Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K20/K24 '02 CR-V headswap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default K20/K24 '02 CR-V headswap?

I'm posting for a friend, so sorry about my unfamiliarity of the K-series.

A friend of mine has a 2002 CR-V and she would like some more oomph. She's owned Hondas for years and years and misses that "sporty feeling" that some of the older models gave her, but she loves her CR-V and likes sitting up tall.

So she's interested in modifying the CR-V. I mentioned that I'd heard of the K20 head swap, but I couldn't tell her how her specs for her K24A1 might change.

Could anyone help me out so I have some info to give her?

Also, I searched and didn't get a definite answer. How much might such a head swap go for?
Old 10-28-2007, 04:40 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I have this backwards. I think you would be better off making it a stroker or use the k20 bottom end. I think it already has the right head.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:01 AM
H-T White Ops

Well, I've heard of people doing this head swap. Unfortunately, most of the stuff I find on searches turns out to be people talking about wanting to do or recommending the head swap.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (NOFX)

I'm sorry I don't have solid info. for you other than a program on speed once did that headswap to an element which has the same K24. The K20 head flows alot better. You'd need Kpro to tune it with afterward to take full advantage of the swap.
Once again sorry I don't have all the solid sure fire info. for you but it is possible and does give a very noticeable bump in performance. Search around H-T and i'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
Good luck
Old 10-28-2007, 09:59 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (hard charging 929)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hard charging 929 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sorry I don't have solid info. for you other than a program on speed once did that headswap to an element which has the same K24. The K20 head flows alot better. You'd need Kpro to tune it with afterward to take full advantage of the swap.
Once again sorry I don't have all the solid sure fire info. for you but it is possible and does give a very noticeable bump in performance. Search around H-T and i'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
Good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

the porgramn you saw required th use of an adapter since elements have MAF sensoers.

the element ecu is not compatible with kpro as is the 06-08 si, 06+ RSX, element, and CRV. hytech offers reflashes i belive but they arent helpful for what your "freind" wants to do.

however there are people out there that do make PRB ecu adabters to the element and crv they are quite rare and there is not to my knowledge a company that makes it. the only way to get them right this second is to build it yourself or to go to a forum and join a group buy. (id tell you which one but we're not allowed to post links to diffrent forums on here)

she can run the kpro but shell lose i belive a/c functionality, tach and spedo.

the crv will not be smog legal which to some is a probelm. the crv head doesnt flow as well becuase of the diffrent style of varible valve control. also like the TSX there is a EGR directly connected to the head.

she will not "feel" sporty in her crv even with the head swap.............sounds to me this is her first SUV/Xover vehicle and she doesnt like it..........

she'll feel more power but slightly it wont fly like say a k24a1/k20a2 hybrid EG

Modified by suicide_shift at 12:18 AM 10/29/2007
Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">throw on a k20a2 head, k20a2 oil pump, kpro

k20a.org has alot of k series info </TD></TR></TABLE>
Well, this isn't for someone who is usually into modifying cars. But she would like her CR-V to be "peppier", for lack of a better word.

So I'm worried about the price for her and I'm worried about if this would give her the results she's looking for.

I mean, the results of a K24A1 block with K20A2 head in an RSX are going to be different than the same combo in a heavier CR-V.

I'm not sure if a turbo might be a better idea for her. She hasn't mentioned price being a problem yet, but I'm sure she doesn't want to throw loads into it or have the car down for a long time.

So in the event she does either, it's not going to be a build. It'd just be the head swap or turbo install and that's all.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is someone on k20a.org that has a Honda Element with a frank motor i believe it was...i think he mentioned he won a burnout contest...she will have no problems putting a head onto the k24a1 block because you will not need to change out the pistons and rods like the k24a4 motors...i would say if she had everything needed b4 she did the head swap that it can be done in a weekend...if she doesnt want to bother with a headswap then a turbo kit would be nice </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-29-2007, 01:09 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, this isn't for someone who is usually into modifying cars. But she would like her CR-V to be "peppier", for lack of a better word.

So I'm worried about the price for her and I'm worried about if this would give her the results she's looking for.

I mean, the results of a K24A1 block with K20A2 head in an RSX are going to be different than the same combo in a heavier CR-V.

I'm not sure if a turbo might be a better idea for her. She hasn't mentioned price being a problem yet, but I'm sure she doesn't want to throw loads into it or have the car down for a long time.

So in the event she does either, it's not going to be a build. It'd just be the head swap or turbo install and that's all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

to see the best improvment she would have to do both, which again would bring up the fuel management issue.

there is no simple way that an older lady can make her car have more power,

again yes she can do it physically but extensive wiring or a harness will have to be made, which would confuse her...........just tell her to get an intake header and exhuast and she might "think" she feels the extra power.

k series engine are responsive to bolt ons yes........but not with that paper weight of a head. let me put this in perspective for both of you

a k24a1 head or k20a3 head have a hard time selling for 150 bucks on k20a.org (most people just recycle them)

an RSX-s head will see more than 850 if in prime condition.

the adadpter harness i mentioned from the other forum will go for 250 (group buy you cannot haggle him) for the element. sorry a CRV one does NOT exist, you can make one or enlist ryan to make one for you.

kpro goes for 1100 all said and done

you will have to purchase a used PRB 5 speed ecu or you can pay the addiotnal 400 bucks to get the pre assembeld kit from hondata (kpro+ prb ready to go 1500-1600)

RBC intake manfiolds go for 300 bucks avg.

RDX 440cc's will be a cheap OEM alternative to RC injectors hwever you or the woman must figureout how to adapt them, for us k series civic guys we use toytoa inector housings. it wont work on a CRV/element.

you said you wanted a turbo kit?
look into a few grand for this one and vast amonts of down time.

if she has the extended warranty from the dealership it will be void and null on the drivetrian or completley. the best thing to do is to leave it stock or buy an element to tune.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:55 PM
H-T White Ops

I had wondered briefly about this before, but while talking to toyomatt84 he brought up supercharging the CR-V too.

I wonder if that might be a better idea for her.

I've already told her how i/h/e won't really give her any decent gains and to steer clear of scams like the Tornado (for example).
Old 10-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had wondered briefly about this before, but while talking to toyomatt84 he brought up supercharging the CR-V too.

I wonder if that might be a better idea for her.

I've already told her how i/h/e won't really give her any decent gains and to steer clear of scams like the Tornado (for example).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unlike the B or D series engines, the K-series engines respond quite well to standard bolt-ons.

Getting the following:
70mm exhaust
Quality Header
Higher flow cat (maybe an RSX-S model)
'06+ TSX or RBC (Accord Euro-R) intake manifold
bored out/larger throttle body
Cold air induction box with quality filter
K-pro w/ a proper tune

...would easily yield 25whp, if not, much more. And, overall costs would be less than a supercharger or turbo setup, while maintaining street legality and keeping the drivetrain low maintenance. As of right now, I'm working on upgrading my K24a2's drivetrain in a similar manner. I'll let you know later in the Spring, what I get for numbers.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (toyomatt84)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toyomatt84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unlike the B or D series engines, the K-series engines respond quite well to standard bolt-ons.

Getting the following:
70mm exhaust
Quality Header
Higher flow cat (maybe an RSX-S model)
'06+ TSX or RBC (Accord Euro-R) intake manifold
bored out/larger throttle body
Cold air induction box with quality filter
K-pro w/ a proper tune

</TD></TR></TABLE>

the RBC intake manifold is from an 06+ si, it isnt the same as a tsx or euro r intake mani. the rbc is rumored to outflow the k20a-r mani.

cant really run k pro on these cars.

and BDL just came out with a 70mm throttle body, you can get a karcepts? brand new 70MM adapter to gt it to fit the RBC (the 06+ si cpe/sdn is DBW)

again bolt-ons will result minimal gain with that damn head on there, i belive greddy emanage came out with a piggyback for the CRV (you all know how piggy backs work)

hondata heatshield gasket, not bad for 50 bucks.........otherwise i really dont see anything MAJOR you could do unless its an off the shelf super or turbo charger kit.....
nitrous could help

so in short forget
-k20a2 oiling system
-k20a2 head
-6-speed trans swaps
-kpro
any really OEM upgrade besides the IM

maybe my next car will be a modded SUV, i dunno. ive learned so much about these motors working on the Ej1

Modified by suicide_shift at 3:29 PM 10/29/2007