Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My B18C1 EG HATCH has been sitting in my garage for the past 13 years...

Old 06-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My B18C1 EG HATCH has been sitting in my garage for the past 13 years...

...to make a long story short. I wrecked my 99 Integra GSR in 2002. The next year I bought my phantom grey 93 CX Hatch and swapped all the mechanical parts (engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc) into hatch. Got everything running good and drove it a bit the next year. Originally intended to make it an auto-cross/road course car, but then life happened...new career, marriage, kids, etc. And the car has just been sitting in my garage since like 2003/4....I have probably only put like 300 miles on the car in the last decade, really. I didn't let it completely go to waste. I would occasionally drive it around the block or just start it up and let it run for 10 mins, just in an attempt to keep the juices flowing so to speak. But it would sit for months at a time. On average I would say I would start the car once every few months, Perhaps the longest between starts was maybe 9months or so. I know this sounds hard to believe but it's true. This has been the cars life the past decade. I did use fuel stabilizer and did flush the oil perhaps every year or so. Flushed the brake and tranny fluid a couple times over that time frame.

So my question I about what I should do maintenance wise. Now that I want to finish what I started. It does run. It actually runs quit good. Just recently I have changed ALL fluids in the car. Everything still seems to work. It does appear as though it just isn't running right. I think the timing may be off...just haven't checked that yet. I will replace the spark plugs and wires. I wonder about the fuel injectors, fuel filter, and pump though? I'll probably replace them anyway. I think I detect a little backfire. I will also replace all the belts too, just to be safe...thought they seem to be in good shape. I have been babying it when I drive it recently (obviously) but VTEC does seem to engage as does the dual stage intake plenums as rpms rise. The biggest thing I notice is that it appears as though the clutch seriously slips or something. If I even remotely tip into the throttle hard the engine just revs high and the isn't really accelerating faster, so I guess that's the clutch seriously slipping?

What else should I do? I'm mainly interested in making sure the engine is bullet proof for high rpms driving as I would like to do some road course driving. Other then adjusting the valves and perhaps replacing some gaskets and seals (valve cover gasket, cam seals, etc) do you think anything internal in the engine would need a rebuild? How would the piston rings be? Any concerns with the crankshaft? I would love some feedback.

And by the way. When I wrecked my GSR it only had like 58k miles on it and when swapped it into the hatch I got a mint JDM R 4.785 transmission and put a new clutch and all new belts in the car. The civic chassis had about 123k miles on it at the time.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My B18C1 EG HATCH has been sitting in my garage for the past 13 years...

basic tune up like you said. but i would also check the hose for any cracks or leaks.
i wouldn't worry too much about the internals, unless you start burning a lot of oil.
if you want, you can give me the car, and ill take real good care of her
Old 06-06-2016, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My B18C1 EG HATCH has been sitting in my garage for the past 13 years...

Thanks for the Feedback...