Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Differential when bad Today!!!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Differential when bad Today!!!??

I got F&$@ today guys. My differential when bad. Read my stiuation and please verify that i m right.

5 gear shift fine and smoothly but start going into gear, driver side wheel have a tendency to have a poping sensation. At first, i thought it was the driver side axle so i went my local part store and exchange my axle (have lifetime warentee).

Put it in and the bitch still pop/knock same way. The ball joints was next and i inspected it to be fine and turns smoothly.

I lift the car with both wheel up, turn on the engine, put it into 2nd and slowy slowy release the clutch. It was fine, with light noise. Afterward, i put it to first gear and let go of the clutch, bitch had a poping and knocking noise when the wheel start to turn. I notice it would do this with ever gear from 1st to 5th, if i let go of the clutch quickly, it would make the same noise/knocking action.

Looking under the car....i notice a trail of tranny fluid on the car that had gotten there by driving and wind blown on.

Narrowed it down and it is the differential.

Concluding with all the sympton in my year of workin on car, i believe the b16 tranny that i recieve 6 month ago have slightly bad differiential. With leaking tranny fluid from somwhere didn't help either.

In retrospect to my past now, i notice that the car shake and vibrate at low rpm once in awhile. A week ago, i start to notice i have squeaking noice at low speed from starting to 30mph. At first i thought it was the break/axle queaking from the rust and i neglect to noice b/c i was busy with school work and other stuff (FU#@ me in the *** now)

To make the situation worse, i drove 2 hours to my gf apartment and the noise became noticable to me. I m towing the car to my apartment b/c the knocking/poping noise is bad. I don't want it to the point that i can't rebuild the tranny. . $230 down the drain is better than $800 buck for my tranny.

Please take time to read my situation, any advice/experience with same situation is good for me. I don't want to take the tranny out, open the case and find out that i am an idioit.

My setup is a Ls motor/ b16 hydro tranny with other mods done.
Thanks, Anthony
Old 02-21-2004, 10:01 AM

Default Re: My Differential when bad Today!!!?? (ProJectCvic)

Cliff notes for the lazy mechanic:

1. Tranny poping and knocking driver side tire led me to belief my b16 tranny differential is bad.

2. There was a sqeaking noise starting a week ago.

3. After my swap about 6 months ago, the car would vibrator if little gas if given at low rmp

4. READ my post!!!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:07 AM

bump while waiting for my friend to pick my up two hours from home
Old 02-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProJectCvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cliff notes for the lazy mechanic: </TD></TR></TABLE>

hhaah, does it make a sounds when downshifting?
Old 02-21-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Re: My Differential when bad Today!!!?? (turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hhaah, does it make a sounds when downshifting?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sup Kenny, it seems like when ever i put down a lot of gas or turing around corners it does it. Also does it the most when starting from stop. I m pretty sure it is the differential though.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:10 PM

All gear shift in smoothly, so think the pin in the differential
Old 02-21-2004, 02:19 PM

when i was driving, it was kind of hard to turn a couple of time
Old 02-21-2004, 03:53 PM

bump
Old 02-21-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check you wheel bearings. I have seen them do that before. At least check them so you know it is not them.

What you been up to? Have not seen you on online in a bit.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:26 PM

you said you noticed that your tranny was leaking? could it be just really low on fluid?? but then if you are low on fluid, a few gears mite pop out, which you didnt mention.

A differential isnt that bad... i'm sure you can find somebody that will sell you a stock b16a diff, somebody that has installed an LSD.. or maybe its time for an LSD for you...

BTW, I have a stock gsr differential lying around. For it to fit, you have to use gsr ring gear. If you're interested let me know
Old 02-22-2004, 09:30 AM

Default Re: My Differential when bad Today!!!?? (turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check you wheel bearings. I have seen them do that before. At least check them so you know it is not them.

What you been up to? Have not seen you on online in a bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've check the wheel bearing. They rotates smoothly...so not them. Yea man, i m kinda busy now with school work and all.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mingbling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you said you noticed that your tranny was leaking? could it be just really low on fluid?? but then if you are low on fluid, a few gears mite pop out, which you didnt mention.

A differential isnt that bad... i'm sure you can find somebody that will sell you a stock b16a diff, somebody that has installed an LSD.. or maybe its time for an LSD for you...

BTW, I have a stock gsr differential lying around. For it to fit, you have to use gsr ring gear. If you're interested let me know</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've tried to add tranny fluid to full...didn't work for me

True, a differential isn't that bad since i m pulling the tranny case to put in the LS 5th gear and new clutch anyways. Still this is ahead of schudule. I really wannted do it in the summer. Now i m carless for a while . It's cool though i have friend that will drive me around

Thanks to everyone giving their input. Keep them comming
Old 02-22-2004, 07:25 PM