Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MASSIVE D16Y8 Head Onto D15B7/8 Block MiniMe Swap Writeup!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

an*
Old 12-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (l2ichard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by l2ichard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">an* </TD></TR></TABLE>

The 1992-1995 Blocks *Including D15B AFAIK* have a shorter deck height than the D16Y7/8, so Yes, you are off half a tooth.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:14 AM

ohhh ok well yea i have the jdm d15b block... on my 96 civic ex.. finially.. i had this car for a year .. looking for ton of info to find out why my cars lags before 5500 rpm, so thanks alot. and you replied quickly...

after i install the cam gear and ill let you know how my car runs kk thanks dasfinc

Old 12-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Remeber if you are buying an adj. gear, buy it for a 1992-1995 Civic or you will only have like 2.5* of advanced adjustability.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:54 AM

even if i have a y8 head? and dizzy and everything.. except the block which is a jdm d15b
Old 12-23-2007, 10:08 AM

well will it fit on correctly.? :]
Old 12-23-2007, 10:57 AM

and what do you mean.. only 2.5 degrees of adjustment.. ? do mean that you can not adjust more than 2.5 degrees or that each hatchmark on the cam gear is 2.5 degrees of adjustment only? one more thing. you have the AEM 3 bolt designed cam gear, does it slip? becuase they have a new 5 bolt design. cuz the new 5 bolt design is twice the price of the 3 bolt design. and what you are saying its true about installing a 92-95 civic cam gear on my 96 civic ex y8 head, do i have to change the cam too or the cam gears of 92-95 and 96-00 civic cam gears are interchange able and will fit fine?

sorry for all the questions, i just wanna get my car running good.

i appriciate your input. =D
Old 12-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you ONLY have to change the cam gears, 88-00 are interchangeable, however if you buy an ADJUSTABLE gear for a D16Y8, the 0* mark is already 4.5* off, so if you advance it to where it BELONGS, you'd only have a few more degrees to play with incase you boost or need to tune it.

You should be able to pull the origional cam gear off the D15B head and toss it on the D16Y8 head and you would be spot on, Give it a try, just be careful to check TDC.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:08 AM

OHHHHHHHHHHH!!! i see what you mean, i understand now. koo thanks !!

oh yea merry x mas
Old 12-26-2007, 10:28 AM

i'm new to this site and just wanted to say great write-up. i'm also looking into doing this swap as i have everything from a y8 leftover from the b swap i did on my girls car. keep the updates coming.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93dxslpr)

I'm working on the tuning right now with my adj. FPR and adj. cam gear, I'll see what all happens and postup!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dasfinc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dasfinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm working on the tuning right now with my adj. FPR and adj. cam gear, I'll see what all happens and postup!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just figure I'd post up:

working on the cam timing still, car is completely driveable, just not worlds of power because I'm unsure how much my head was milled *Cam timing to far advanced right now*

Anyone know anyway to tell how much your head has been milled with it on your car? I don't want to have to guess and check this
Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, new update:

unless the mill was nearly .040" the cam timing shouldn't matter much, if at all I have discovered.

Here is the way it should be setup, I will be double checking everything tomorrow and seeing if I can get it all running right.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for the car finally up and running correctly!!!!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:39 PM

yo. sorry i havent been on this for a while.. any how, i bough a cam gear for my d15b block and y8 head ( i think =T ) well anyways.. it advance it 5 degrees and a little difference but not much right now i have it at 8 advance and it responds different.. it has alot more top end power for some reason.. bump for me .. im not sure.. how much to advance or retard it.. and

quick question, when u advance , you have to also fix the IGNITION timing right? to 14 degrees i think, thats stock, but my real question is .. if i was half tooth off 4.75 degrees off .. should i still fix the igntion timing to stock ?

stupid d15b block!!! haha

which timing belt should i use , im not sure which one i have on... and if i have the wrong belt what happends to the car or how would i know its the wrong belt, symthems?
Old 01-14-2008, 02:43 PM

hmmm.... maybe my ECU AHA! i should be running p28 maps right.. i have the d16y8 ecu..

maybe that why is running funny? hmm maybe it has to do that i have 1.5 liter.. that i have no torque.. but very good torque at 5500 when vtec activates. haha dunno
Old 01-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so what did you do?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by l2ichard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo. sorry i havent been on this for a while.. any how, i bough a cam gear for my d15b block and y8 head ( i think =T ) well anyways.. it advance it 5 degrees and a little difference but not much right now i have it at 8 advance and it responds different.. it has alot more top end power for some reason.. bump for me .. im not sure.. how much to advance or retard it.. and

quick question, when u advance , you have to also fix the IGNITION timing right? to 14 degrees i think, thats stock, but my real question is .. if i was half tooth off 4.75 degrees off .. should i still fix the igntion timing to stock ?

stupid d15b block!!! haha

which timing belt should i use , im not sure which one i have on... and if i have the wrong belt what happends to the car or how would i know its the wrong belt, symthems? </TD></TR></TABLE>

16*-18* TDC is what you need for ignition timing, You need a timing light, if you are using an aftermarket crank pulley, you will need an advanced timing light.

I'm uzing a Z6 belt without any problems, for a D15B block, I'm unsure what you'd use to be honest, but a loose belt would be audiable/visual shouldn't be linked to powerloss unless its REALLY loose to where its hopping teeth.

Also, what brand Cam gear are you using, and what car did you purchase it for, the 1992-1995 gears are diffrent from the 96-00 gears. If you bought a Z6 adjustable gear, it would correct the 'half tooth error' just by setting it to 0*, if you bought a Y8 adjustable gear you need to advance it 4.75*.

Mine is still bogging a slight bit down low and moves like a raped ape uptop, so I suspect we are atleast on the same, or similar pages.

The D16Y8 ECU SHOULD work, fuel map is the same and correct for the head, only diffrence is the motor is running a higher compression *I recommend using 89 or 91 oct. just incase* a P28 would be incorrect as thats for the Z6 head, which is not what is on your car.

I'll get back to you with more info later.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, if you are way retarded, you will have far more power in Vtec but nothign down low, try advancing it to full 10* and see if it runs better (But give your motor a FULL SLOW ROTATION before you start it to check valve clearences.

Make sure your cam and crank are both at TDC with the belt on *Just spin the cam to TDC and make sure the crank is in the right spot.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:47 PM

well i got a the 5 bolt design aem cam gear for the 96-00 civic. i just had a little trouble getting the tension on the timing belt, so that is why i ask if it matters what type of belt to use. i read somewhere that the z6 belt and y8 belt has the same number of teeth; therefore, assuming that it would be the same. i believe it has 104 teeth.

well i had this car over a year and i bought the car with this frankainstein engine. so im not even sure if it is the EX head y8 head. though it has the p2j stapped on the head. it might be the HX which also has the p2j stapped on the head. so that is why my car might be running a bit weird.

i did run in at about 9 degrees advance, it ran i bit better, and it also it sounded really loud at mid range, like it had alot of exhaust pressure comming out. ahah but iono..

i do have a timing light but i thought that because its a d15b and y8 head, the ignition timing has to be wrong also, but i dont know. and i have the stock pulley.

and about ecu fuel/ air mix maps, there is also the P08 map, which comes from the jdm d15b, which is basically is similar to the vx block of 92-95 and the z6 head of 92-95 ex. and since that we have the closest. 1.5 block with ex head. that is the ecu maps we need for our cars but iono.

all this makes me just want to buy a d16y8 complete engine lol. already factory honda tuned. but low on funds cuz of school and ****.
we will see if we can get running right.

my vtec hits at 5500 rpms which i thougth 96 ex vtec hits at 5200 rpm.. not sure.

lastly, i will play around with the cam and ignition timing. i was also thinking that i might had installed my aem cam gear off by one tooth.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:00 PM

OH, and also, when i did advanced it at 9 degrees on the cam. i could not really retard the ignition timing to get at 16 or 14 degrees because it was pass that. i could not retard it more because there was no more room to move the dizzy. ahha so it was probably at 18 degrees. and when i did have at 9 or 10 degrees i felt bit more power at 3000 -5000 rpm and no power at 5000-5499 rpm then vtec 5500 - 7000 rpm was great power espcially the from the last 6000-7000 had really well power, you can feel the vtec pull really well. i love my top end power on my car but hate the low end power lol..
Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take a picture of your head, the stampings, and your Vtec Solenoid.

If you have an HX head I have NO IDEA what will be needed to fix it, if its an HX and you are running a P2P "EX Vtec" ECU, you will blow that motor up.

Also, if you dont have one already, buy a Chilton or Haynes manual *$16* to tell you how to check the belt, check for TDC, and tension.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 PM

lol ok. i'll try to take a pic as soon as i can.. thanks dude
Old 01-28-2008, 06:14 PM

well i havent had time to take the pictures. but the head code is p2j-7 and stamped 96 on the right of the head.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 AM

hey, um i did find out that the whole motor is a 3 stage d15b vtec but with d16y8 parts - intake manifold, headers, dizzy, spark plug wires, etec. - the only thing is, that it has one vtec selenoid, which the 3stage d15b has 2, so only the top end vtec activates; therefore, the lower vtec does not activite, which in fact it is running 3 valve mode until vtec at 5,500.

furthermore, i bought a y8 head, which i am planning to install soon.

i had one question, which TIMING BELT should i use for the d15b block and y8 head?

Quick Reply: MASSIVE D16Y8 Head Onto D15B7/8 Block MiniMe Swap Writeup!!!