Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp mode b20 in a 99 civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode b20 in a 99 civic

99 ex with b20b, dc sports headers, P06 ECU that is chipped but that was by previous owner. Not sure what chip was used.

During the summer when it was hot car would go into limp mode after driving 20 some minutes on the highway. 65mph. Sometimes CEL and most of the time no CEL. When I did have a CEL the code was 43. I think? Cant remember. I remember it was the code for fuel injection system. If I pull over, turn the car off and back on it fixes it. I guess it reset the ECU. But after another 20 some mins it would happen again. Also I want to note that not every day would it do this. All random times.

I took the car into a shop 2 months ago and they fixed it. Said the air intake sensor was not wired correct making ECU go into limp mode. Plus the timing was off. This took care of it. And the engine was fine after this. Had more power and felt like it was generally running correct in all gears.

So 2 months later when it is getting cold and windy out it started again. Same thing. When it is under 50F same problem. But since it was fixed at the shop the limp mode is not as harsh as before. If I floor the car I can still move when I am on the highway. Before it would barely go if I floored it. Same for when I get off the highway and drive around.

Since I got the car a few months ago I have done 2 oil changes with fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank, replaced upper and lower coolant hoses (since they were leaking), new tires. Also One day I went out to turn my car on and nothing at all. No fuel pump buzzing on, no lights in my car worked at all. Tried jumping but this didn't do anything. Wouldn't start at all. It was towed and fixed. There was a power wire grounding out on my starter that drained the battery overnight (so says the mechanic). The day before this happened no problems at all. Never would of known. Battery was fine and I haven't had this problem again.

I wondering if this is an electrical issue again or if it is an ECU issue. Think I should try a new chipped ECU or lean towards looking for wiring issues. Like sensors not hooked up right?

Thanks for reading.