Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS crank in a GSR block

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS crank in a GSR block

Has anyone had any expierence with this set up.. I have a LS Vtec right now but I have a gsr block in my garage that doesnt have anything but a crank oil pan and all that fun stuff.. Basically I want to know about swaping the crank into the gsr.. I have heard that it will increase your displacement in the gsr. Someone please help me out I need to know what I need to do to make it work or if it is just a dumb Idea. Thanks to all
Old 01-10-2005, 08:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: LS crank in a GSR block (justinwipf)

i think you'll have to use the LS rods as well, probably not worth the trouble for some oil squirters
Old 01-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS crank in a GSR block (Hapexamendios EJ8)

If your have a ls/vtec already your not gonna gain anything power wise really from just swaping to a gsr block. What you will get is maybe some more reliabitly with the oil squirters and the girdle. Any who the ls will fit no problem just use ls rods and bend the oil squirter out of the way.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That was my goal, I want the reliability of the girdle. and the oil squirters are a plus. I went with an all motor high compression lsvtec now I am trying to go low compression turbo. I have a gsr head on my lsvtec and it has been milled slightly is that going to affect clearance or will i just have slightly higher compression
Old 01-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Youll have a lil bit higher compression, if you're running low compression you wont have to worry about clearance
Old 01-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (THEUSED)

the reliability really will not be significantly better. Are you using LS rods in your ls/vtec? Doesn't matter, but you are putting enough stress on that ls block as it is, throwing the ls crank in the gsr block will really just give you a fresh block to begin slowly tearing up.

If I were you I would build that gsr block, swap it with the ls block and run a real vtec motor that will not be screwed within a few years.

Sorry I just hate LS/VTECs, but I respect people who build them, as it takes a lot of guts to waste all that money. They are fun to build though. You should read up on rod-to-stroke ratios, honda rod-to-stroke ratios (among the different b series engines), and how changing them affects our great little blocks. If I'm not mistaken there is a post in the honda engine swap faq at the top of the eg forum where the guy posts up like 20 links. One is ls/vtec swap, there is some good pros/cons of the swap.

gl
Old 01-12-2005, 11:57 AM

If you put the ls crank in your gsr block you will have to go with the ls rods but also if you sleeve it and go with a 84mm bore you'll end up with a 2.0. So to answer your question yes that will increase your displacement.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what ever you do do not bend the oil squirters......knife edge the crank instead....alot of thought goes into placing the squirter in the right directions.....also if you plan on sleeving the block dont worry about the R/S....its not that big of a deal...ive had my lsv running for over 4 years daily driver 50+ miles a day....8.5k rpm...no problems