Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

k20z1 swap into a DC2? name all the things i would need to make it work!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k20z1 swap into a DC2? name all the things i would need to make it work!!

yup.

heard the ecu was unusable and something about the mount on the tranny side being different and hasport hasn't made a mount kit for it yet??
Old 01-24-2006, 05:12 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: k20z1 swap into a DC2? name all the things i would need to make it work!! (EVOL)

nvm edited
Old 01-24-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Re: k20z1 swap into a DC2? name all the things i would need to make it work!! (DvD3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DvD3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nvm edited</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-24-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Re: k20z1 swap into a DC2? name all the things i would need to make it work!! (EVOL)

check out the new super street. theres a DC with a k20 in it. its pretty damn clean. its a gray one and its the cover car along with its twin ek hatch! check it out
Old 01-24-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: k20z1 swap into a DC2? name all the things i would need to make it work!! (AllmotaDa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AllmotaDa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check out the new super street. theres a DC with a k20 in it. its pretty damn clean. its a gray one and its the cover car along with its twin ek hatch! check it out</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have that issue. it's not a k20z1. it's a k20a2.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The big problem with K20Z's is they are all drive by wire (DBW) throttlebody equipped and the ecu's are totally different than K20A ecu's.

So you'll either have to change out the whole intake manifold for that of a K20A Type-S or Type-R manifold and cable driven TB. Or get some kind of adaptor plate for the K20Z intake manifold to bolt on a K20A cable drive TB.

As for the ecu, you won't be able to run the K20Z ecu. Unless someone has made a special harness for a DC integra to use a K20Z ecu; but even that would pose as a problem for various reasons (multiplexor & immobilzer issues mainly) - perhaps Hondata has hacked the K20Z ecu or will be in the near future. So, your next options would be to run a JDM or US K20A ecu and have it reflashed by Hondata, or have them KPRO the ecu, or run an AEM EMS 1030 ECU.

I'm not sure what's changed regarding tranny mounts on a K20Z, I figure Honda wouldn't change up the tranny mount locations, but maybe they have? I'll have to check...
Old 01-26-2006, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Katman)

Yep, Honda changed the transmission mounting a bit for the K20Z transmission. It is similiar to the TSX mounting if I am not mistaken.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (locash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by locash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yep, Honda changed the transmission mounting a bit for the K20Z transmission. It is similiar to the TSX mounting if I am not mistaken. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for confirming my friend...
Old 01-26-2006, 01:19 PM

one guy on k20a.org confirmed he swapped a k20z1 into his eg with hasport mounts..and i asked if he did anything special but he did not reply yet.

i also called hasport and they said i needed to use a tranny from the k20a's...(k20a/k20a2)
then again, it is rumored that hasport's "tech support" isn't always the greatest. i don't hold that against them, since a million people probably call with lame questions, but it helps add to the confusion
Old 01-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EVOL)

I believe Locash is correct. Btw, he works with Hasport

I also just confirmed that the 06 Si (K20Z) does have a different tranny mount location vs. the K20A trannies.

So yes, its true. you need to use a K20A tranny or sit back and wait for Hasport to make a TSX/K20Z tranny mount kit..or make your own
Old 01-26-2006, 02:01 PM

yah..i ended up getting a '02 k20a2 with 28k. just sent out payment yesterday, can't wait. the only advantage i see of the k20z1 swap is the final drive which wasn't worth all the other headaches IMO
Old 01-26-2006, 02:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe Locash is correct. Btw, he works with Hasport

I also just confirmed that the 06 Si (K20Z) does have a different tranny mount location vs. the K20A trannies.

So yes, its true. you need to use a K20A tranny or sit back and wait for Hasport to make a TSX/K20Z tranny mount kit..or make your own </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well maybe...i would put money that you could swap bell housings and that would work perfectly...I've been reading up on people attempting to swap tsx gears into k20 housings...
Old 01-26-2006, 02:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The big problem with K20Z's is they are all drive by wire (DBW) throttlebody equipped and the ecu's are totally different than K20A ecu's.

So you'll either have to change out the whole intake manifold for that of a K20A Type-S or Type-R manifold and cable driven TB. Or get some kind of adaptor plate for the K20Z intake manifold to bolt on a K20A cable drive TB.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is the same problem people like me face with putting the K24a2 motor into an eg/dc...I'm using the RBC mani, with a type s intake manifold. Speed werks makes an adapter plate so that the Type-S TB can be used. Karcepts is also working on another such plate but his would make it so no drilling into the RBC intake manifold would be necessary...
Old 01-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RedR0cket)

if you wanna be ballzy since you didnt get a type R you could use a B series type R lsd but yeah...im lookin for a teg to put a k24 into right now...im tellin you...this is no easy swap (have done k20 into eg)
just read k20a.org nikos has made a great site
and good luck...
p.s. as expensive as it is...ITS DEFF WORTH IT
Old 01-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EVOL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EVOL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the only advantage i see of the k20z1 swap is the final drive which wasn't worth all the other headaches IMO</TD></TR></TABLE>

and don't forget the LSD!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedR0cket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well maybe...i would put money that you could swap bell housings and that would work perfectly...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedR0cket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Speed werks makes an adapter plate so that the Type-S TB can be used.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah yeah, I've seen that adaptor plate. nice little invention of theirs

Old 01-26-2006, 03:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and don't forget the LSD!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

K20Z1 does not have LSD, thats the new SI=K20z3
Old 01-26-2006, 03:52 PM

Default Re: (A L I A S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by A L I A S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you wanna be ballzy since you didnt get a type R you could use a B series type R lsd but yeah...im lookin for a teg to put a k24 into right now...im tellin you...this is no easy swap (have done k20 into eg)
just read k20a.org nikos has made a great site
and good luck...
p.s. as expensive as it is...ITS DEFF WORTH IT </TD></TR></TABLE>

The b series LSD does not fit like a glove dood. You need to machine certain parts of it to make it fit. I dont even recomend using the Stock K20a LSD...It doesnt seem worth it with all the power a k24a2 will be putting down. I'm going with the quaife hands down
Old 01-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K20Z1 does not have LSD, thats the new SI=K20z3 </TD></TR></TABLE>

doh yeah...sheit..my baad!
Old 01-26-2006, 04:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

doh yeah...sheit..my baad! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah' dont sweat it, we all learn something new today...I'm trying to get good at precal! Damn math for being so hard!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure that the K20Z1's are not a DBW system. The new '06 Si(K20Z3) is, but I believe that the Z1's still use a regular cable throttle.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TrueZen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrueZen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm pretty sure that the K20Z1's are not a DBW system. The new '06 Si(K20Z3) is, but I believe that the Z1's still use a regular cable throttle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're correct.

Steve
Old 02-01-2006, 11:22 AM

Default Re: (k-series)

now BRIAN G from HASPORT just confirmed the k20z1 type s tranny shares the same mount as the older model type s transmissions!

i remember i called hasport awhile back and one of the employees who answered the phone said it wouldn't work and to use an older tranny that would mount up...LOL
Old 02-03-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: (TrueZen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrueZen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm pretty sure that the K20Z1's are not a DBW system. The new '06 Si(K20Z3) is, but I believe that the Z1's still use a regular cable throttle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the heck is the point of DBW anyway? What advantage does it have over a regular cable? And why does the Civic Si have DBW but not the RSX? They're not even consistent.

I can sorta understand DBW for mid-engine cars, because running wires to the back of the car is a little easier than a throttle cable, but not for FWD where there's so little distance between the throttle pedal and the throttle body.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EVOL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yup.

heard the ecu was unusable and something about the mount on the tranny side being different and hasport hasn't made a mount kit for it yet??</TD></TR></TABLE>

It does fit...mounts are the same, speed sensor is different!
Old 02-03-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Re: k20z1 swap into a DC2? name all the things i would need to make it work!! (SuzukaBlueEh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuzukaBlueEh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It does fit...mounts are the same, speed sensor is different! </TD></TR></TABLE>

um, read my last post LOL but thanks

Quick Reply: k20z1 swap into a DC2? name all the things i would need to make it work!!