Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing Valvetrain components... Intelligent discussion only

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing Valvetrain components... Intelligent discussion only

I have been looking for replacement JUN springs/T1 retainers for the B18c5 cyl head that I purchased with said valvetrain components installed, that had a valve drop destroying one spring and retainer and leaving all the retainers in that cylinder (with massive CC damage) questionable.

I bought the damaged head for a bargain and want to salvage the premium valvetrain off of it for my TurboB16 project.

My plans are to test every spring for seating pressure and fully clamped pressure, check for coil straightness, binding etc.

I will UV dye every retainer and check for microfractures. I expect to replace at least Two retainers.

Because JUN valvetrain components are ****ing impossible to find sold separately for less than $399 PER SPRING and $299 PER RETAINER, I am thinking about using some super-tech springs/retainers in 2-4 of the valves while the rest remain JUN. My anticipated redline is 9400-9600 RPM. The primary reason for doing this is budget. I expect that the seating pressure and overall mass between JUN and supertech will not be far from each-other, so harmonic loading on the camshafts or timing assembly is of little concern since all ther materials are relativity the same.

Is there any reason I should NOT mix-and-match JUN with Supertech spring/retainers, and any thoughts on this/suggestions?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mixing Valvetrain components... Intelligent discussion only

bump? Anyone know where to find individual Supertech Springs/retainers?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While using a valve spring that will effectively control the valve does not need to have the same name, for the sake of reliability and diagnostics, use the same brand for all of them.

The parts are made from different metals, from different plants, and at different times, reason enough.

And if that doesn't convince you, the fact that valvetrain parts are commonly sold in sets is reason too.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all good reasons... but when two parts of a 16 part valvetrain set have failed due to negligence, and the rest are unharmed, why throw out the 14 good pieces when they can be re-used? I aim to replace the jun valve-springs with equal seat pressure and rate springs from a manufacturer that actually sells individual springs. there are few, ferra being one. Unfortunately, the only Ferra valvesprings that closely match the JUN springs specifications require removal of the spring seat, whereas the JUN's do not. I am flustered...
Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You could say the same for replacing a single piston in your engine, or just the one piston ring, now that most people can relate to and know that it would not be wise.

I would get a new set, and sell yours as spares to the next guy, less of a headache that way.