Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual gsr swap into auto eg sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual gsr swap into auto eg sedan

So here is the breakdown..... I bought an eg sedan after a dear smashed my eg hatch. sedan is 93 hatch is 95. The sedan is an automatic. The Hatch is a manual. Now, I came across a sweet deal on a low mileage 95 GSR. I want to put the B18C1 in the sedan. Do I need to pull the pedals, clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, and anything else from the Hatch or will those items work from the GSR. Also I've read conflicting answers to the question of the auto to manual conversion mount working...... since they dont make one for a D to B series specifically will the regular D series one work or should I pull the Mount bracket from the hatch and weld on to the sedan? Thank you for your time!
Old 06-13-2017, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: manual gsr swap into auto eg sedan

Well I found a couple threads on the forum that were really helpful. I believe I know what I need for everything. The only thing I am lost on is the conversion mount. I read a few threads that state that if its a hydro b series trans then it will work. Guess i'm just going to try it out and if I need to ill weld in the mount bracket.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

You will have to change the right side (transmission) mount bracket on the frame rail. The Automatic bracket is angled up slightly and the manual bracket is nearly horizontal. You can EITHER buy the HASport auto/manual trans conversion mount and bolt it up, OR remove the auto bracket from the sedan frame rail and weld a manual bracket in it's place.

Donor parts... there is no need to hack two cars... take everything from the GSR. Pedals, throttle cable, ECU, shift linkage, axles, mounts, radiator hoses and the engine harness. You can even use the front knuckles and rear trailing arms to do a bigger (and rear disc) brake package. The only thing you will need from the Civic H/B will be the center console for your shift boot.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. That helps a lot. I am planning on doing the rear disc conversion and front and back seats. I'm in the process of researching the disc swap now. The Hatch is pretty well hacked lol. Lean on the title and its just not worth it to me anymore. Pulled the d16z6 and tranny because they are in great shape. Also figured I'd pull the auto to manual swap parts from it just in case someone needs it some time. All of the wiring is pulled. If I can't get a salvage yard to haul off the shell today using only the registration I guess i'm going to chop it up and scrap it. Don't want it in my yard lol. I know I'm new and can't post things for sale and such but if anyone needs anything they can pm me. It has all good glass. Decent Interior. The GSR was hit head on but only clipped in the front drivers side corner.

With that being said, would it be easier for me to pull all of the wiring from the ecu to engine from the gsr and swap it out in the sedan or just run the wires for vtec and such with the original eg harness? I guess what I need to know is if I would have to re-pin dash cluster and lights and such. Anyways, as soon as i'm allowed I'll post a some pics and such in one of the forums.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:12 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

for the ECU wiring, you don't need to swap any harness. Just run some wires for the VTEC components from the ECU to the shock tower plugs. If you are using the GSR engine harness, it will PLUG into the Civic harness without any mods. This is the easiest method without doing too much
Old 06-14-2017, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks a million.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just thought I'd update. After waiting on trivial things like aftermarket radiator and going through 15 new lower del sol radiator hoses through 3 different parts stores (none of them could understand that the del sol with a b16 is not the same as a del sol with a d16.....) I finally got her running. Swapped full suspension over, front seats, wheels (which are 17s and although they look good on her she rides rough), and she goes pretty good. pretty sure I have a slight head gasket leak which i'm going to take care of soon. she doesnt over heat and doesnt smoke. I just smell antifreeze from time to time. Idk if I'm allowed to post pics yet but I was gonna get on meet and greet and post a few pics of her. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:26 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

Glad you got it going. If you're doing the engine again, replace all the gaskets, water pump, seals, belts, etc while you got it opened up.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.ebay.com/i/201087104264?chn=ps&dispItem=1

this is what you need as for wiring take the shifter apart and leave the sliding switch in park hide that under the plastcs