Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just started my Hybrid---Need help with surging idle and clutch problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just started my Hybrid---Need help with surging idle and clutch problem.

Hey Guys:

When I start the car it revs first to 3K(or thereabouts, I don't have a tach), and holds for a few seconds. Then it falls to 300(?) or so, it doesn't hitch or anything, then it revs back up to 1500-2000, then falls, revs,falls, and continues to see-saw even after warmup.

I have looked and looked for a vacuum leak and haven't been able to find one. I have bled the air out of the coolant and changed out the fuel pump, but it makes no difference. I disconnected the IAB and it still did it, only at significantly lower rpms, and threw a CEL (turns out my brand new scanner is broken, btw)

Any thoughts?

Also, in what is hopefully an unrelated issue, the wheels on my car turn slightly with the clutchpedal out and the shifter in neutral?! My car is off of the ground and the front wheels are off of it but this seems kind of strange. Clutch feel is normal, and I am %99 certain I got all the air out when I bled it.

Thanks for any help

Steve
Old 02-06-2002, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just started my Hybrid---Need help with surging idle and clutch problem. (LXguy)

That sounds like a throttle body leak, check the gasket to make sure it sealed correctly. Put your finger over it and see if you feel anything coming out. As soon as you plug the leak the idle will calm down right away.

HTH

-Todd
Old 02-07-2002, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just started my Hybrid---Need help with surging idle and clutch problem. (LXguy)

could be your TPS sensor - adjust to 0.5v at closed throttle.

(something to do with the way the ecu thinks it is idleing...?)

wheels should spin in the air - cause of the throw out bearing touching the pressure plate(i think - it does it on mine...) - no worries there!

hth,

t..
Old 02-07-2002, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Just started my Hybrid---Need help with surging idle and clutch problem. (tinkerbell)

What scantool do you have that is already broke?
Old 02-07-2002, 08:01 AM

Remove the fast idle valve from the bottom of the throttle body. look at the plunger inside of it and see if it is a little bit sideways. If so, this is probably your problem. I have replaced about 3 at my shop in the last month on cars that were doing the exact same thing. Dealer item only, usually about $65. Also check to see if the idle screw is backed out too far. This may also cause the same problem. If the computer sees the idle too high, it will flucuate the idle.
-Shannon

[Modified by alternativeauto, 9:28 PM 2/7/2002]
Old 02-07-2002, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Just started my Hybrid---Need help with surging idle and clutch problem. (alternativeauto)

What causes your wheels to spin is the fluid moving around in the Transmission That is a good thing. As far as the Idle It is either your TPS or IAC Valve. TPS(Throttle Postion Sensor) IACV (Idle Arm Control Valve)
Old 02-07-2002, 11:31 AM
New User

Default Re: Just started my Hybrid---Need help with surging idle and clutch problem. (98EK4)

Did I miss something here? What code was the ecu throwing?

I think it would be easier to find out what is malfunctioning rather than just taking guesses at stuff.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Just started my Hybrid---Need help with surging idle and clutch problem. (cheezemaster)

my car does these exact two things I just did a 97 integra ls swap with Y21 tranny into a 96 civic ex. Neither one of these problems throw codes well at least didn't for me. I did get two codes when it was idling though a misfire in cylinder 4 then a misfire in cylinder 2 both in different times. I think I just need my valves and timing adjusted a little. other than that it runs strong. I'm going to check the tps and fast idle valve to see if it is either one of those. Thanks
Old 02-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just started my Hybrid---Need help with surging idle and clutch problem. (cheezemaster)

yeah - you missed when he said that he disconnected the IAB and it threw a code - no codes other than that - so i guess thats why we are guessing...
--
any other codes dude?

t..

[Modified by tinkerbell, 11:43 PM 2/7/2002]
Old 02-07-2002, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Just started my Hybrid---Need help with surging idle and clutch problem. (tinkerbell)

Thanks for the responses.

The only time I have seen a CEL is when I disconnected the wiring for the idle air.

I bet someone here hapoo poo the nail on the head. I am going to try all of this stuff tonight.

I am going to get another POS Autozone scanner on the way home and hope I have better luck getting to the bottom of this. I'll post if I figure out anything or get any codes.

Thanks again

Steve

Old 02-07-2002, 03:04 PM

Ive had this on my car and a couple of my friends and it has always been the fast idle valve as alternativeauto said in an earlier post.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Just started my Hybrid---Need help with surging idle and clutch problem. (GEN2 HYBRID)

Hey:

I think it is the fast idle thermo valve. the shaft looked like it was off center, and the whole assembly was rattling around when I took it apart. There is a lot of slop between the shaft and the plunger (is this suppposed to be like this or is it FUBAR?). Does this sound like what you meant?

Also, when the car was running, I plugged half of the hole going to the FITV, the idle immediately levelled off and sounded like it should.

Thanks a ton for the help. If I can find one of these things tomorrow, I may be hybriding by the weekend.

Steve
Old 02-08-2002, 04:59 AM

Definetely sounds like the Fast Idle Valve, Should not really rattle around. Try to swap it out with the one off your single cam TB (If your SC Motor is 92-95). The only difference is the direction the coolant outlet is pointed. These can be interchanged. I order all of mine through Honda (Right across the street from me) and just interchange the outlets!
-Shannon