Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid / Engine Swaps (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/)
-   -   JDM B18c 98+ Spec Emissions in AZ (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/jdm-b18c-98-spec-emissions-az-3316832/)

jdmmugenbb6types 03-21-2018 11:40 PM

JDM B18c 98+ Spec Emissions in AZ

Hello all, I am currently near completion with my project EK but will be running into emissions in Arizona soon. I swapped a JDM B18c 98+ spec engine with all stock internals and am currently running a Hondata S300 which is an OBD1 in an OBD2 car (00' Civic CX). To my knowledge, I know that plugging the supplied JDM ECU will not get it to pass through emission and have been trying to research to get a concrete answer as to what steps to take for it to be passed. So far I've been seeing that I would either have to get a USDM oil pump since the Crank Knock Sensor are on the USDM B18c or bypass that through a different method but unsure of what the specifics are exactly. There is possibly more I would need to do in order to but does anyone have any insight or experience as to what it is I need to do exactly to get it to pass emission. Any info and help is much appreciated.

PaulMc 03-22-2018 11:00 PM

Re: JDM B18c 98+ Spec Emissions in AZ

Not sure about your question but maybe you can answer one I have. I've been contemplating the idea of swapping a JDM 98 spec R motor in to my 01 USDM ITR. What steps are necessary to do the swap as far as keeping the car OBDII and passing emissions? I really don't want to step down to OBDI.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

scottp11 03-23-2018 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by jdmmugenbb6types (Post 51587562)
Hello all, I am currently near completion with my project EK but will be running into emissions in Arizona soon. I swapped a JDM B18c 98+ spec engine with all stock internals and am currently running a Hondata S300 which is an OBD1 in an OBD2 car (00' Civic CX). To my knowledge, I know that plugging the supplied JDM ECU will not get it to pass through emission and have been trying to research to get a concrete answer as to what steps to take for it to be passed. So far I've been seeing that I would either have to get a USDM oil pump since the Crank Knock Sensor are on the USDM B18c or bypass that through a different method but unsure of what the specifics are exactly. There is possibly more I would need to do in order to but does anyone have any insight or experience as to what it is I need to do exactly to get it to pass emission. Any info and help is much appreciated.

I'm not 100% sure about Arizona specific emissions, but a lot of states do not allow JDM engines at all. If Arizona is cool with that, and all you have to do is use the oil pump from a USDM OBD-2 B-series (B18C1, B18C5, B16A2, B16A3). I assume you're using the '00 CX harness which is OBD-2B, so you'd have to use a '98-01 ITR ECU. I don't remember if your stock D-series used the Crank Position Sensor on the oil pump, but if so, wiring up the B-series oil pump will be that much easier. If not, I believe it's only 2 or 3 wires.

S2k@9K 03-23-2018 08:31 AM

Pretty sure the 98-01 specs are OBD2a as well.