Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls integra soon to be type r swapped need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls integra soon to be type r swapped need some advice

I am going to be performing a type r swap on my 99 LS integra and need some advice/ help. I have a very strong mechanical and electrical back ground. I am a former BMW master tech so the swap it's self is no issue my questions are wire harness related. 1) does anyone know what wires will need to be added to the vehicle I will be using the harness that's supplied with the engine. And two) will the type r header bolt up to my existing cat? And are there any other figment issues or any engine/ transmission issues that should be looked at or replaced before its in the car

Thanks a bunch
Old 08-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls integra soon to be type r swapped need some advice

You will have to wire in a vtec wire for sure, I'm not sure if ur R motor has a knock sensor but that would have to be wired too, also the cat fitment will depend on what type of header u have... I have a cdm type r and I believe the cat on cdm/usdm type r's is shorter in length than Jdm type r cats which affect header/cat fitment, also jdm headers have a2.5" colector and usdm r headers are 2.25 like which is what ur ls cat should be. that's all I can think of off the top of my head
Old 08-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by aaron_drifter
I will be using the harness that's supplied with the engine.
Use your original harness from the car getting the engine transplant. That's typically rule of thumb.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
Use your original harness from the car getting the engine transplant. That's typically rule of thumb.
And just wire in the necessary extra plugs? For vtec and what ever else?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

What year is the motor? Is it usdm or jdm or what (mainly a concern because a rhd harness cannot be used in a lhd car)?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, vtec, knock sensor (depending on the ecu you're wanting to use). Should be it... in your situation.

Just off the top of my head, you need to know the following:
The OBD version of the engine(ex. OBD2A, OBD2B)
What ecu? JDM ecu or USDM? (chipped p28/p06/etc. OBD1, USDM Type R, JDM Type R)

Keep in mind that the car will not pass emissions on a chipped OBD1, or JDM ecu. The USDM ecu will have an immobilizer that would need to be removed.
If you decide to go with the 97-98 USDM Type R ecu or JDM Type R ecu you won't need a jumper harness. Both of the ecu's are OBD2A, same as your 99 LS Integra.

I suggest doing research....
Old 08-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jdm spec 96-98 will more then likely be the engine but might have to get 98+ all depending on what the guy has in stock when i go out to pick it up. and as far as the added wires this would do the trick correct?
http://www.rywire.com/catalog/obd1-o...ness-p-18.html

thanks all for the help it is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you will have to run 3 wires, vtec solenoid wire, vtec oil pressure switch, and knock sensor wire. Use shielded wiring for the knock sensor or your car will get check engine and probably pull timing like mine did. To pin in the wires go cut the ecu harness out of a civic or another integra and pull the ecu pins out from the back of the connector. Then you can just slide them into the back of the connector of your ls harness, there will be open spots on the connector for the pins. If this doesnt make sense just ask ill walk you through it, ive done a few honda swaps including k20 so can probably answer any questions you got.

-max
Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh an IAB is only for gsr so you shouldnt need to worry about that. Don't waste your money on that rywire crap either.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, that will take care of the extra wiring vtec and knock etc. However, if you want to pass emissions you will need a USDM ecu (P73-a02, P73-a03, both being OBD2A and not requiring a jumper harness) The downside to running one of these ecu's is you will need to perform this http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=309 or replace the JDM oil pump with a new USDM OBD2 style oil pump and use the CKF sensor from your old engine. This will allow you to be cel free and pass emissions.

If you do not care for emissions, grab a P28 ecu and have it chipped with one of several available programs/software. This will bypass knock sensor etc, along with the dreaded Crank Fluctuation Sensor which will not be present on your JDM engine but there are provisions for it in your 99 LS wiring harness.

Might want to look into that....and figure out exactly what you are wanting to do.

Last edited by AllMtrRex; 08-19-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, that will take care of the extra wiring vtec and knock etc. However, if you want to pass emissions you will need a USDM ecu (P73-a02, P73-a03, both being OBD2A and not requiring a jumper harness) The downside to running one of these ecu's is you will need to perform this http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=309 or replace the JDM oil pump with a new USDM OBD2 style oil pump and use the CKF sensor from your old engine. This will allow you to be cel free and pass emissions.

If you do not care for emissions, grab a P28 ecu and have it chipped with one of several available programs/software. This will bypass knock sensor etc, along with the dreaded Crank Fluctuation Sensor which will not be present on your JDM engine but there are provisions for it in your 99 LS wiring harness.

Might want to look into that....and figure out exactly what you are wanting to do.
I am not concerned about emissions i live in the sticks in pa and there is no emissions inspection in my county and there isn't anyone who knows anything about honda's. So being that i do not need to worry about emissions i can use the provided ecu that comes with the engine and not have to worry about the lack of the crank fluctuation sensor? and the lack of knock sensor and just add wires for vtec solenoid and pressure switch and enjoy the swap? also do you know if the jdm exhaust manifold will bolt up to my exixting exhaust of should i invest in a new exhaust before i preform this swap? And finally any suggestions for axles? stock LS ones good enough or am i just going to toast them with the added horse and torque?
Old 08-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FWIW, 99 integra LS already has knock. You should only need to add the vtec wiring.

The jdm header has a 2.5" outlet and is significantly better than the us one. You will need to weld the larger flange onto your cat to make it work though.

B-series axles are all the same (26 spline), with the exception of the jdm itr which are 27 spline. Problem is that you will have to swap to the jdm itr or crv spindles (and associated 5 lug) to make them work. Your LS axles will be fine. Look up the ffsquad page referenced above for the way around the ckf sensor.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
FWIW, 99 integra LS already has knock. You should only need to add the vtec wiring.
The sub-harness comes with vtec, knock etc. If he wanted to go the sub-harness route then it would come with knock sensor already, you do not have to use it or Intake Air Bypass.

If you want to save money, manually wire vtec. 1 pin from ecu to solenoid (A8). JDM engines typically have no pressure switch.

Originally Posted by spAdam
Look up the ffsquad page referenced above for the way around the ckf sensor.
This won't be needed if running the JDM ecu that comes with the engine.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The sub-harness comes with vtec, knock etc. If he wanted to go the sub-harness route then it would come with knock sensor already, you do not have to use it or Intake Air Bypass.

If you want to save money, manually wire vtec. 1 pin from ecu to solenoid (A8). JDM engines typically have no pressure switch.

you sir are the man and have answered all my questions and i am assuming the wire sub harness will come with detailed instructions on what wires go where and what wires need removed if any.

again thanks guys i am going to try to pull this off in one day. remove engine and swap in new one in an afternoon i am going to replaced the clutch the timing belt and water pump and plug wires and plugs. all drive belts and have engine and trans reassembled waiting for a three day weekend to do it in case i run out of time. hopefully with enough beer supplied by me some buddys will show up and help. lol again couldnt thank you enough for the advice.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aaron_drifter
you sir are the man and have answered all my questions and i am assuming the wire sub harness will come with detailed instructions on what wires go where and what wires need removed if any.
Rywire is hit and miss with instructions included.
Luckily, instructions for the sub-harness are located on their site here
http://www.rywire.com/catalog/obd1-o...ness-p-18.html
Old 08-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks bud
Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Derp. Good point.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/wiring.obd2a.htm

Here you go this makes things even easier tells you exactly where to wire in to ecu. good luck!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BiGMerK215
http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/wiring.obd2a.htm

Here you go this makes things even easier tells you exactly where to wire in to ecu. good luck!
You sit are awesome.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry sir lol
Old 10-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey check this out i have a 1995 jdm b18c r and im swaping it into my 96 ls . i noticed that my ls wiring harness has a extra sensor plug for the ckf crank shaft speed fluctuation sensor i already know im going to need to use my oil pump cover on my type r engine but will i need to also replace all my other sensors and is the ckf sensor nesecarry to have on my engine will it show check engine light with out it and is my 96 ls engine harness sutiable to use on my b18cr