Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My H2b 2000 GSR Build/Restore - Theft Recovery

Old 04-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My H2b 2000 GSR Build/Restore - Theft Recovery

Well I picked this car up a couple months ago and have been basically just buyin parts for it ever since. It was a theft recovery ( Fukin thieves) and needed alot of work.

The first pics are basically how I got it - MINUS front and rear bumpers, door panels, tail lights, one headlight, and one fender. Believe it or not, after the car was recovered the first time some jerks decided to strip it down more and really bare it down to a shell.

The worst part of the deal is when they pulled the engine and ECU they chopped all the harness's. So I figured since I had to pull the chassis harness and replace it I might as well install an OBD1 harness instead. I did some searching and found a complete set of harness's, relays, ignition, and fuse boxes from a 95 5spd GSR. Little did I know how much work this was really gonna be, nor did I realize that I was gonna need a couple more parts to get this to work. For future reference if anyone else ever does this you need the fuel pump, fuel gauge sending unit, and the rear hatch lock actuator as well. Cause for some reason they all have different connectors with a different number of wires to them. (BTW I still haven't received these parts from Swags04) so my rear interior still isn't together.

So here are some starting pics!

Modified by Honda_Fanatic at 9:13 PM 4/7/2008

Last edited by Honda_Fanatic; 05-10-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My H2b 2000 GSR Build/Restore - Theft Recovery (Honda_Fanatic)

The first step for me was to tear it down the rest of the way and get it in my garage so I could work on it. So I removed both doors, the hood, the fender, and completely gutted the interior. And I mean completely. I personally had never done this before, so I took my time and tried to make sure I did everything correct. The only thing I left in place was the harness's so I could install the new ones at the same time to ensure I ran everything correctly and made it fairly OEM.

The below pics show the heater core and blower motor still in the car, but in order to remove the harness I actually had to remove them as well.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since I was messin with all this wiring and I had no intentions of keeping SRS or ABS I went ahead and removed all the wiring associated with it.

I was also removing PS so I found a company on ebay that sells re-manufactured racks and picked up a 92-95 Civic CX rack so I could do it correctly. Another hint of advise for anyone who does this in the future - the manual rack has a different size pinion that the PS rack so you need a manual rack joint. This is the joint that bolts between the rack and the steering column. I had to learn this the hard way as well.

The OBD1 wiring harness is very similar to t he obd2 so the install/ swap was fairly simple. And all said and done, IMO well worth the little extra work it was to do the conversion.

Here are a couple pics of the interior going back together.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once I had gotten that far I decided I may as well throw in the seats and get the steering column back in so I could get it lookin like a real car again.

Keep in mind that I am still waiting for a few parts before I can install the rear/hatch interior. And am also waiting for my JDM ITR steering wheel in the mail.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The next step for me was to start prepping the engine bay. Which meant removing all the ABS crap, and the OEM clutch line. I Found a prop valve on ebay and bought all OEM Honda Brake lines so I could keep it fairly factory looking. However since the prop valve was from a different model car it took a little modding to get it all hooked up. Overall looks fine to me. Also I ordered a Stainless Braided Clutch line which should be here in the next couple days - but it can go in later.

I also did a real nice mod to the valve for the heater core. Since I am keeping heat I wanted to eliminate that big bulky braket that honda uses. All I did was cut a piece of hose and put the valve tight against the heater core. I had to cut the wire for the valve and rewrap it tot he valve lever, but really turned out nice IMO.

Here is just a quick pic of the bay now.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are a few pics of the parts I have so far. I will of course keep this updated as I go!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>
whaaat!!!!!! a single cam

Hope it turns out good for ya
Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My H2b 2000 GSR Build/Restore - Theft Recovery (88ED8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88ED8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
whaaat!!!!!! a single cam

Hope it turns out good for ya </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL - my luck.

The engine was damaged in shipping, cam and cam gear both busted!

New parts on the way!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you call the place you ordered it from? If it's a reputable/good co. they should take care of you.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its all being covered! I had the option of either returning the engine, or buying the parts needed and getting reimbursed the cost. I chose to buy the parts!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn you got a shiny motor!

Good luck with the build man, looks like you've got a great start so far
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My H2b 2000 GSR Build/Restore - Theft Recovery (JayWest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayWest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn you got a shiny motor!

Good luck with the build man, looks like you've got a great start so far </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks bro - gotta make it clean!!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 AM

aint too much longer till you got this beast on the street, so good work man ur engine looks alot cleaner then mine
Old 04-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (randomnineh2b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by randomnineh2b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aint too much longer till you got this beast on the street, so good work man ur engine looks alot cleaner then mine</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks!!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Honda_Fanatic)

Nice!! looks like you have most of the parts needed for the car to run
Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2fast4u831)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2fast4u831 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice!! looks like you have most of the parts needed for the car to run </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just waiting on the new cams and gears, and the new timing components so I can install the swap.

Still haven't gotten my parts from Swags04 though. He hasn't even forwarded me tracking, but he claims he shipped via fed ex on wedneday or thursday. Should be here today!!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet to see another h2b coming around. i miss doing my swap. i had a lot of fun and wouldnt mind doing it all over again. good luck
Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hpi247)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hpi247 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sweet to see another h2b coming around. i miss doing my swap. i had a lot of fun and wouldnt mind doing it all over again. good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sell your car and start over!!

J/K - Thanks!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:07 PM

hahaha damn that would suck to start over again
Old 04-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by randomnineh2b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahaha damn that would suck to start over again </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am enjoying my build and restore process. I have always loved to start new projects. Granted it is extremely time consuming and you are bound to spend a little money. But if your able to enjoy yourself and stay out of trouble in the process, it is worth it in the end.

There is no better feeling than finishing a big project and hearing it start for the first time. Then you look back and say to yourself "I BUILT THIS".
Old 04-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_Fanatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
There is no better feeling than finishing a big project and hearing it start for the first time. Then you look back and say to yourself "I BUILT THIS".</TD></TR></TABLE>
exactly the same perspective i have. its the reason i deal with the rattling, vibration, and random things that constantly need maintenance. also may i add i spent 10k on a car that competes pretty well with vehicles in the 30k range. i love seeing the "wtf" look on someones face.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh, nice to see this project you've been talking about

lookin good
Old 04-08-2008, 03:10 PM

+1 to the lifestyle of building your own cars
Old 04-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice to see another h2b build!!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hpi247 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
exactly the same perspective i have. its the reason i deal with the rattling, vibration, and random things that constantly need maintenance. also may i add i spent 10k on a car that competes pretty well with vehicles in the 30k range. i love seeing the "wtf" look on someones face. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ahh, nice to see this project you've been talking about

lookin good </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you!! You have been alot of help

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by randomnineh2b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">+1 to the lifestyle of building your own cars</TD></TR></TABLE> So much more gratification when you do it yourself.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bjones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice to see another h2b build!!</TD></TR></TABLE> Will be rollin soon!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My H2b 2000 GSR Build/Restore - Theft Recovery