Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls-vtec headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: ls-vtec headgasket?

i have built 2 lsv's both ran b16 heads- one was a gsr and the other was ls gasket.

i took a flapper wheel and "kissed" the rivets off the ls gasket, i also used some copper spray gasket, i had to massage the opening for the dowls a tiny bit, but i never had a leak, many hard miles- sold the engine

second motor i built for a friend i told him to get ls head gasket and he didnt... used the copper spray gasket as always... he has a f*in leak now and its getting worse...

i suggest using a ls gasket, it has worked for me.

I also built a stock bottom end b20v with a b16 head and used the b20 headgasket with copper again, no leaks... sold it too.

maybe the vtec headgasket works for others, but i can tell you it didnt work for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so basically what gasket shoul be use in an ls vtec with b16 head

ls or

b16
thats the answer need it here i believe
Old 12-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to chime in on this one. I am in the process of doing a Ls Vtec and the correct head gasket to use with out modification is a Vtec head gasket foe the head you are using. Doing it the correct way with a Ls Vtec kit the Vtec head gasket is the best choice.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How long have ls-vtec's been around? Do the research you use a non vtec head gasket.This shouldnt be a 2 page thread on what head gasket
Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well sorry but when Hasport, SRD and Honda Tuning all say use the Vtec head gasket for the head you are using then I will trust them. It is the old school method to use the Ls head gasket, before Ls Vtec kits and knowing the GSR water pumps help out a lot for reliability. Both head gaskets will work but depending on the swap method modifying may be needed. With a LS Vtec kit a Vtec HG works the best.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stop the bickering. Just go with the Golden Eagle kit. They use a VTEC gasket. I have around 60k on my motor and still runs strong.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this thread is stupid. clearly both gaskets will work perfectly fine with appropriate mods. and in instances where they dont its probably not because you used the wrong head gasket as there are many other reason for an engine to leak oil...
Old 03-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Both a LS and a VTEC head gasket will work. On a LS head gasket, you have to remove those 2 rivots on the intake side because when the head is torqued down, it slightly sits down on it and not sealing correctly. With a VTEC head gasket, you have drill the 2 holes on the intake side to make them bigger to use the dowel pins because original placement of the dowel pins on a vtec block is on the exhaust side whereas the dowel pins are located on the intake side on a LS block.
From personal experience, I've used both a LS and a VTEC head gasket with no problems.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dopematic
Both a LS and a VTEC head gasket will work. On a LS head gasket, you have to remove those 2 rivots on the intake side because when the head is torqued down, it slightly sits down on it and not sealing correctly. With a VTEC head gasket, you have drill the 2 holes on the intake side to make them bigger to use the dowel pins because original placement of the dowel pins on a vtec block is on the exhaust side whereas the dowel pins are located on the intake side on a LS block.
From personal experience, I've used both a LS and a VTEC head gasket with no problems.
if anyone here has half a brain they will check the head gaskets on both surfaces....

most of you are idiots dont hate cuz yall know im right...

take a vtec head and put a ls gasket on it, it will fit with the 2 rivets removed, and seal pretty well.
If u take a vtec gasket and match it to the block u will see that the front oil drain back has like 1/64 of an inch that the gaskets actually seals on... which will LEAK!!!!! Unless you have checked BOTH dont post that one way works and the other does not!!!
I have done both and the the vtec gasket will leak more than the ls gasket... ya they will both leak eventually too!!!!! never seen one that does not leak.

thats all i got about that.
your dumb if you say different with trying it
Old 03-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93h2beg
if anyone here has half a brain they will check the head gaskets on both surfaces....

take a vtec head and put a ls gasket on it, it will fit with the 2 rivets removed, and seal pretty well.
If u take a vtec gasket and match it to the block u will see that the front oil drain back has like 1/64 of an inch that the gaskets actually seals on... which will LEAK!!!!! Unless you have checked BOTH dont post that one way works and the other does not!!!
I have done both and the the vtec gasket will leak more than the ls gasket... ya they will both leak eventually too!!!!! never seen one that does not leak.

You're the idiot that can't put together a simple LSVTEC engine w/out any leaks.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93h2beg

I don't know if I should take your post as a shot at me or not but I'm just gonna leave at that.

Regardless of what head gasket you use, partial oil gallies are going to be blocked off. With a LS head gasket, some oil return holes will be blocked off from the head and with a VTEC head gasket, some of the oil return holes will be blocked off on the block. But as I stated earlier, both head gaskets will work with minor modifications and again from personal experience, I had NO PROBLEMS using either head gasket.

Last edited by dopematic; 03-18-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dopematic
I don't know if I should take your post as a shot at me or not but I'm just gonna leave at that.

Regardless of what head gasket you use, partial oil gallies are going to be blocked off. With a LS head gasket, some oil return holes will be blocked off from the head and with a VTEC head gasket, some of the oil return holes will be blocked off on the block. But as I stated earlier, both head gaskets will work with minor modifications and again from personal experience, I had NO PROBLEMS using either head gasket.
Not a shot at any one person... just me ranting LOL...
Old 02-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Trial User

i was also wondering which head gasket to use. i am in the middle of an ls vtec swap myself and am trying to figure out which gasket to use. i have a cometic conversion gasket on it now, which is almost identical to a vtec gasket, but it DEFINITELY doesnt work. it pours oil from between the block and the head under the intake manifold. i was told you can use a b20 head gasket so i may try that next. if anyone knows which one is best to use on a b18 bottom end and a b16 head please let me know, i need my car back.. lol.