Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM GSR in 00SI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM GSR in 00SI?

alrite i just had the gsr put in and i got a lil prob....when i got the header it didn't ft the exhaust so i had to have a test pipe put in and then a spot for the o2 sensor to be put in then i brought the car to the dealership so my buddy who put the engine in could clear the o2 codes...well while he put the pgm tester on there we got these errors

P0325-Knock Sensor-No Signal ( Im replacing this today and then see if that code goes away)
P0171-Fuel Metering Too Lean (this is the main prob)
O2 sensor bad signal or somethign there too

anyways i have had the o2 sensor bad one for a while and it keeps frying 02 sensors so i think some wiring is screwed. also i have a VAFC hooked up and im running the stock si ecu and tranny....i put on a skunk2 intake manifold and dc 4-1 headers. ne body have ne ideas y the o2 sensor keeps frying(was doing it b4 the swap) and ne ideas on running lean?
Old 04-30-2003, 07:35 PM

Default Re: JDM GSR in 00SI? (SikCivic)

you need a B16a header.

knock sensor code: you need to rewire 1 wire, cant remember which offhand.
look at the harness where it plugs together. 1 wire from motor, has NO corresponding wire in the ECU side of the plug. pink/blue i think.

the car runs like crap with a civic ECU. running rich kills O2 sensors. you need the JDM ECU or Hondata.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM GSR in 00SI? (Turbo E)

well first off i don't need a b16 header...i have a dc 4-1 ceramic b16 header...it won't fit the header is not long enough to clear the oil pan. well i replaced the knock sensor...but now seems like VAFC is really goign crazy...so after talkign to an import shop and some buddies i think im gonna pull the VAFC today and just get it on the ecu then get rid of the codes then later add the VAFC back in and i dunno y u say runnign rich kills o2 sensors cuz im running lean supposedly..and its not gonna run like **** wit the si ecu...and yes later on i will go hondata...i didn't get that whole part u said bout the knock sensor wires and the harness but whatever im pretty convinced the prob is the VAFC...by the way ne body know how to pull the VAFC i haven't done it b4 and i was wonderin if any body got a how to or install for a 00si..well thanx 4 everything
Old 05-01-2003, 11:36 AM

I mean the OEM exhaust manifold, sorry about the confusion. yes it fits, cuz i used one on mine before the turbo. tight fit, but fits nonetheless.

check out the C-speed website for explanation oin the wire thing.

here:
http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...p.php

"Step 29:
Notice the markings on the ECU; they read xxx-p72-xxx, which is the appropriate ECU for a B18c swap. Since the civic already had vtec, the only wires that needed to be added were at D3 for the knock sensor and A17 for IAB. The pinout for the IAB can be switched from A20.
Step 30:
If your car does not have vtec, 2 more wires must be added. A yellow wire with a green stripe for the vtec solenoid can be found on the engine harness and must be pinned in at A4. The vtec oil pressure sensor can be found as a blue wire in the harness and must go to D6."
this should help . 4th page.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok dude i dunno y they hell u r giveing me info sounds like u don't knwo wtf is going on.....oem manifold r u crazy? gsr intake and exhaust manifolds flow like **** its proven.....second i don't have a full gsr swap that means stock si ecu from a 00si hmm os i think i got vtec and i don't have p72 ecu...so figure something out dude before u tell someone stomethin
Old 05-01-2003, 02:39 PM

ok here's a tip, why dont you tell me what your complete setup is?

here's what i read you have:

-JDM GSR motor in 2001 SI shell
-your car is NA
-No Jp72 ECU
-Knock sensor will not work because you have incorrect ECU/wiring problems
-I used a B16A exhaust manifold before because my civic exhaust didnt reach the GSR unit (longer Cat needed)
-I am in canada so Si to me means some "D" series motor. The SIR here is B16A.
-you think you have vtec? B18C=vtec. b16a or B16b = vtec
-the wrong ECU will give you nothing but problems

-final thing, If this is your attitude toward people trying to help, don't expect to last her too long.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well maybe i went a lil overboard its just im getting a lil aggrivated wit this whoel thing... 1st
jdm gsr in 2000 civic si shell
2nd
the i never said knock sensor is not runnign cuz incorrect wiring...(it just says no signal)
3rd
i had a b16a dc sports 4-1 ceramic header...the bottom was huggin the oil pan so i had to get a gsr one and then weld the test pipe in wit o2 sensor in it.
4th
i heard that my stock si ecu would work fine on gsr

now back 2 the car its giving me some wacked out idle it jumps all over the place..my VAFC throttle % says 0 while im diriving and it stalled out on me also a couple times....it also is very rough its like i hold the throttle at a certain postion and then all of a sudden it will shoot a burst of gas and the car will jolt then bog down real quick...i had a prob like this before it was a bad ground on the fuel rail..ne ideas?
Old 05-02-2003, 10:03 AM

i know this'll sound weird, but can you remove the Vafc and still run? perhaps the Vafc is causing your problems. at least you will know if the car can run in OEM form.

I'd think the 2000 Si ECU would have different fuel and ignition maps as well, seeing as the engines use different cams and have different compression.

Isnt the 2000 SI OBD2 and jdmGSR (i'm guessing is a 95)is OBD1. My car ran OK (not great) with a P38 ECU (93 civic Si SOHC), maybe try borrowing one from a friend.

Old 05-02-2003, 02:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> My car ran OK (not great) with a P38 ECU (93 civic Si SOHC), maybe try borrowing one from a friend.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I may be wrong.. but i have a 93 civic Si SOHC, and its a P28, im guessin you just had a typing error there, but dident want anyone to get confused.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM GSR in 00SI? (StrangerWitCandy)

well i got most of the probs taken care of by pulling ht vafc like i said i was gonna do....well now it is nice and smooth but i still got 1 error and its knock senor no signal...the wire 4 the knock sensor into the ecu was spliced i gues it is shield wire anyboyd know where 2 get this stuff? im gonna have to have it re wired and does ne body know how much time it will take?
Old 05-03-2003, 11:34 AM

weird, i didnt shield mine and i dont get a CEL...
Old 05-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i didn't shield mine...it was the original obd2 harness from the si so it is factory sheilded...but when u do swap u don't have to get shielded besides it kidna hard to find...ne idea how long it would take a good mechanic to run a new knock senors wire through the harness and back 2 the ecu?
Old 05-05-2003, 01:32 AM

I may be a fool. However, no matter what you do, how do you plan on getting the secondaries on the gsr intake to open? Or do you have aftermarket intake manifold? Just a thought, but I KNOW that the si ecu doesn't have a provision for this. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM GSR in 00SI? (00b16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i put on a skunk2 intake manifold and dc 4-1 headers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

homework already done.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:00 PM

Default Re: JDM GSR in 00SI? (00b16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00b16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I may be a fool. However, no matter what you do, how do you plan on getting the secondaries on the gsr intake to open? Or do you have aftermarket intake manifold? Just a thought, but I KNOW that the si ecu doesn't have a provision for this. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Zip tied mine open till the JG manifold comes in. 'sides, I'm boosted so i don't care about the secondaries:p
Old 05-07-2003, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok this is the thing now....o2 sensor code gone...and most of the bs...well prob now is CEL still on ....i had a another honda mechanic fromt he dealership look at the ecu and wiring...my VAFC was stolen a while back and they hecked at all the wires some one trully fucked the wiring up so ne ways im gonna buy a ne harness and see what happens ..ne ways ne body know where i can get a cheap harness for this car and how much do u think it will cost?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you talking vafc harness make your own.

If you mean the main wiring harness for you engine, I had my racing shop make me a harness. He charged 5 hours labor to make harness.

Just a thought on your knock sensor, is it loose? Mine was loose and it would make the cel come on. I tightened it and no cel for over a year.

Si ecu will not work secondaries but you can just set them open all the time and car will run. Won't run like stock but will run.

Are u using an obdII ecu on a obdI engine? That will give you cel's and all kinds of shitting runing problems.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM GSR in 00SI? (mike1114)

i was talking bout the main harness and i don't want one made i want the honda oem one...second i don't have the gsr intake manifold...next the loose sounds kinda dumb but what the hell i will check it ..considering there is a spilce in the wire right next to the ecu and wires just hanging off other wires im thinkin this is not the case but its worth a try...and basically im using obd2 harness on obdI engine but the engine was converted to obdII by talking all the sensors off the b16a2 and custom attaching em on the gsr...i fig. it this way even if the knock sensor is loose and it takes the CEL off i still want the honda oem harness just to make sure i know its running perfect...and i am soon gonna get hondata to a harness and ecu should fix this