Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dumb questions for all the pro swappers out there...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dumb questions for all the pro swappers out there...

92 CX hatch, i will be purchasing a gsr motor....soon...
what will i need to buy...i think that i will be buying it from hmotorsonline on there it says it needs axles, shift linkage, and mounts...

axles: do i need special axles to fit in my hatch? What axles do i need to buy?

shift linkage will be the same between the gsr and the hatch right?

mounts: do i need to get new mounts of can i use the stock ones i have, i know i should buy them, but what is the reality?

obd1/2: if i get a 94-95 gsr motor, do i need to worry bout this stuff?

oh yeah...almost forgot....the catalytic convertor to...whats the best way to do that? I know it needs to be made longer, but on the cx i have the precat and yea.. Do i need to buy a aftermarket header as well?

i think thats all...anything else you can think of let me know...please?!?!?!
Old 10-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My dumb questions for all the pro swappers out there... (teknik_civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teknik_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">axles: do i need special axles to fit in my hatch? What axles do i need to buy? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No special axles, just 94+ integra axles

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teknik_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shift linkage will be the same between the gsr and the hatch right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you need 94+ integra shift linkage

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teknik_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mounts: do i need to get new mounts of can i use the stock ones i have, i know i should buy them, but what is the reality?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need the rear transmission bracket, the A/C mount (get a del sol DOHC VTEC A/C mount to keep your A/C, p54), and the front side transmission mount from 94+ integra.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teknik_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">obd1/2: if i get a 94-95 gsr motor, do i need to worry bout this stuff? </TD></TR></TABLE>

IF it is OBD1, it is pretty much plug and play (if it is USDM, IF JDM, you have too use you stock harness or get a GSR or 92-95 EX/SI harness). You will have to wires up knock and IAB(for the GSR or EX/SI harness, if you reuse your CX harness, you will have to wire up Vtec to the shock tower harness and wire up the Four wire o2.). All 92 model civics are pre-wired with Vtec from the shock tower to the ECU. IF it is OBD2 (usdm), you will use the Stock OBD2 harness and plug it in to the CX harness (shock tower) and run IAB and knock sensor and get a OBD1 p72 (GSR) ECU and you are set. IF the swap is JDM, reuse your stock harness, and you will have to rewire the dizzy, alt., and injectors. or get a OBD2 GSR harness and run a OBD1 p72 (you will have to run IAB and knock to the ECU).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teknik_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh yeah...almost forgot....the catalytic convertor to...whats the best way to do that? I know it needs to be made longer, but on the cx i have the precat and yea.. Do i need to buy a aftermarket header as well?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just take it to a muffler shop and extend the pipe.

Thank Katman and poison for the diagrams.

EDIT: for the four wire o2 if you have to rewire it.
O2 Sensor Input - WHT to D14 (needs to be a shielded wire)
Heater Control - BLK to A6
Sensor Ground - GRN to D22
Sensor Voltage - BLK to A25 or B1
Old 10-03-2003, 09:33 AM

Default Re: My dumb questions for all the pro swappers out there... (turbogixxer)

couldnt have said it better myself
Old 10-03-2003, 09:45 AM

Default Re: My dumb questions for all the pro swappers out there... (turbogixxer)

holy crap....thanks that was a amazing answer...i think im ready now....

one more question, when purchasing a cat back system...should i get it for the Si hatch, or does it matter..

i have a 92 so i don't need to worry bout the wiring then...right?
Old 10-03-2003, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My dumb questions for all the pro swappers out there... (teknik_civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teknik_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one more question, when purchasing a cat back system...should i get it for the Si hatch, or does it matter..</TD></TR></TABLE>

does not matter, any 92-95 hatch trim level will work.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teknik_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 92 so i don't need to worry bout the wiring then...right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it matter what OBD the swap is and what harness you use.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did this swap just a week ago, runs great motor is an obd2 , i didnt need to change any wires i just pluged my stock harnes into the one on the motor, and got a obd 1 and plugged the car into that , runs great, no codes, and once in a while the speedometer will drop out and not work, basiacally thats the only problem, and vtec wiring is project for this week
if there is something i need to do tell me
-Peace
Old 10-03-2003, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dayam kenny!! very nice answer. much props
Old 10-04-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Re: My dumb questions for all the pro swappers out there... (poison)

thanks for all your help guys....if you think of anything else let me know....
Old 10-04-2003, 10:31 AM

Nice.....Excellent info.. Correct me if im wrong, but if you end up changing your cat you can go with an integra cat to make up the space in your exhaust so it will bolt right up to your civic exhaust and header.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if im putting a b16 2nd gen into a 93 ex coupe eg will the rear mount work or no?
Old 10-07-2003, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (doublejz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doublejz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if im putting a b16 2nd gen into a 93 ex coupe eg will the rear mount work or no?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you have to have a 94+ integra B-series mount trans bracket, but the stock (civic) mount will work.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (SinTeg21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SinTeg21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Correct me if im wrong, but if you end up changing your cat you can go with an integra cat to make up the space in your exhaust so it will bolt right up to your civic exhaust and header.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The B16 header will bolt to the factory Civic exhaust without any mods. You can use an Integra or Civic cat because they are the same length. The GSR header is the one that will come up short, about 4" short.