Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM B18C into 98 EX few questions

Old 11-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 JDM B18C into 98 EX few questions

Alright, so I've done a lot of searching, but I just need a bit of clarification.

JDM B18C (OBDIIa) into a 98 civic ex (OBDIIa, manual harness) using the stock JDM p-72 ecu that came with the car.

Is it correct that I:

1) Don't have to worry about the CKF sensor and can just leave the harness plug hanging?

2) Only extend and hook up the VTEC solenoid plug and leave the VTEC pressure switch plug hanging?

3) Plug the IAT wire to the top of the IM?

Last few things I'm still looking into, but might as well ask about:

4) Can anyone give detailed information about OBDIIa wiring of the IABs? I mean do you run a couple long wires from the ecu to the solenoid? I've only come across threads describing the wiring conceptually (ground, pin A26, etc) rather than physically.

5) There is an extra plug on the harness next to my injector plugs. I'll check where it went originally when I get home, but can anyone tell me where this plug hooks up on the B18C?

6) Lastly, my harness does not plug into the B18C alternator (plugs don't match). I haven't heard of any mods being required for the alt, but I'll keep searching. Does anybody know why this might be or a fix for this? I'll post a pic of the plugs when I get home.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: JDM B18C into 98 EX few questions

1)If your ECU is USDM it will need the CKF bypassed, if the ECU is JDM don't worry about it
http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/ckftrick.htm

2)Again if your ECU is JDM don't worry about it, if its USDM you'll need to get one and wire it to the ECU

3)The GSR IAT is round, the EX is square. So either run the IAT into your intake arm or swap the plug over to the round style.

4)Wire the top wire (number 1) to the ECU's correct pin location(A26 from above link). Connect #2 to a body or engine ground.

5)Probably the EVAP purge solenoid connector (again round vs square), not sure if either ECU will throw a code for it:

The B18C:

The EX:

6)https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/canadian-wiring-harness-3-wire-4-wire-alternator-plug-2804651/

or if possible

Old 11-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow man, thanks a ton!! That's basically everything I needed to know!!

5) I'll try to find out if it'll throw a cel. I didn't see any line going from the IM to the evap purge control solenoid valve...i'll have to look into this more because the d16y8 setup seems a lot different from the gsr. Can the y8 canister and setup be used or should i have received the gsr canister with the swap?

6) I'll try to wire it up without the 4th wire and see what happens..

One other thing: that diagram shows a line running to the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Where exactly is the FPR located?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

found where the FPR is supposed to be..will check it when i get home.

does anyone know where the cruise control vacuum port is on the IM? (if it has one)

also, about the little hook type port at the top of the IM. My engine had a loose tube sticking out of it..I took it out and attached my brake booster to it. Is this correct?