Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD NOISE SUPPOSEDLY COMING FROM TRANNY ON MY H22

Old 12-16-2003, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHERE IS THIS LOUD NOISE COMING FROM ON MY H22? :(

I have an issue fellas. I believe my tranny is going. The reason why I say this is not due to the gears shifting bad, they shift fine. I can get into every gear perfectly, only sometimes 5th will grind, but maybe that has to do with the synchro for that gear, but anyways while im driving highway speed or not even and I let off my gas and coast while the car is still in gear, no matter if its 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th, I will hear a grinding rubbing noise coming from the trans area, now when I put the car in neutral, and coast it goes away, so it has something to do with when the gear is engaged, now understand when I give it gas, the grinding will pretty much go away, let off and its back again. I have no clue what this is and really didnt wanna drop a tranny just yet to find out. I've had so many ideas, maybe my pressure plate on my clutch, maybe my release bearing, I really dont know. All I know is my tranny and clutch function properly, cept for a very minoot grinding going on when I go into 5th, which I am not really concerned with, its the rubbing, friction sound I hear when I let off that bothers me. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If its the trans and I have to buy another one, I would like to know what is the best tranny for this motor. I do plan on turboing it next year, so maybe something with longer gears, I dont know. I heard h23 trannys are really nice for this motor and actually create more torque. Is this true? My current setup is as follows. I have a 1993 civic 4dr dx with an 1997 h22a4 motor. HCP mounts, act stage 3 clutch, fidanza flywheel, 3inch cold air intake from an LS integra with aem bypass valve, an-r equal length 4-1 headers, totem traction bars, custom fabricated front mount for motor, GSR spindles in front, antisway bar, front and rear strut tower bars and rear lower bar, progress progressive coils with 2 inch drop, dropzone struts (car rides like a dream), ngk wires and plugs, running hondata s200 with 3-step, and an apex n1 2.5 stainless exhaust, no cat, straight pipe. Thanks guys, hope to hear from you soon. Also, I am looking for an inspection plate I believe its called. My flywheel is exposed a little bit on the bottom side of my motor, cuz the bell housing is round and the motor is straight and I heard there is an inspection cover of some sort that goes down there. I went to the dealership but had no luck. Do you guys know of anything like this and where I can get one? Thanks ---Kenny

Old 12-16-2003, 01:28 PM

Default Re: WHERE IS THIS LOUD NOISE COMING FROM ON MY H22? :( (spoolingpower)

have you checked your trans fluid? Also the grinding goes away totally when in neutral?
Old 12-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a throw out bearing. my friend had the same problem with his car. replaced it and it was all good.

Modified by Honda Sport at 11:47 PM 12/16/2003
Old 01-06-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: (Honda Sport)

I had the problem too. It is the throw out bearing.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: (Dai_Ca_Vietnam_H22a4)

Sorry, but a release bearing isn't going to cause a noise dependent on throttle application while at speed.
BTW a release bearing usually depends on foot on/off the clutch pedal.

It sounds like your describing more of a roaring sensation when driving. If so, it sound like a differential end-play/bearing problem.

I am on my third trans in the civic. Got to love differential/bearing noise. Just recently swapped in a H23 trans and love it. Hope this helps.
Later IZ