Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM H23A into CRX

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: JDM H23A into CRX

I got them off ebay, I thought they were the $150 ones and they were the $60 ones. The crown nuts look different and they do not have the blue boots... I'll probably use them anyway
Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice build, be happy you shyd away from ESP, I bought my mount kit and a special bracket from him, bracket failed at a weld (daily driven vehicle, not a track car) and he basically told me to kick stones when I emailed, only has time to make money not honor his warranty, the powdercoat on all of my mounts is "spiderring" aswell, after only one season

Im curious if youre going to cut the hood, or sacrifice ground clearance
Old 03-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KevinEF7
Nice build, be happy you shyd away from ESP, I bought my mount kit and a special bracket from him, bracket failed at a weld (daily driven vehicle, not a track car) and he basically told me to kick stones when I emailed, only has time to make money not honor his warranty, the powdercoat on all of my mounts is "spiderring" aswell, after only one season

Im curious if youre going to cut the hood, or sacrifice ground clearance
Thank you for the first hand information about ESP. They are a mom and pop style place and it's always hit or miss with parts from companies like that. Glad I went with innovative with the lifetime warranty and plenty of background on there products.

I was speaking with a representative at innovative. He told me ill have to use the h22 drivers side engine mount bracket that the h23a bracket will position it wrong. I'm not sure if that means the swap will sit to high or to low. I plan on a fiberglass zc style hood or carbon fiber. Ones $350 the other $700. If to high. The driver schools at Sebring where I will be tracking the car states I have to have 5" of ground clearance from the lowest part of the frame rail (driver/passanger jack point I'm thinking) so I will not be slammed or donk I'm looking for a equal ride height to match in performance.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the J2 engineering front lower control arms in. These are the spherical ones.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by h22god
Thank you for the first hand information about ESP. They are a mom and pop style place and it's always hit or miss with parts from companies like that. Glad I went with innovative with the lifetime warranty and plenty of background on there products.

I was speaking with a representative at innovative. He told me ill have to use the h22 drivers side engine mount bracket that the h23a bracket will position it wrong. I'm not sure if that means the swap will sit to high or to low. I plan on a fiberglass zc style hood or carbon fiber. Ones $350 the other $700. If to high. The driver schools at Sebring where I will be tracking the car states I have to have 5" of ground clearance from the lowest part of the frame rail (driver/passanger jack point I'm thinking) so I will not be slammed or donk I'm looking for a equal ride height to match in performance.
You might need the USDM VIS SIR style hood with the raised center. I found one on CL and will be using it for my H2B EF car.

Interested to here your thoughts on the control arms.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
You might need the USDM VIS SIR style hood with the raised center. I found one on CL and will be using it for my H2B EF car.

Interested to here your thoughts on the control arms.

I really like the style of the ZC hood. If I can get by with it, I want to. Definitely okay with
The USDM style SIR hood as an alternative. I did find a fiberglass style ZC hood as well
I just don't know what kind of clearance I will need until the swap is in so it will be one of the last pieces of the puzzle.

89-91 CRX
That's the fiberglass one.

The control arms weigh in at 3.8 pounds lighter than stock each. So that's a bonus.
The quality is top notch, the spherical joints are installed correctly, the machining looks
Great as well all around. They are a bit shorter than stock (not sure how much but I think around 3/4) so you can run different offsets and clear without rolling your fenders plus better camber angles the roll center adjuster/extended lower ball joint will also aid in keeping the suspension geometry in the sweet spot (when I do finally drive it)

http://www.deftracing.com/fiber_glas..._honda_crx.htm they have a nice fiberglass one.

Last edited by h22god; 03-07-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Steve at Heart

$200 for a hood is cheap
Old 03-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$200 for a hood is cheap
https://www.octanemotorsports.com/19...FVclgQodtsgEyA

Gonna go with that one most likely, it looks raised like the SIR plus the ZC hump.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the insane shafts. Another top notch looking product.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:05 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That hood is a regular ZC hood, lighting makes it look raised.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The first or second one?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:19 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post #58, you stated it looked "like an SiR hood plus the ZC hump."
Old 03-09-2016, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
Post #58, you stated it looked "like an SiR hood plus the ZC hump."
I was confused on which one. That sucks. I really thought
They fixed the hood clearance issues with the innovative mounts.
?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm giving Andy a chance before I talk about these. Check back in 24 hours.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright... the AMR engineering upper control arms look fantastic. The ball joints are another story. One the crown nut that was supplied was cross threaded and the ball joint on the other control arm was locked up and I had to put it in a vice to get it to move and now It's to tight to move the way it should and would surely cause bind and not a freely moving part as it should.

I got ahold of Andy at AMR and he is shipping me new ball joints.

It's not okay they were not in good shape. He did recover and I'm happy about that. Promptly.

Would I go to him again... I'm not sure. But definitely looks like a great product when everything is the way it should be.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:46 PM
Steve at Heart

Glad you had a good experience with AMR. Unfortunately for me I wouldn't want to deal with someone and the reputation he holds. Hopefully it works out though. At the same time EF chassis is limited for quality camber kits.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you had a good experience with AMR. Unfortunately for me I wouldn't want to deal with someone and the reputation he holds. Hopefully it works out though. At the same time EF chassis is limited for quality camber kits.
Yeah man. The bad part about it is I seen stuff about Andy afterwards. Seen some video of him on some beach in some country blasting "haters" and claiming the highest quality products.

I don't have his coilovers so I can't speak about those.

He does outsource the ball joints so can't really say it's his product. But definitely his quality control.

Definitely the last product I'll buy from him. But he is sending new ball joints, all on the house. So I wouldn't be discouraged if anyone orders from him. Just really look over the products when you receive them.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay I really would like all the sandbagging people to chime in on this...

I'm trying to look over the CCR for road racing here in my region . I think on the big end of it all I would like to be in time attack/TT if I get that far.

The rules are very detailed and I'm worried I am buying things that are against competition rules.

I'm going to race in the HPDE class and work my way up to a competition license. SCCA and NASA are both programs I want to start getting some track time in with.

So what I am asking is for advice on parts that I haven't purchased yet so I don't continue buying stuff I may have to change.

I had to scratch the K member idea because it has to be the stock one or swapped OEM.
I think the J2 front lowers are wrong. I think I can have sphericals in the OEM flca bodies but not the actual J2 bodies.... and so on. These are strictly competition rules. Not the HPDE that doesn't limit the car. So I will have to meet these rules before then.

Please any info at all I will seriously appreciate.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf

Last edited by h22god; 03-30-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:50 PM
Steve at Heart

Good information on the camber kit. As far as the racing setup, I would start a thread in the road race section.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good H22god!

Kevin- I asked you to return item and I would fix it...

Our prodcuts are the strongest on the market that is a guarantee. I warranty workmanship.
Inno has nothing on us when in comes to us especially with the EF H/F swap... The fitment of the motor and axle alignment is deadnut. I spent 2 months making the kit perfect on personal car. Inno has been known to be not the greatest. Fitment, sloppy holes, thin steel, not braced right...thin robotic tig'd and break... this is nothing new. All our products are HandMade and Hand welded. Nice thick SS welds. I do not skimp on quality. Have had customers jacking a car up and breaking the bar. It is not a Traction Bar System but a cross member replacement. Having a fixed end instead of heim to heim will only cause issues and not give full function. There is no kit better than ours hands down on the EF H/F swap was our first kit. I welcome competition but there just isn't. I also use the best axle combo available. I can tell you I have sold 20x any other EF H/F kit companies. Reason why it is the best fitting kit.

Inno don't know much on swaps. I have actually done them in house atleast 8 times over the years... Reason H23AV Blue Top needs driver side engine bracket to be replaced is because is has shorter mount pattern being Accord. Needs wider H22 pattern which is why need to swap driver side engine bracket to 92+ H22. $50 new from honda.

What is the reason for the hood? Motor wont clear? That was Hsquirts first issue.

Ours clears no issues.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know if the width of the F-UCA bushings changed over the ef/eg? I know the anchors are wider.im just not sure about the bushings. I'm asking because kingpinmachine.com sales sphericals but not for the EF. So I was wanting to know if I can put eg sphericals in the EF anchor and they will fit...? The only difference to me looks like the anchor width not the actual bushings/sphericals.

Thank you ESP. I went with innovative because of the complete product lifetime warranty. I was unsure of you're policy.

I'm not sure if innovative mounts clear the hood or not. I want a lightweight hood anyway.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/view...idproduct=8879

If you read that. It says they send just the hardware. Meaning to me you put the bushings in the EF anchors.

I think the sphericals from kingpin will work. I'm gonna email them.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

content://com.sec.android.app.sbrowser/readinglist/0404014142.mhtml

My bad I found them.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:11 AM
Steve at Heart

This kit is available. Still need the factory brackets to press them into.

https://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/view...idcategory=386
Old 04-04-2016, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Huge price difference, I'm getting a quote from kingpin shipped. He has 3 levels of sphericals available. Very detailed. SCCA compliant. They don't say much about those on JHPUSA

Quick Reply: JDM H23A into CRX