Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man, i'm just full of questions today-- Just found a Local guy with a HONDA JUNKYARD

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Man, i'm just full of questions today-- Just found a Local guy with a HONDA JUNKYARD

turns out he has like 150 honda's and acura's out back.. i havent been there yet, but i'm going to go check it out soon.. my friend went up there a while ago with one of his friends to get some parts or something.. the guy who owns the place wants 1000 bucks for a 2.0l w/tranny.. he says its out of a Del Sol.. i was reading another post on here that says its only like 145 hp and has no Vtech? is that true?? is the swap as easy as a B16? or does it require extensive harness mods like the H22? also.. is a B20 even worth it? if it only has 150hp and no Vtech? or should i stick with the B16 or B18? (turbo eventually) also.. i am looking to replace all of my suspension stuff and would like to get Disks in the rear, i think i remember u guys telling me i need to get the whole setup off of an Integra and it'll bolt right on? what year Integra's would work? (BTW i have a 92 Civic 4-door DX, 1.5, manual)

Also.. i was reading about a flywheel and clutch setup on here that was around $600.. would i need to go with such an high end setup? or would a lesser unit serve as well as long as i'm not putting out 500hp?

Thanks
Zach
Old 03-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Man, i'm just full of questions today-- Just found a Local guy with a HONDA JUNKYARD (Musclecar

before you get flamed.....notice that it's VTEC, no 'H'.

I'm not going to flame you...but you might want to fix everywhere you put 'vtech'.

94+ integra rear trailing arms for your brake question.

I'd personally stick to a b16a, b18b, or b18c1 for your engine questions.

Whatever you do, you will possibly have to do minor wiring...but if you stick to a B series, it won't be as extensive as if you did an h22.

Clutch/flywheel....$300 of that is usually just for a lightweight flywheel...you don't have to go that route. Many people don't.

Unless the engine is modded, a basic clutch upgrade should suffice...and it wouldn't be anywhere near $600.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Man, i'm just full of questions today-- Just found a Local guy with a HONDA JUNKYARD (Musclecar

umm there is no 2.0 in a del sol unless it was put in as aftermarket.

only in CRV's

if its aftermarket, GRAB IT. engine and tranny for 1000$ in smoking.

ill buy it if you dont.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the Info.. so anything 94 and up should work? and do i need just the trailing arms?? nothing else? reason i'm asking, is my Wheel bearing is shot.. and i need new pads, so i think i'm just going to re-do the whole works..

Oh, and sorry about the Vtech VTEC Typo.. TEC looks cooler then TECH anywaz

so should a stay away from the B20 then? i'm guessing if he can get me that engine, he can get me others.. i've ruled out a H22 swap because of the Expense thing..

also.. woule the lighter flywheel make that big of a difference?? is it worth the 300 bucks?? also.. if i'm planning to put a turbo on the car eventually, wouldn't it be smart to go with the better unit so i don't have to pull everything out because my clutch came apart?

Also.. since these arent JDM motors.. and probably have 100k miles on them.. i should throw a rebuild in it shouldn't i?? and if i do.. should i go with lower compression so i can crank up the boost? i don't really car if its a Pooch with no turbo, as long as when i add one... its that much better..
Old 03-24-2003, 02:10 PM

i saw a guy with a totaly stock crx wt ha fully built b20 run 12's, i was scared lol im pretty sure thats wha the guy told my friend
Old 03-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the Info.. so anything 94 and up should work? and do i need just the trailing arms?? nothing else? reason i'm asking, is my Wheel bearing is shot.. and i need new pads, so i think i'm just going to re-do the whole works..

Oh, and sorry about the Vtech VTEC Typo.. TEC looks cooler then TECH anywaz

so should a stay away from the B20 then? i'm guessing if he can get me that engine, he can get me others.. i've ruled out a H22 swap because of the Expense thing..

also.. woule the lighter flywheel make that big of a difference?? is it worth the 300 bucks?? also.. if i'm planning to put a turbo on the car eventually, wouldn't it be smart to go with the better unit so i don't have to pull everything out because my clutch came apart?

Also.. since these arent JDM motors.. and probably have 100k miles on them.. i should throw a rebuild in it shouldn't i?? and if i do.. should i go with lower compression so i can crank up the boost? i don't really car if its a Pooch with no turbo, as long as when i add one... its that much better..
your gonna need axles, ecu, shift linkages and a couple motor mounts. everything else can be used from your stock car.

the b20 is a kickass motor but it didnt come in a del sol, so like i said, its eithre aftermarket or he dosent know what he is talking about.

if your gonna boost eventaully, its a good idea (while the engine is out of the car) to do a clutch and flywheel, the flywheel is great for throttle response and does help. you can find new fidanza for 250 or lower if you look hard.

with a b20, (if it is a b20) it shouldnt have 100,000 miles on it, they are only a few years old. but you want to do a leakdown test before you start boosting. if you have a problem with bad leaking its better to rebuild now than later.

if you are going to do aftermarket internals, it all depends on what your final goals are, the b20 is good to about 8psi on the track without any problems and its already low compression.

hope that helped

[Modified by Kamin, 3:41 PM 3/24/2003]
Old 03-24-2003, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

94+ trailing arms for the brakes...don't know exactly what all you need though as I haven't done the swap. Somebody can tell you though
Old 03-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i saw a guy with a totaly stock crx wt ha fully built b20 run 12's, i was scared lol im pretty sure thats wha the guy told my friend
wtf
Old 03-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NOTE there are the older b20a's from 88-91 preludes which should be avoided.. unless they will be dropped into the older 88-91 preludes ... CRV engines are b20b or b20z stamped
Old 03-25-2003, 10:56 AM

Thanks for all the Feedback peeps!

i think my friend just doesn't know what he's talking about.. he just said it was a 2.0L from a DelSol.. and if that engine never came in that car.. then he's wrong.. i'm pretty sure its not aftermarket.. the way he made it sound is that there was more then one.. i'm in Minnesota.. so if anyone wants to drive here for parts once i check this place out..

Also.. i can generally tell what engine i'm looking at.. but where would the engine be labled as to what it is (where would it be stamped) and do you guys have any links to a site that has all the Stamped codes and manufacture dates? on my Mustang heads it was jibberish and you had to look it up.. are the codes like that? or are they like B18c-97 or something that you don't need a list of codes to reference with?

like i said before.. he has like 150 different cars there.. so i'm going to see if i can find a B18 out of a GSR or something.. is 8psi all she can take?? can other honda engines take more?? the greddy kit i've been looking at comes with an intercooler.. my shelby Charger (2.2l Sohc) is running between 20-30.. and it hasn't came apart yet.. i'm not exactly sure what all has been done to the bottom end.. i've been told they can take around 20 with not to many mods.. of course this is just what people tell me.. so it may be wrong..

what type of ECU do i need? and when i get the turbo, am i going to need a different one?

also.. is it possible to run Nitrous AND Boost? nitrous would only be used on the strip.. or when some muscle head in a chevelle next to me thinks my import is slow... but either way.. it wouldn't be anything crazy.. prob a 50-75 shot.. and if i am going to run N20 should i just upgrade the fuel system while i have the engine out?? and how would a upgraded fuel system (pump and regulatior?) help me otherwise?

Looks like i'm full of questions today too!

Thanks
Zach

Also.. where do i get axles?

[Modified by MusclecarGuyhasHonda, 12:09 PM 3/25/2003]
Old 03-25-2003, 11:04 AM

The stamp for the engine is in the very front of the block, look down in the front of the engine bay right middle of the block where the tranny housing meets in the block, somewhere in that area.

Stock blocks can take more than 8PSI, BUT you'll want to get really good fuel management and tuning. Say like Hondata or AEM EMS, and you'll want it tuned well, really really well. Anything above 8 or 9 PSI without any tuning is asking for trouble IMO.

If you are going to run N20 I would run a small 35 wet shot. An upgraded fuel pump and injectors would help you from going lean, but again your going to want to look into Hondata or AEM EMS, and unless you are going to build your motor, I wouldn't put anymore than 14 or 15PSI on the block for races only, just to be safe, run like 7 or 8 PSI while running around on the streets and when you go to the races pump up the boost on a boost controller.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:15 AM

where is a good place to get some info on the Hondada? as well as a price and stuff... since i live in Minnesota (Duluth) i there arent any import shops around (there is one.. but i think they only do body kits) so to have it tuned right, i'm probably going to have to drive it to Minneapolis (like 150 miles south)

what exactly do they adjust when they tune it? i'm not going to attempt it myself.. i just wanna know what they do... do they do it by ear? or do they use some equipment?

when you say "build your motor" you mean like better pistons and connecting rods don't you? what else would i have to do?

Thanks
Zach
Old 03-25-2003, 11:46 AM

They tune the air fuel ratio using your EGTs and also a wideband O2 on the dyno, amongst other stuff they tune for when they tune the car.

When I say build the motor, I mean better pistons, rods, and sleeving it. Which usually means buying a spare block and sending it out to Golden Eagle for sleeving, they are one of the best I know of. You'll also want to pick up a set of cam gears. Search the archives for words like boost, building motors, etc and you should find a lot of stuff to help you out. It may take a while to find a good post, but when you do save the link, that's what I do.

Check out these links. http://www.aempower.com/ems.htm

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=412365

http://www.hondata.com/

[Modified by AresB16A2Turbo, 12:46 PM 3/25/2003]

[Modified by AresB16A2Turbo, 12:47 PM 3/25/2003]
Old 03-25-2003, 08:41 PM

Hey man--- in Duluth eh ?? So where is this salvage yaard at ???

You should shoot me an e mail sometime.. I can probably help you with about 99% of your questions and problems.. I live in Fargo and all my fam lives in the cities.. I can hook you up with info and parts..

importracernd@hotmail.com Jeff