on the HX harness side...I dont think it actually matters which goes with what.

The white is the signal wire..so taht should be easy.

The green is the ground for the signal...what I did was splice it into the yellow/black wires that go to the EVAP and fuel injectors. This is teh way it is on an EX..so thats why I spliced it into that. Look at the wiring harness around the fuel injectors..and you will see a yellow/black wire..which is just a ground actually.

Youre almost there..I can feel it
Old 06-08-2001, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well...that didn't seem to work.

I have tried about everything now. I wired the way you said, and I tried wiring the green to a frame ground also....still check engine light. I have even ran completly new wires to the ECU for the white signal wire, and the black/white wire. I still got a frickin code. I switched around the black wires....I am still getting a code. I used a 98 LS ecu...same code. WTF.

Maybe it is because I am using a seconday O2 sensor? But that should not matter, cuz it is still a four wire, and it looks the exact same in the wiring schematic.

Or maybe it is because the O2 sensor is not in the exhuast flow? But that should not matter cuz code 41 is a wiring problem!

[Modified by HXMan, 4:20 PM 6/8/2001]
Old 06-08-2001, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok..check to make sure the heater wires are correctly hooked up...because code 41 stads for "break in heater wire circuit"

Hopefully the O2 sensor itself is not faulty.
Old 06-08-2001, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also...did you try running taht green wire into the ylw/blk wireing of the injectors liek I was saying?
Old 06-08-2001, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried the injector route..that did not work. I also tried to switch the black wires....that did not work.

Code 41 can be for the primary or secondary O2 sensor.....but the only way to tell is by using a code scanner, and I don't have one of those. I may go to a dealership and have them check the code out....maybe it is the secondary O2 sensor.

The wierd thing is I disconnected the signal(white) wire from the O2 sensor also, and I still got the same code.....it seems to me that if the white wire was not connected I should have got a different code?
Old 06-08-2001, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where did you get that information? As far as I know..code 41 is strictly for the Primery O2 sensor...code 65 is for the second (I woild know cause I also had code 65 back in teh day )
Old 06-09-2001, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, you are right, I read the book wrong.....damn, you hade code 41 and 65...that must have really sucked!

Oh, and I haven't fixed it yet, but I am sure I am not in safe mode...or at least not in any "severe" safe mode.