Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more F20B questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more F20B questions.

Hi everyone. I am gathering everything I need for a F20b swap for my 98 hatchback. I am planning on doing it on the cheap, but do it right. this is my plan:

innovative mounts
accord transmission
90-91 integra axles
91-93 accord intermediate shaft
2001 accord shifter plate and cables
civic hx harness
stock PCB ecu.
OEM or stage 1 clutch

I am aware of the differencies between the hx harness and the f20b, and am in the process of making the necessary changes to it.

Rather than spending $450 on a tune plus another $200 for a p28 ecu, I want to run the PCB ecu. That is more than the engine is worth making it not worth it for me. I am aware of the immobilizer issue with the PCB ecu, which leads to to the first question. Is anyone here running a F20B swap with a stock PCB ECU?

next question. Does anyone know what type of immobilizer the PCB ecu has (fx01, FX02, A0)? I have looked extensively online, but cannot finds anything specific for it.

Would there be any problems if I discard the intake air bypass and I just leave it open? Will it throw any codes?

Can I just ground the power steering pressure switch? will it throw any codes for that?

thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

Default Re: more F20B questions.

I know you're trying to go cheap, but I would suggest getting Innovative axles as well. Their axles are designed to fit perfectly with their mounts, and are better than oem so....speaking from experience.

Unfortunately, i don't know anything about that ecu.

By intake air bypass I assume you are referring to the IACV. In that case, it is fine to discard it, as long as you have a blockoff plate. I don't think it will throw a code (though I could be wrong, I'm tuned on Neptune). Your engine will run just fine. Except in very cold/below freezing weather. So if you live up north, don't do it.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

IAB is the secondary intake runner bypass valve... butterfly valves. Chances are good you will throw a code if you leave it unplugged, however, as long as you have a solenoid plugged in, the vacuum box can be deleted and you could straight connect it to a vacuum source. Here is your problem: The stock PCB ECU will expect the secondary runners to open at a specific RPM... so you really need to properly connect them.

Do you have the immobilizer ring and matching key ???
Old 10-07-2015, 03:14 PM

Wow I went stupid for a minute haha thanks for the correction. Haven't run IABs in three years
Old 10-08-2015, 03:00 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IAB does not throw a code.

good luck with getting the pcb ecu to work lot of guys have had headaches with that. maybe you will get lucky but mostly they have issues with evap emissions and egr where that ecu is pretty finicky, not to say it doesnt run, just has a check engine light on all the time.

and last i knew power steering was not an emissions component so no code there either.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the replies. I am trying to get everything ready and leave the engine and ecu for last, so once I get them (which I have already sourced and priced) I can start working on putting everything together right away. For now, I have the mounts and already rewired the harness, and also am about the get the transmission. I want an accord trans because I want long gears. I do mostly highway driving and don't want to be doing 4000RPM at only 70mph. I had an accord before and currently have a civic CX, and love having long gears.

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
IAB is the secondary intake runner bypass valve... butterfly valves. Chances are good you will throw a code if you leave it unplugged, however, as long as you have a solenoid plugged in, the vacuum box can be deleted and you could straight connect it to a vacuum source. Here is your problem: The stock PCB ECU will expect the secondary runners to open at a specific RPM... so you really need to properly connect them.

Do you have the immobilizer ring and matching key ???
I do not have the immobilizer ring or matching key. I am planning on trying to bypass the immo. I was trying to find pics online of that ECU in order to try to find out what type it is so I can order the bypass and install it as soon as I get the engine and ECU.

Originally Posted by v4lu3s
IAB does not throw a code.

good luck with getting the pcb ecu to work lot of guys have had headaches with that. maybe you will get lucky but mostly they have issues with evap emissions and egr where that ecu is pretty finicky, not to say it doesnt run, just has a check engine light on all the time.

and last i knew power steering was not an emissions component so no code there either.
From looking at the manuals on both cars it looks like the JDM system is a little different. looks like the evap valve the civic has at the tank is different. I did not get there yet, but I was plannin to see I the one from an accord can be adapted to my tank. Regarding the ps sensor it's great, because I can use that wire for knock sensor.

Regarding The axles I am gonna stick with the integra ones because because I can get them for cheap, but if worse comes to worst, I'll probably get the innovative ones.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:11 AM

We have been unable to successfully bypass the immobilizer in the PCB ECU. We have a lot of experience in this on other ECU's, so I'd recommend looking into other options (ie: tunable OBD1 ECU setup).

Best of luck!
Old 10-10-2015, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HAMOTORSPORTS
We have been unable to successfully bypass the immobilizer in the PCB ECU. We have a lot of experience in this on other ECU's, so I'd recommend looking into other options (ie: tunable OBD1 ECU setup).

Best of luck!
Thanks for your reply. This gets better and better. Everything I find about this ECU seems to be a roadblock.

I have a question for you now. What is it exactly that the ECU does when it doesn't detect the right key? just cut the fuel?
Old 10-13-2015, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by asinclado
Thanks for your reply. This gets better and better. Everything I find about this ECU seems to be a roadblock.

I have a question for you now. What is it exactly that the ECU does when it doesn't detect the right key? just cut the fuel?
It will not power on the injector circuits, fuel pump relay, and ignition output. To put it simply, you will want to use a different ECU.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, I guess I will go the P28 route then. By buying a chipped P28 ECU with a F20b basemap, Do I still need to have it tuned if running it completely stock?
Old 10-21-2015, 06:44 PM

No, you will not require tuning because a p28 with a f20b map is the same as having and f20b ecu. You may even be able to get away with a few bolt ons
Old 10-22-2015, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I am not afraid of all the electrical or mechanical part, but never messed with fuel injection tuning, so I want something plug and play in that matter. I guess I am going the P28 route then.