Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsvtec oil catch can???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lsvtec oil catch can???

iam running a built lsvtec:
b16 head with 3 angle valve job and resurface,
ls block with cp9:1, eagle rods, arp bolts, bguard.
p28 chrome allmotor tune.

iam aiming to go on boost with this setup to reach near 400.

i noticed my head leaks a little oil where it meets the block at the far left front corner which most say its a normal honda thing as long as it dosent pour like crazy which it dosent, however i noticed that my carbon fiber hood had oil splattered on it when i poped the hood and a friend said its normal for an lsv at high rev ( iam rev to 9k). he suggested i get an oil catch can to resolve the issue???? PLEASE GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK. I HEARD YOU CAN MAKE ONE...ANYONE???
Old 04-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: lsvtec oil catch can???

You need some provision for positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) otherwise blow-by pressure and gases build up and you burn oil, smoke a bit, and get some weeping past the oil seals due to internal pressure. There are two plugs on the back of a B20 block, I believe the LS is the same. Remove them and replace with threaded barbs. I believe there is a Prelude part that works perfectly. Merge those hoses into the bottom of a catch can and then a hose from the top of the catch can through the pcv valve and into the intake manifold. If you don't care about emissions and worry about oil fouling your plugs, then put a little breather filter on the top of your catch tank rather than a line to the pcv/intake manifold. The one I did is mounted with a gravity return to the block. It is mounted on the passenger side shock tower. That makes it a zero maintenance item. If you mount it low, it will fill up with oil and need to be drained periodically. Also using a plastic scrunchy dish scrubber as a baffle. The catch can I got is a three piece cast aluminum rectangular item. CHEAP on ebay. Maybe $20. It has two low entry points. I put a piece of tubing on the inside on one of the two threaded barbs to act as a snorkel to pull to the intake manifold without sucking excess oil.