Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM GSR VS USDM GSR COMPADPILITY

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM GSR VS USDM GSR COMPADPILITY

94 Del Sol si.
Swapping in a obd1 jdm GSR. I have specific questions and need VERY specific answers.

1. Is the harness for the JDM GSR engine the same as the harness as the USDM engine (ie color codes)

2. Jdm motor...harness clips are on the opposite sides as the original d16z6 (si motor). I've extended the harness so the clips plug into eachother. I need to know if the clips plug directly in and mach up completly from the original SI DEL SOL to the JDM GSR. example---o2 sensor from the Del sol harness plugs into o2 sensor wire on the JDM GSR harness. (in other words no wire need to be switch around on the clips themselves.)

Basically the issue right now is that i have zero spark (no power to coil) fuel pump will not kick on ect ect ect. Fuel pump has been tested (jumped/checked relay and works just fine) ECU is powered and works fine. BOTH ECUs (del sol/gsr).

I NEED SPECIFICS! someone that has done this swap and KNOWS FOR SURE. please do not post "I THINK"

I DO NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL FACTORY HARNESS (d16z6 sub harness)
Old 04-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: JDM GSR VS USDM GSR COMPADPILITY (REWURKD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REWURKD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. Is the harness for the JDM GSR engine the same as the harness as the USDM engine (ie color codes) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes (if you are talking about wire colors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REWURKD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2. Jdm motor...harness clips are on the opposite sides as the original d16z6 (si motor). I've extended the harness so the clips plug into eachother. I need to know if the clips plug directly in and mach up completly from the original SI DEL SOL to the JDM GSR. example---o2 sensor from the Del sol harness plugs into o2 sensor wire on the JDM GSR harness. (in other words no wire need to be switch around on the clips themselves.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes
The clips are the same and go to the same ECU pinouts as USDM
Make sure that the wires are not messed up

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REWURKD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Basically the issue right now is that i have zero spark (no power to coil) fuel pump will not kick on ect ect ect. Fuel pump has been tested (jumped/checked relay and works just fine) ECU is powered and works fine. BOTH ECUs (del sol/gsr).</TD></TR></TABLE>

does the CEL go off after two seconds of the key is in the "on" position
Old 04-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM GSR VS USDM GSR COMPADPILITY (turbogixxer)

I cant reply to PMs sorry

Post it and I will answer it for you
Old 04-09-2004, 02:19 PM

CEL in the dash stays on when you turn the ignition key on.

From what I've read elsewhere, we were supposed to remove the JDM GSR engine subharness that clips to all the sensors and such and install the original D16z6 engine subharness. But now when we try and ask people about that it's too difficult to get straight answers from people

Ok, so if the USDM and JDM wiring is the same, do you think there is a difference between the wring pin positions between the B18c and D16z6 subharnesses on the engine? Ya know....you said the wires all go to the same spots on the ECU clips on both engines........but maybe the GSR engine subharness isn't compatible with the Delsol main ECU harness and the wires all all mixed up between the subharness and main harness????????

I'm running out of ideas. Any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated. PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEE

sorry for the fuss about this. We just HAVE to get this car running SOOOOOOOON
Old 04-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REWURKD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CEL in the dash stays on when you turn the ignition key on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like your main relay is not getting power and or bad

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REWURKD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what I've read elsewhere, we were supposed to remove the JDM GSR engine subharness that clips to all the sensors and such and install the original D16z6 engine subharness. But now when we try and ask people about that it's too difficult to get straight answers from people

Ok, so if the USDM and JDM wiring is the same, do you think there is a difference between the wring pin positions between the B18c and D16z6 subharnesses on the engine? Ya know....you said the wires all go to the same spots on the ECU clips on both engines........but maybe the GSR engine subharness isn't compatible with the Delsol main ECU harness and the wires all all mixed up between the subharness and main harness???????</TD></TR></TABLE>

People do not know cause it is easy to reuse the original harness
JDM harness are the same as USDM but they are flipped opposite for a RHD car
Things you should check:
the wires you extended or messed with
the main relay
Old 04-09-2004, 02:36 PM

Let me tell you are helping us BIG TIME!!!

Ok, narrowing things down....can you tell me where the main relay is located, and/or what it may look like?

there was a big gray colored relay underneath the driver side area(by the clutch pedal) big relay like 3" long, 1.5" wide, and 1.5" tall that we checked according to the haynes manual and it seemed to check out fine is that the main relay??? it's the one that supposuvely control voltage to the fuel pump.......again according to the haynes manual

seriously....thanks a ton for this help!!!
Old 04-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REWURKD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me tell you are helping us BIG TIME!!!

Ok, narrowing things down....can you tell me where the main relay is located, and/or what it may look like?

there was a big gray colored relay underneath the driver side area(by the clutch pedal) big relay like 3" long, 1.5" wide, and 1.5" tall that we checked according to the haynes manual and it seemed to check out fine is that the main relay??? it's the one that supposuvely control voltage to the fuel pump.......again according to the haynes manual

seriously....thanks a ton for this help!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is on the top of my head and i cant get it out

i will look in diagrams for it
i have been rewiring a OBD two GM harness all week so hondas are not at the top of my head right now
Old 04-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DAMN

I knew it was in the left kick panel
it should have seven wires going into it
Old 04-09-2004, 04:29 PM

Thanks again for your help Gixxer......double checked the relay (as per the haynes book) It appears to be good.

Double checked all the wires (wich were labeled before i spliced) all seem to mach up.

STILL NOTHING!

Grounds? (checked, unless im missing one)
Fuses? (checked all seem good)
ANY POSSIBLE IDEAS?

I'm at the end of my rope im tellin ya.
THanks a ton in advance for any help
Old 04-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REWURKD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Grounds? (checked, unless im missing one)</TD></TR></TABLE>

you should have three:
thermostat (most important one)
vavle cover
trans

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REWURKD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fuses? (checked all seem good)</TD></TR></TABLE>

i doubt fuses unless you crossed wires and blew one or a few

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REWURKD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ANY POSSIBLE IDEAS?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes
when something like this happens to me
I get a fresh pair of eyes to look at it
Get a friend or whatever to look at the car and see if they can find it
But it is going to be something dumb that you are over looking
Old 04-10-2004, 08:31 AM

GIXXER.

Cant thank you enough for the help man.

I was missing that trans ground. Gotta go check that later tonight.

That ground would be right to the chassis correct? (my car just had a complete color change engine bay and everything) that could be the problem if paint got into that ground.

Your right about someone else looking at it too, I was just thinking about that myself. Our local honda mechanic (while being way to $$$$ to put the motor in) is very experienced and i know he put a GSR into a DX hatch like a year ago so im gonna hit him up for some help.

I HOPE ITS THAT GROUND THOUGH!

Thanks Again for all the great help. I find it harder and harder to get good solid info form this forum, your def an exception thanks alot.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:02 PM

Checked all the grounds.

Still nothing.

I've moved from frustrated to PISSED OFF. Got to get away from it for a couple days and let someone else take a peak at it.

If anyone else reads this post and has anymore ideas. Toss em down, any help at this point would be greatly appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANCE.