Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS/VTEC !!!!!!!!!!!! QUESTIONS!!!! Check this out....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/VTEC !!!!!!!!!!!! QUESTIONS!!!! Check this out....

Whats good everyone, ok heres my situation.. I am selling my gsr out of my civic to put in the ls/vtec i built. Total cost of the motor was around 10g's and its all done right , no skimping. I was wondering what kind of horepower this thing will be putting out when everything on. I have a Skunk2 proseries intake mani, hondata heatshield, Skunk2 pro series camshafts, Aem fuel pressure regulator, itr header, dh racing throttle body and an aem hybrid cold air. I have heard tons of diff number for quarter mile times and "real" horsepower gains, im just seeing if anybody has anything more accurate. Thanks for all who take the time to read this....later
Old 01-26-2006, 01:40 PM

this is going to get moved or locked but you might want to elaborate on what pistons, rods, crank, and all the internals you have...if you just have all the bolt ons listed above, then your not going to make over 180
Old 01-26-2006, 01:46 PM

Default Re: (x_outlaw_x)

The pistons are Jdm b16 (p30) The head is a fully ported and polished 96 jdm gsr and the bottom end is a 95 jdm ls. What else do you need?
Old 01-26-2006, 02:05 PM

im not seeing how you dumped $10,000 into that honestly, i see maybe 4-4500, not 10k
Old 01-26-2006, 02:08 PM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x_outlaw_x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not seeing how you dumped $10,000 into that honestly, i see maybe 4-4500, not 10k</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably labor

I'd say its at 180whp?
Old 01-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmbseries20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have heard tons of diff number for quarter mile times and "real" horsepower gains</TD></TR></TABLE>

Take it to a dyno.
Take it to a track.

Voila! No guessing needed
Old 01-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwieczorek43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Take it to a dyno.
Take it to a track.

Voila! No guessing needed </TD></TR></TABLE>

He's a madman, I tell you!! A madman!!!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 PM

Out of every

Default Re: LS/VTEC !!!!!!!!!!!! QUESTIONS!!!! Check this out.... (jdmbseries20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmbseries20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Total cost of the motor was around 10g's and its all done right , no skimping. I have a Skunk2 proseries intake mani, hondata heatshield, Skunk2 pro series camshafts, Aem fuel pressure regulator, itr header, dh racing throttle body and an aem hybrid cold air.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow.. i dont know about paying that much? i would have just gone special k. and still have 3 thou to put in it. i really dont know about that? i mean even with labor i still dont think it would be that much. just for what he listed. i think he overpayed... by alot. imo so dont get all jerkish if you disagree. everything he listed is a diy except maybe the camshafts.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:33 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC !!!!!!!!!!!! QUESTIONS!!!! Check this out.... (e gee two)

ok let me clear this up, i bought the head and bottom end then sent them to a machine shop. The entire motor was rebuilt from the ground up, new pistons , crank, cams, camshafts all the internals are brand new. The bolts alone cost a few hundred from ARP. The motor was hot tanked ported , polished etc etc. My roomate and i got the motor back from the machine shop and bolted everything together. Once it was all said and done with parts everything from pistons to an intake the motor sitting on a crate in my garage ready to be dropped cost what i said it did. Now that thats cleared up can anybody help me with my questions that ive been asking rather then tell me things i already know like " DYNO and TRACK" clearly i will take this thing to the track once its in but FOR NOW I WANT TO KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT HP WISE AND TIME. I know this thing is gonna rip cuz my buddy had an lsvtec when i had my jdm b16 in a coupe and i passed him while he was stopped doin about 115 and he caught up to me and passed me like i was standing still in no time.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

180 to 190
Old 01-26-2006, 11:12 PM

Default Re: (hbracer93)

you shoulda put jun3's and ctr pistons in it

your setup will make 180 or so like everyone is saying.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:32 PM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: (timesnap)

why sit here and get all pissy about people saying take it to a track and a dyno? If you spent that kind of money you should be able to get it tuned and time at a track. Your motor could do around high 13s with a good driver and, from the sounds of you, around 16s with you behind the wheel. Damn you ricers out in PA.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC !!!!!!!!!!!! QUESTIONS!!!! Check this out.... (jdmbseries20)

sell the motor and try to recover some of the money that u spent
ls/vtec even built right are some what unreliable
Old 01-26-2006, 11:40 PM

Default Re: (sicky)

a kid around me spent over 10k on his fresh build as well...i dono why people do this... could of had a 500 whp turbo car or a fresh K...but instead he has a slower car the before and nothing to show for his 10k...oh well new story ....i think your car will make around 180ish like everyone said...but a better header and maybe an ITR TB instead of the DH one..isn't the DH one a 70mm...thats overkill for your set-up i think..but with proper tuning may yeild more...your looking defianately into the 13's providing the right chassis...hatch will obviously be faster then a coupe...good luck...with your build and the flaming on this site..
Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 AM

thanks for the love from the west coast........DICK ....... anyway it shows how much of an idiot you are when you can assume my driving ablity by reading a post on the internet . Anyway to help everyone out the motor my roomate built last year us identical to this one and he ran 204 hp to the wheels with a few diff boltons then me but all the same internals.....never ran it at the track though ....so my estimations have been around 200 and the motor will be plenty reliable , everyone knows if its built right you can beat the **** out of it as a daily driver and you be fine , besides its a honda.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmbseries20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dasistheone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ls/vtec even built right are some what unreliable </TD></TR></TABLE>

Here we go again w/ the reliability debate...
If they are properly built they are very reliable. My buddy has been beating the **** out of his for 3-4 years now w/ no real issues. Build it right, and don't over-rev. There are also plenty of other examples of lsvtec reliability.

Usually, if you give us a HP number we can aproximate your 1/4. Or vise-versa, tell us what it runs/mph and we can tell you rough power output. But give us neither... and it's simply guess work. If the setup is alot like your buddies... go w/ those numbers untill you can get it properly tuned.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:09 AM

the lsvtec is reliable when you do it right, there are so many people that halfass it and then blow it up and come on here saying how much it sucks when they didnt build it right...if its done right its reliable
Old 01-27-2006, 09:18 AM

thank you!!! finally i keep feeling that this site isnt all its cracked up to be with certain responses. I def agree with the reliability. Ive seen a half dozen kids skimp and blow the motor up in 2 days. I assure you this is not the case here. The entire thing was done properly and that will insure reliability.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say around 180 and low 13's? to high 12's maybe?
Old 01-27-2006, 02:59 PM
grammer nawzi

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmbseries20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the love from the west coast........DICK ....... anyway it shows how much of an idiot you are when you can assume my driving ablity by reading a post on the internet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used to help manage JE Import Performance in Parkton, MD. We would always get some wannabes from PA come down. And any time I was in PA I would get bombarded with ricers. I was speaking from experience, not out of my ***, like some people.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:26 PM

Honestly i dont care if you owned the race divison of skunk2. I got to school in pa i live in jersey and i dont know where you were or who you met but everyone around me has some nice stuff everything from a 430whp sr20det in a 98 240sx to h22 hatchbacks. So take your **** talking elsewhere. NO APC TAILLIGHTS OR RACTIVE EXHAUST HERE and this lsvtec will be my 9th honda ive built . So thanks again but your opinion means absolutely nothing.........stay in cali the east coast doesnt want you.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmbseries20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honestly i dont care if you owned the race divison of skunk2. I got to school in pa i live in jersey and i dont know where you were or who you met but everyone around me has some nice stuff everything from a 430whp sr20det in a 98 240sx to h22 hatchbacks. So take your **** talking elsewhere. NO APC TAILLIGHTS OR RACTIVE EXHAUST HERE and this lsvtec will be my 9th honda ive built . So thanks again but your opinion means absolutely nothing.........stay in cali the east coast doesnt want you. </TD></TR></TABLE> x2 on that ****
Old 01-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaCivicSiR1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmbseries20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok let me clear this up, i bought the head and bottom end then sent them to a machine shop. The entire motor was rebuilt from the ground up, new pistons , crank, cams, <U>camshafts</U> all the internals are brand new. The bolts alone cost a few hundred from ARP. The motor was hot tanked ported , polished etc etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>
so the motor was p/p huh? i bet there was alot of deburring and polishing going on in the cylinders to let the pistons travel faster to keep up with the 4 cams your running... sorry bro but i had to do it.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:02 AM
I NIKES

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anyway i can see some reciepts,i'm not seeing 10 grand there.i'm doing the same thing with forged internals and only have maybe 5-6 in it.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:10 AM

Default Re: (ghg78)

http://www.importreview.com/reviews/lsvtec.html

here.....now everyone leave me alone about the damn price tag on this motor ok.....and for the last time none of you are my financial advisors so you can alllll stop worrying about $$$$ and just help me with answers OK! thanks

check that link out and that explains its pretty much and thats without any machine shop.............................................. ....................

Quick Reply: LS/VTEC !!!!!!!!!!!! QUESTIONS!!!! Check this out....