Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si LS-V Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si LS-V Build

I originally posted this in the '92-'00 honda civic delsol forum I didn't get the kind of feedback I was hoping for, so I'll be moving eveything over from there to here.

So here is the story, I bought this 1993 Honda Civic Si all Stock (aside form a Pioneer Deck) from an older couple from the city of Toronto (Not like it matters but they had it towed straight to my front door by CAA which was pretty sweet) off of Kijiji. Anyways the thing that really caught my eye about this specific Honda is 1. It had all the Si features (power sunroof, power mirrors, power steering etc.) 2. brand new Kumho tires and a nearly brand new clutch (400km), 3. the wife has been the original owner since 1993! 4. And she had Honda do all of the work on the car.

But like any typical Canadian Honda it has that terrible terrible Honda rust, also the car needed a new headgasket, and a couple of other things to get it going. It was relativly clean on the interrior, the driver's side door was lightly rusted on the bottom and the door was out of alignment (meaning it didn't sit properly it hung down a bit so there was constant rubbing at the bottom), and the bumpers were a little rough, along with the rocker pannels.

I figured I got a decent deal considering she brought it to my drive-way from Toronto (I live out in Barrie which is approx. 1 hour drive from Toronto) and the fact that it was 1 owner, lady driven, and all paper work was present.

Now the plans for this little beast. My initial plan was to build an LS-Vtec and when I go to University I would turbo it the summer of. So here we go;

1991 B16a Head
1993 B18a1 Block
1995 GSR Transmission with LSD
New Inner and Outer Tie-rod ends, ball joints, and sway bar links
ITR Rear Sway Bar
New OEM LCA (Can't afford Function7s yet so there no point in being ricey)
New OEM Front Bumper, Fenders, and Hood
Temporary Used Headers (before I get attacked these are temporary just until the car is prepared for turbo)
Lowering Springs (I want to get Progressive CS-II's later on 350/350)
Powder Coat all suspension arms/components (Forks,etc.)
Used 2.5" Jasma/5zigen Exhaust
Front&Rear strut bars
450 DSM Injectors
Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump
Re-done p28 ECU&Harness (Just clean it up with electrical tape and labels)
Chipped with Ostrich 2.0 ^
Repainted with Milano Red (as it is now)
OEM Driver Door
Cut out and re-weld in new rear quarter pannels.

This is pretty much it for the next little while, I have my own list for the turbo kit already, but this is what is getting worked on for now. But at the moment it is tear down time. Just so you guys have a little information on me, I am 15 (obviously in highschool) so I may come across as a dumbass on some issues that I may encounter, so have mercy .

I also realise that my list seems all over the place, but this is just what I have written down for everything before turbo in my little wish-list journal (I like being organized when it comes to projects).

And now the pictures of the morning after the day we got it.

Oh! And thank you too grumblemarc for showing me how to properly upload photos from photobucket into a forum/thread.

The morning after $800

Next I began the tear down.

Rust ):

D16Z6

Bought an exhaust system with Magna Flow resonator Jasma/5Zigen muffler

New rear quarters. 180$

Donor car got dropped off for 1,000$

Brand new front bumper and passanger Sweet.

Smashed up passanger side, hit by full size pick up, not even 10kmph

Riced out interior (I don't like the Integra interior on an eg. IMO)

1991 Honda B16a w/ rebuilt GSR transmission (2011)

So far the Donor car has a b16a complete, GSR tranny w/ LSD, Exedy Stage I clutch, resurfaced OEM flywheel, and Chipped p28 with vtech at 5000rpm and redline at 8000rpm.

Got the motor out of the red eg.

How she sat over night after the engine pull getting prepped for pressure wash.

Pressure wash'd, very clean IMO

Moving it over to the left side, so we can drive the donor in for tear down.

Began taking apart the engine bay for the pull.

Bought a new OEM Hood and Fender for a good deal of 182.73 taxes in

Autobody tool kit on sale

Engine stand with custom honda screws

Second PS rack dropped off and ready for rebuild (3 racks in total)
Old

New Tierod ends

Found them on ebay, the kit was 87$ Shipped to Canada on sale. They seem pretty good.

Pulled apart the interior of the donor car

Pulled out the B16a

Separated the engine and tranny

On stand

Gross engine bay

Now I finally finished ripping apart the interior and pulled out the ECU and Harness for prep.

Exedy Stage I Clutch

Pressure washed

Pulled out the andonized shift linkage

How she sits as of now

Found my DSM Injectors from my Dads car that was going to be mine, if insurance wasn't so high.. But I love my Honda.

Just to give an idea of how we're going to fix the rust underneith the tailights

Cut along the black line and weld it in on the red eg.

Oh! And my power goals when all said and done (and trust me for the turbo upgrades I have read a lot and I am going to with GO-Autoworks cast starter kit with mishimoto intercooler kit that I have used from a friend that i can pickup when its ready, eventually, I have a lot of internals I want to upgrade but lets take this one step at a time) are 350whp on Premium 91 octance.

Oh and another thing, (sorry I am rambling) this will NOT be my Daily Driver as my grandparents have been ever so loving in giving me their 1999 Saturn L-Series that I can use for winter and rain day driving while the civic is in the shop. (No sarcasm intended).

Thanks for reading, this thread is still up where it was originally posted, you can give it a look, its slightly more detailed in post purposes.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si LS-V Build

I have a couple of questions;

GSR ARP Head studs will work with this application, correct?
Will I also need ARP GSR or would it be the LS Main studs/bolts? Are they even nessessary?
Does Honda or Partsource/Carquest/Autozone sell OEM Honda Oil and Water pumps? I guess I should call and ask.
Would a thicker or thinner headgasket be a good idea to increase or decrease compression?
Would a regular integra fuel rail benefit my build? I figured it could have been a cheap upgrade.
Considering I am doing a lot of body work, what would you guys recommend for body filler? I guess I should take that question over to the autobody section but just incase!

Thats all for now, let me know if you guys have any ideas for me.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si LS-V Build

Can anyone answer my questions above?