Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS/VTEC questions, pics, etc.........need insight

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/VTEC questions, pics, etc.........need insight

if i were to do an LS_vtec 1994 integra, how complicated would it be.. I want to use the LS bottom end thats already in that integra, then run either a gsr or type R head,, whichever runs the best and makes the most usuable power....here are some of my questions, hopefully you guys can point me to a thread that has the answers or you can supply answers.....
1-How complicated is this to do, i am pretty good mechanically, but what is envolvd?
2-Which head is the best to use, which flows best,,etc...
3-I have heard that the LS-vtec engines are hard to keep running correcty and hard to tune....this will be my daily driver,,,, how long will it run for, with basic maintenence.
4-is the LS bottom end ok to leave stock,, as the engine will be revved higher with a typeR or gsr head,,, will the bottom end stand up,, if not what is necessary to do.
5-Any dyno #'s on your exact setups.
6-Anything else you guys can share w/ me is greatly appreciated,,as i plan to do this myself w/ some help in a couple weeks.
thank you honda-tech
=s.lalond
Old 02-18-2003, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LS/VTEC questions, pics, etc.........need insight (steveo97civic)

Just search up on LS/VTEC, you'll get plenty of information on it.

I'd use a B16 head, just cause it's cheaper and easier to find than a GSR head. If you have money, get a Type R head. Heck if you have money, just get a B16 head and get Skunk2 Stage II cams, valve springs and retainers, port and polish, ported throttle body etc etc all that good stuff.

For the bottom end, it wont hold out long, so I'd reccommend getting it resleeved to 84mm(2.0) unless you want to keep your 1.8 bore(dont know why you would want to do this), with some APR head bolts and balanced bottom end.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:37 AM

Default Re: LS/VTEC questions, pics, etc.........need insight (lazy bum shaughn)

just do it rite,,, here is the most important rule with ls vtec DO NOT CUTE CORNERS ever!
Old 02-19-2003, 03:48 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC questions, pics, etc.........need insight (wm5holla)

B16 or Type R head, ITR or CTR pistons (I will be running CTR overbore with stock ls rods), ARP rod bolts and head studs, upgraded valve springs( Type R or Portflow), all new bearings if you are going to pull the motor and dissassemble it, upgrade to a vtec oil pump. You don't need to sleeve it unless you want to. If you go B16 head you can alway run a Type R intake manifold also. Just do it right it should be reliable.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC questions, pics, etc.........need insight (civichopeful)

wm5holla said it best... DO NOT CUT CORNERS... EVER! ;-)

Me have LS/VTEC here's my shizz.

B18a block, b16a head,
JE pistons, Eagle rods (eagle uses ARP bolts),
ITR valvesprings/retainers,
Block guard,
CTR intake manifold,
310cc injectors (I have 12:1 compression... did it just for "insurance"),
then the easy stuff intake, headers, exhaust, yadda yadda.
I don't rev past 8000 and won't until I get a block girdle, unfortuneately if you've been researching u prolly already know they're over $300.00 but highly recommended across many a Honda forum.

just thought I'd give ya a little example of one. oh yea, and it runs good too. ;-)

Harry