Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS/Vtec v.s GSR

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/Vtec v.s GSR

HEy guys im thinking about doing and all motor build up im either going with a gsr or and ls/vetc in my 93ex currently running a D16z6...iwas just wondering which one whould in vole more work and money...then theres also the option of turboing the d16 but i kinda wanna go for the sleeper look so a turbo dosent really fit that for me thanks guys
Old 03-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/Vtec v.s GSR (2DoorBandit)

gsr all the way with the problems and such with a lsvtec the cost will be more in the end than initailly. Gsr=high reving reliability lsvtec=problems
Old 03-12-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: LS/Vtec v.s GSR (zacatkings)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zacatkings &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gsr all the way with the problems and such with a lsvtec the cost will be more in the end than initailly. Gsr=high reving reliability lsvtec=problems </TD></TR></TABLE>

nah dude. you crazy. ls vtec will own a gsr. lsvtecs are crazy. or you can always b20vtec. or h22.

im in the same situation as you was thinkin bout turbo or nos the d but expletive it. gonna b16 or lsvtec. probly built b16 cuz its cheap and reliabily
Old 03-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/Vtec v.s GSR (ZipTieGuy)

how long you think lsvtecs last? research they dont
Old 03-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/Vtec v.s GSR (ZipTieGuy)

I have had both and I will say my lsvtec was faster I was running an a1 block with ctr pistons and a gsr head with ITR cams. That motor was damn fast. If you are going to build a motor I would just go with a gsr do to the fact you dont have to deal with the machine work to get a girdle in the ls block.. Just my two cents
Old 03-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/Vtec v.s GSR (TheThiefTheKnife'NTheGun)

see washington knows what we are talking about haha
Old 03-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/Vtec v.s GSR (zacatkings)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zacatkings &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how long you think lsvtecs last? research they dont </TD></TR></TABLE>

wit my LSvtec ...i hang wit evos all way up to 5th gear..when rollin..down shift to 3rd..i pull about a car ahead..then evo8 starts to pull at the end of 4th ..
Old 03-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If an LS/VTEC is built right it is one hell of a motor. Mine has almost 30k on the build and I've had absolutely ZERO problems. I am using a B1 block and a B16 head. The B16 head flows much better than the B18C1 head (GSR) so it makes more horse, and has better potential. If you do the machinework, use all steel braided lines, and tap and dye everything properly LS/VTEC's are just as good as any other motor. Most of the LS/VTEC's on here are ghetto fabb'd POS. Of course they don't last. If you let a professional build it, or know what you are doing, LS/VTEC's own GSR motors. I was sick of my B16 and this solution was much more economical than a GSR swap, or an entire change over. I had mine built at a very reputable shop (Torque Freak's in Portland) and it will last just as well as any other B-Series motor. It all depends on what you want. Remember though, it's totally up to you. I've given you my two cents, but the choice is up to you. Don't listen to the haters, the frank motors can hold up if they are built up right.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:47 PM

i hang with sti's an some evos in my gsr hatch...my friend has a lsvtec in his hatch his feels alot faster but mine is faster lsvtec just have more tq tahts why if felt faster than mine
Old 03-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (throttlerocket)

I response to this. I will say that a b16 head will flow slightly better but a gsr head has smaller combustion chamber yeilding higher compression which results in more power. Again as I said both are good motors the lsvtec must be put together with care to get it to last though.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:46 AM

Default Re: (GsR92HaTcH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GsR92HaTcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hang with sti's an some evos in my gsr hatch...my friend has a lsvtec in his hatch his feels alot faster but mine is faster lsvtec just have more tq tahts why if felt faster than mine</TD></TR></TABLE>

you run a 14.5 and hang with STIs? Whoever you are driving against is seriously awful.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you looking for reliability????go for the gsr...if you r..but go for the ls/vtec if your not....i have 2 uncles who built there own and sold it bcuz it was too hard to maintain...
Old 03-13-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Re: (throttlerocket)

I own a gsr integra and an lsvtec civic coupe, my integra is nowhere near as fast as my civic, even though the civic is lighter you can tell the difference in the motors, but the thing is with the lsvtec something is always breaking, no problems what so ever with the gsr, with all that said if i were you i would go with the gsr because i think it is more reliable, but if spending money doesnt matter to you go with the lsvtec , but remember its your car. Good Luck
Old 03-13-2006, 11:21 AM

turbo the d motor. Just vent the bov back to the intake and paint the intercooler black or use water injection instead. Then just use 2 mufflers and you will be set!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/Vtec v.s GSR (wildman117)

i dont knwo how you guys are "hangin" with sti's and evos seeing that a sti is 300 at the crank and evo's are around 280 and you guys are like 170-190 at the crank max! My turbo d, about 220Whp, not crank, pulls about 5-7 car lengths all day over gsr's ang ls/vtakk and evo's pull on me. The guys in those car must be the shittiest drivers evAAAAr

I dont knwo what you mean by hanging with a sti, but if 10 car lenghts is hanging with them, then rock on
Old 03-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (2Slow2RaceIt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2Slow2RaceIt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I own a gsr integra and an lsvtec civic coupe, my integra is nowhere near as fast as my civic, even though the civic is lighter you can tell the difference in the motors, but the thing is with the lsvtec something is always breaking, no problems what so ever with the gsr, with all that said if i were you i would go with the gsr because i think it is more reliable, but if spending money doesnt matter to you go with the lsvtec , but remember its your car. Good Luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

What is always breaking on your LS/Vtec? if its things like alternator, starter etc. you can hardly blame that on the LS/Vtec. Let us know when you spin bearrings, melt pistons, throw rods.

I will have to say up here in the NW there are LOTS of LS/Vtecs running around and most of my friends cars are reliable.....quite a few running boost.

Just build it right and dont be trying to pull 9K RPM crap and you will be fine
Old 03-13-2006, 01:46 PM

Default Re: (ECKO1980)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ECKO1980 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just build it right and dont be trying to pull 9K RPM crap and you will be fine</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the key right there. I've built LS/VTEC motors that have seen 50,000 miles with no damage. It's those retards who think that just because they put a VTEC head on their LS that they can now rev the **** out of it that make people think that they are unreliable.

Do your research, build carefully, and recognize that the bottom end is still stock LS and those motors will be just as reliable as any other Honda motor.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/Vtec v.s GSR (tuck'd98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuck’d98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont knwo how you guys are "hangin" with sti's and evos seeing that a sti is 300 at the crank and evo's are around 280 and you guys are like 170-190 at the crank max! My turbo d, about 220Whp, not crank, pulls about 5-7 car lengths all day over gsr's ang ls/vtakk and evo's pull on me. The guys in those car must be the shittiest drivers evAAAAr

I dont knwo what you mean by hanging with a sti, but if 10 car lenghts is hanging with them, then rock on</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA! LMAO!, they're the same ones who revv up on me from the opposite side of the street as i pass by.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2DoorBandit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HEy guys im thinking about doing and all motor build up im either going with a gsr or and ls/vetc in my 93ex currently running a D16z6...iwas just wondering which one whould in vole more work and money...then theres also the option of turboing the d16 but i kinda wanna go for the sleeper look so a turbo dosent really fit that for me thanks guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

So turbos can't be sleeper?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/Vtec v.s GSR (Sh!ttyLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sh!ttyLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So turbos can't be sleeper? </TD></TR></TABLE>

in my opinion not really when people see an intercoller and hear a blowoff valve they know you got something goin on for you thats just my opinion
Old 03-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also this will most likely be my dail driver so i dont want something with too crazy of a horse power number maybe along the line of 220whp
Old 03-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also i hear people puttin gsr heads on and ls wont that just make it the same thing as a gsr
Old 03-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2DoorBandit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also i hear people puttin gsr heads on and ls wont that just make it the same thing as a gsr </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a big negatory

You need to search and reasearch this more
Old 03-13-2006, 04:15 PM

an LS/VTEC is a crazy fast motor if u build them and ppl say they aint worth the problums but if u do it right hten u will have just as much **** that u would have with anyother motor. i mean **** any motor that is built and thrown together fast with no tunning of corse ur gonna have problums **** just go LS/VTEC take ur time and tune it right dont rush and ur be fine.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2DoorBandit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in my opinion not really when people see an intercoller and hear a blowoff valve they know you got something goin on for you thats just my opinion</TD></TR></TABLE>

True but if your car is a very subtle color (doesnt have to do with the turbo thing, just the sleeper look in general) , and your intercooler is painted black, probably no one will even notice that your car is boosted until the race begins, then you can pwn them with turbo powaaa

Quick Reply: LS/Vtec v.s GSR