Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into getting CRX then doing b16A swap... Many questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into getting CRX then doing b16A swap... Many questions!!!

1.) I want to get the Hasport mount kit, linkage and axles? Are they worth getting over the stock stuff that comes with it?

2.) I have read that when you get the engine harness from a JDM engine, everything is pretty much mirrored from the USDM harness, due to the RHD/LHD difference. Any truth to this? What would I do to fix this? Splice the connectors from the B16A harness the the CRX Si harness and exteneded wires as needed?

3.) Would anyone recommend piecing together a swap. I.E. buy a longblock and then try to find a tranny for it and ECU? The advantage would be not having Oem linkage and mounts leftover when I get all the Hasport stuff.

4.) IS the hasport subharness recommened. Read it was needed to wire in VTEC.

This is my first swap, so base your answers on the experience of a noob! LOL

I'm sure I'll think of more. Will check back in 30 minutes
Old 02-17-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Looking into getting CRX then doing b16A swap... Many questions!!! (Justin_Bradley)

1) Get the Hasport mounts and linkage. The Haport axles only if you are planning on squeezing more than the 160BHP it has stock (ie....turbo, supercharger, building the motor up, etc...) If you don't plan on building it up for awhile then just use 90-93 Integra NON ABS Manual axles.

2) Use your original engine harness (I think you said SI harness, use that one) everything will plug right in.

3) I suggest you buy it as a package, (engine, tranny, ecu).

4) Subharness from Haport will save you time. I wired it in myself and saved myself the $75.00 or whatever it was 2 years ago. It's not difficult.

Other than that stuff, PM me and I will be glad to help. Sounds like you have a damn good idea of what you need.

Damon
Old 02-17-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Looking into getting CRX then doing b16A swap... Many questions!!! (Justin_Bradley)

The Hasport mounts are def one of the best out on the market. You could save money and just get 90-93 integra axles.

Since you have an Si, all you need to do is remove the dust ring on the side of the axle that goes into the hub and the ring on the inside part of the hub.

Use your stock Si harness, and then just add the wires for vtec, oil pressure,knock and 2nd 02... You can save money on the hasport subharness by doing this yourself. Really isnt that hard to do.

Any more questions, feel free to PM me or post on here...

Good luck...
Old 02-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ditto what the rest of the guys said about the hasport mounts and linkage. Regarding the axles though, their suggestions will work, as long as you have the SK7 intermediate shaft, if you have the SH3 unit, the drivers side axle will need to be different. The subharness is handy if you don't have the parts, skill, or desire to do your own minor wiring. Be sure to definately use your existing CRX Si engine harness on the B16A, that way, 98% of your wiring is already done.

Old 02-17-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Looking into getting CRX then doing b16A swap... Many questions!!! (locash)

Everything everyone else said but regarding the axles you can save money if you don't mind changing them out every 4 months or so(even if you drive like an *** and have 200whp) by buying them from Kragen with a warranty so when they start to go out you can take them back for some new ones...they will last alot longer if your car has camber correction.stock is fine
Old 02-22-2005, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Looking into getting CRX then doing b16A swap... Many questions!!! (rocketfuelcerx)

So the harness that comes with the B16A does get used, and I should just use the harness from the D16A6?

I do plan on building the motor up, eventually. Should I go with the axles now so that I can get them in while I have everything out to do the swap?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:59 AM

1.) Definitely recommend a mount kit. There are lots o manufacturers of these, so shop around, do your research, and set a budget. As far as axles, few swaps come with the JDM axles these days. I would recommend buying these from your local parts store(rebuilt). Depending on what tranny you get with the swap, you may have to make a few changes on the axles themselves(like removing the spacer and dust seals) which are easy to do. Linkage can also be sourced from a variety of places.

2.) "Splice the connectors from the B16A harness the the CRX Si harness and exteneded wires as needed?" Bingo. Take what sensors you need from the JDM harness and splice them in.

3.) "Would anyone recommend piecing together a swap." It's up to you. In the long run if you're just piecing together a stock swap, it's seldom worthwhile. Since you have to source all the individual parts, you may have a hard time getting a hold of certain sensors, harnesses, etc that are crucial to a clean swap.

4.) "IS the hasport subharness recommened. Read it was needed to wire in VTEC."
Wiring an Si for the B16a swap is easy, and if you have the capacity to read up on it, you should give it a try. Saves some more money. Ultimately, this is your call.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Looking into getting CRX then doing b16A swap... Many questions!!! (sonicrex)

Anyone recommend any brands? Don't need ones for a 9-sec drag car, just a streetable, weekend racer. So nothing to high brand, but don't want them to break.

What is the best bang for the buck? All I know of is Hasport and Enjo...
Old 02-24-2005, 10:37 AM

The Hasport mounts in my CRX/B16A transmit an insane amount of vibration to the chassis. What other mount options are there, and do any of them offer a decent level of vibration dampening?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Looking into getting CRX then doing b16A swap... Many questions!!! (I6turbo)

I had the hasport mounts and I don't understand why everyone says that the vibration is so bad. I agree, that it is a little more than stock but nothing out of this world. I would go with the hasport mounts.

I have not seen the HCP mounts but I hear they are very well made, as well as AZracemachine. Other than those three companies though, its pretty much a crap-pile.

My .02 though, would be to stick to hasport.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Looking into getting CRX then doing b16A swap... Many questions!!! (Fred n J's_1.8's)

I've always heard good things about the Hasports, but vibration with mine is nothing short of awful.

A couple of days ago I thought of something that I need to check.... I'm wondering if any of the mounts on the car are made such that overtightening the through-bolt could clamp the mount pieces together and eliminate the dampening effect. The engine is so secure that it does not move in the least at idle, or when you blip the throttle. It wouldn't be in there any more firmly if the mounts were solid. I don't know if that's normal of not with the Hasports, but a consequence is a lot of vibration transmitted to the chassis.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Looking into getting CRX then doing b16A swap... Many questions!!! (Fred n J's_1.8's)

Yeah, I can vouch that the AZ Race + Machine mounts are well made. Used to be a bit cheaper than HASport last I saw.

http://www.azracemachine.com/