Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor oversight, need info on OBDII to OBDI conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor oversight, need info on OBDII to OBDI conversion

Somehow I got my years messed up, and My B16 is a 95, and not a 97, My car is a 96, need help w/ whats needed to convert to obdi
Old 10-04-2001, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Minor oversight, need info on OBDII to OBDI conversion (DragIIcivic)

All you need is the conversion harness...they sell for $250-300. Or if you have time on your hands you can make your own. You will need the ECU connector from a 96-98 ECU, and the engine harness wires from an OBD1 Civic...if your engine came with the harness you should be all set. Just buy a junk 96-98 civic ECU, that should supply you with the connector.
http://www.jdmhondaparts.com sells the conversion harnesses.

You know all about using your original engine wiring harness on the new engine and all that right?

One thing that I am not sure about, the OBD1 engine may use different connectors at some of the sensors, and will have a few less then your d16y8.

[Modified by HXMan, 9:45 PM 10/4/2001]
Old 10-04-2001, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Minor oversight, need info on OBDII to OBDI conversion (HXMan)

Any links to making one?
Old 10-04-2001, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Minor oversight, need info on OBDII to OBDI conversion (DragIIcivic)

Here is the thread!
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=67778
Old 10-04-2001, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres the deal, your gona need to make the ecu converter, thats about it and switch some plugs on your current y8 engine harness, other than you should be good, you should only have to change injectors, alternator and these other few are maybes as i dont remember but iacv or whatever is on the back of your intake manifold, and iat which is air intake temp sensor. dont even bother with the harness that will maybe come or came with the current engine.

cheers mail me at homygray@prodigy.net if you need anyhting else as i just helped a friend convert his 97 dx hatch to a obd1 with a lude engine so no worrys
Old 10-04-2001, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cripes..thanks for the link, but that looks like a serious bootch to do it
Old 10-04-2001, 07:44 PM
B18C-EJ1

Somehow I got my years messed up, and My B16 is a 95, and not a 97, My car is a 96, need help w/ whats needed to convert to obdi
Go to http://www.thepartstrader.com and find your self a 99-2k SI engine harness. Plug and pray
Old 10-04-2001, 08:40 PM
New User

Default Re: Minor oversight, need info on OBDII to OBDI conversion (B18C-EJ1)

hey ben (90accord1) did the conversion and i ordered my converter from prospeed-performance.com for 175 and i sent him the plugs caouse i was to lazy to make it i shoulc get it tommorrw.
if you have any questions jzeien1@home.com
later
Old 10-05-2001, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Minor oversight, need info on OBDII to OBDI conversion (misledyouth)

Hey hey hey...you don't need to get a conversion harness...there is no need to (unless you have the OBD 1 ecu). All you need is an ECU from a Del Sol. And if you really want to get creative, use the wiring harness from the Sol also. That will work with the least amount of hassle.

But, if you already have the ECU, do the converter thing...that would work best.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:11 AM
New User

Default Re: Minor oversight, need info on OBDII to OBDI conversion (fowler)

I did the same in my latest engine conversion, and chosing not to spend the 300 (canadian)that some guy was asking up here - I did the re-wiring myself.

I really wish that I had found that thread when I was prepping for the project, since I ended up doing the cross-referrencing on the Helms manuals also, only difference is I opted for soldering the OBDI plugs directly to the OBDII harness.

I'm not sure if fowler's suggestion about the DelSol ECU is true, but it's worth a try if you can find one; the main reason for not being able to use the 96+ teg ecu's are that they'd be looking for 1.) the secondary O2 sensor, and 2.) the crankshaft speed fluctuation sensor. I don't know if the 96 Delsol didn't have these sensors but if that's the case then it will probably work.

Aside from the ECU side, you'll need the following OBDII components (or you can use the OBDI parts and re-splice the plugs)

Distributor
Alternator
Injectors

you may also need to extend a few wires in order to let the plugs reach the new sensor positions on the new engine. I found it easier to remove the conduit/cowling and try to re-route the wiring as mush as possible, only cutting and splicing more wire when it's absolutely necessary. Other weird FYI's, since I was using an automatic OBDII harness (bought from a wreckers) the IACV plug was a square 4-wire plug rather than the round 2-wire plug that the manual harness required.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Minor oversight, need info on OBDII to OBDI conversion (T_Sem)

Well, when you use the OBD1 converter harness, you don't need to change anything. Distributor and all that fun stuff all work fine. My suggestion was basically the easiest way to do it without switching to OBD 1.

If I were you though (DragCivic), I would just use my stock harness, add the specific wires and run an OBD 1 ecu. You don't NEED to, but I just think that it would be the better setup, tuning wise.
Old 10-05-2001, 12:22 PM
New User

Cool.

Fowler: the "OBDI conversion harness" that I know of is the one that plugs between the stock OBDII harness and the ECU, allowing the use of the OBDI ecu.. this one still requires that the OBDII harness (since it's a one-piece from engine sensors to ECU) is hung on the engine, meaming most of the sensor plugs are still OBDII and so not all plugs are compatible to the ODBI engine.

Which is the harness that you're referring to? It sounds like it's got all the plugs (distributor, injectors etc) already re-spliced for the OBDI engine and would have made the job much easier.. any other info would be appreciated.
Old 10-05-2001, 01:05 PM

I'm talking about the same thing that you are. Just the little harness between the ecu and the harness plugs. I'm running it right now and didn't have to change a single thing. Just plug and play.

OBD 2 ver.2 - OBD 1
Old 10-05-2001, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hehe I need to start paying attention.....reread my invoice, ran some #'s it IS a 97 afterall, so it'll drop right in....

DOH!

thanks for all the responses though..it's good to know.
Old 10-05-2001, 02:05 PM

lol
Old 10-07-2001, 02:09 PM
New User

Drag: cool stuff!

Fowler: And you're using an OBDI engine? how'd the distributor plugs match up?! How about injectors? dude, just really curious now.
Old 10-08-2001, 06:58 PM

No no...my set up is all encompassing.

Car: OBD 2 Version 2
Motor: OBD 2 Version 1
ECU: OBD 1 using adapting harness to OBD 2 version 2 cabin plugs.
Old 10-09-2001, 03:51 AM
New User

sweet..

sorry for the confusion, the situation I thought Drag' was in (and my own setup) was:

Car: OBD 2 Version 2
Motor: OBD 1
ECU: OBD 1 using adapting harness to OBD 2 (or in my case full re-wire).

Old 10-10-2001, 04:34 AM
New User

this thread is sort of hard to follow. i have to do the same stuff. obdI h22a harness in a 96 civic.

should i just plug all the h22a sensors. and hardwire in the main relay harness(green).

what was all the soldering for.

do obdII cars have the tcm. transmission control module. that's the part throwing me off right now.
please help