Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is misfiring... help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is misfiring... help!

Ok, this has been an impossible problem to solve. The car (a 92 CX with a B16A) will misfire at seemingly random times. It happens in conditions from light load cruising to WOT. The first crack at this was to replace the plugs, wires, and rebuild the distributor, no luck. Next, the valves were checked. A few were bent, but they were repaired and the problem is persisting. The problem will temporarily clear if the ECU is cleared, but will begin to return after about ten or fifteen minutes. The computer has temporarily been replaced with an SOHC VTEC ECU I had laying around to see if the old computer was the trouble, but after about a week, the problem has begun again. The timing is in check, and on the SOHC computer, the car is getting 27mpg in the city and 40mpg (!) on the highway, so a leaky injector is unlikely. The timing is also correctly set. So basically, I'm stuck Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2002, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My car is misfiring... help! (ATXhybrid)

whoa! i didnt know it was possible to run a b16 on a sohc vtec ecu....that may be a good idea to swap ecu's if you are going ona long trip...or just want good gas milage...do you have any power at all? does it even engage vtec?
Old 08-25-2002, 07:37 PM

Default Re: My car is misfiring... help! (thekori)

Yeah, you can run on a SOHC VTEC computer, but not a non-VTEC computer. It isn't very fun though. The VTEC switch is at 5500rpm , but fuel cut off is at 7200 The tuning is also waaay conservative. It seriously sucks it. I usually run a chipped ECU, but I use the stock ECU for long highway drives.

Anybody got any ideas on the misfiring? Please? (insert desperation here...)
Old 08-25-2002, 08:25 PM

Default Re: My car is misfiring... help! (ATXhybrid)

I'm not a pro with the whole ECU thing but how does the second set of cams know what to do? I mean of course it just turns on the belt but something just doens't sound right about that. I'd change the ECU and see what happens.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My car is misfiring... help! (hndarcr)

a 92 civic w/ a b16... im gessing its a swap?.. how long ago was the swap done.. u might wanna check the wire harness. a crimp or connection could be almost loose.. cuz if u said it misfires at random times.. i would check the wires for the fuel system and the distributor.... just a thought.......
Old 08-25-2002, 11:48 PM

Default Re: My car is misfiring... help! (hondaZvic)

hmm... not a bad idea actually... The swap was done a year and a half ago, and not everything was fully loomed. I'll have to take a look when the sun comes up.