Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM 98 Spec B18C-R engine swap guide for any 99-00 CX/DX Civic HB

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM 98 Spec B18C-R engine swap guide for any 99-00 CX/DX Civic HB

JDM 98 Spec B18C-R engine swap guide for any 99-00 CX/DX Civic HB

Mounts:
· JDM-R front passenger side mount
· P54 Del Sol front driver’s side mount bracket (Honda P/N 38930-P54-000) if you wish to keep A/C. Use the JDM-R front driver’s side mount bracket if you don’t.
· 99-00 Civic Si driver’s side upper engine mount bracket (Honda P/N 11910-P30-000) w/ 99-00 Civic CX/DX driver’s side upper mount and frame mount.
· 99-00 Civic CX/DX passenger side transmission mount and frame mount.
· 99-00 Civic Si rear engine mount bracket (Honda P/N 50827-S04-N10) w/ 99-00 CX/DX Civic rear frame mount.

Wiring:
· Si Wiring harness
o IAT sensor plug needs swapped from stock JDM harness to Si harness and wires extended.
o Vehicle Speed Sensor plug needs swapped from stock JDM harness to Si harness.
o EVAP sensor plug needs swapped from stock JDM harness to Si harness and wires extended.
o Plastic mounting bracket for injector plugs needs swapped from JDM Harness to Si harness.
o Borrow the EVAP sensor and 2 way valve from the stock CX/DX motor and install/connect the vacuum lines and sensor plug.

· 98+ Spec JDM-R ECU
o An OBD2b -> OBD2a jumper harness is needed for the OBD2b 99-00 Si harness to be usable with a 98+ Spec JDM-R ECU(unless you want to swap plugs and wire everything yourself).

Fuel supply:
· Replace the fuel feed line from the filter to the rail and also the fuel return hose from the rail to the hard line runnning under the vehicle w/ 98-01 ITR units.
· Replace the OEM fuel pump with at least an OEM 98-01 Integra GS-R/ITR fuel pump.

Exhaust:
· A 2.5” converter is needed for the JDM 4-1 header. Just have a muffler shop cut your exhaust to length and weld on the converter with a 2.5" collector flange.
· A 2.5" donut gasket will be needed for the header to flange connection.

Power Steering:
· Replace the OEM CX/DX PS pump with the JDM-R PS pump provided with the swap. The OEM Civic power steering line and return hose will connect to the JDM-R pump with no hassles.

Cooling:
· I went with a Fluidyne aftermarket radiator designed for the 96-00 Civic, but I've been told that a DelSol DOHC VTEC radiator will work just fine.

Misc parts:
· 98-01 ITR radiator hoses
· 98-01 ITR TB gasket(Recommended so you don’t break the TPS during install)
· 98-01 ITR Exh. Manifold gasket
· 98-01 ITR throttle cable(The stock cable will work, but it’s quite a bit longer than is needed)
· 98-01 ITR axle seals

I put this together during the before and after of my 98 Spec JDM-R engine swap into my 99 DX. Let me know if you have anything you think I should add, subtract, or change.

Modified by All-MotorSports at 6:00 PM 10/10/2004

Modified by All-MotorSports at 8:23 PM 11/17/2004
Old 09-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM 98 Spec B18C-R engine swap guide for any 99-00 CX/DX Civic HB (All-MotorSports)

is there any other way to mod that header besides welding it?
Old 10-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM 98 Spec B18C-R engine swap guide for any 99-00 CX/DX Civic HB (b20izzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20izzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there any other way to mod that header besides welding it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't have to modify the header. Just purchase a 2.5" converter and weld it on the outlet side to any 2.5" aftermarket exhaust.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:06 PM

Default Re: JDM 98 Spec B18C-R engine swap guide for any 99-00 CX/DX Civic HB (All-MotorSports)

Can't I use USDM ITR's engine mounts for swapping into a '00 EK? Why is that only the Si's mount is needed?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM 98 Spec B18C-R engine swap guide for any 99-00 CX/DX Civic HB (Lordkoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lordkoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can't I use USDM ITR's engine mounts for swapping into a '00 EK? Why is that only the Si's mount is needed?

Thanks!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can use the USDM-R front mounts, but you need both of the Civic side mounts and rear mount. Take a look at both side mounts on a 3rd Gen. Integra some time and compare them to your stock mounts in your "EK" to see why. The "DC" frame mounts are very different than that used by the "EK", so to swap, for example, a B18C5 motor into your "EK" you're essentially going to treat it is if it were a 99-00 B16A2. A search on H-T will support this.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:46 PM

If I were to have a complete '97 ITR with all the engine harness intact, could i swap this completely into a 00 EK?

What molifications do I need? I intent to take everything except the ABS from the ITR to the EK.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM 98 Spec B18C-R engine swap guide for any 99-00 CX/DX Civic HB (Lordkoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lordkoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I were to have a complete '97 ITR with all the engine harness intact, could i swap this completely into a 00 EK?

What molifications do I need? I intent to take everything except the ABS from the ITR to the EK.

Thanks!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you can swap it into your "EK". To make life easy on yourself, you'll need the same engine harness, jumper harness, and mounts that I used. You'll have a little wiring to do, but otherwise it will drop right in with no hassles if you get the right parts. You won't need a 2.5" converter, but be sure to at least get the converter off of the '97 ITR you're getting everything else from. Also, you will need the Integra fuel feed line and return hose and I would recommend upgrading your fuel pump with at least a GS-R/ITR OEM pump. Something I forgot to mention before that I also did was install an aftermarket radiator since the OEM "EK" radiator is considerably smaller than that of the DC2 radiator.

In case you didn't already know though, it's "illegal" to install an engine in a street car with a manufacture date older than that of the chassis that the motor is going into. In other words, you can legally install only a motor built from 2000-present into your '00 "EK", so install that '97 C5 at your own risk.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:26 PM

Thank you for the input and forenote. Yes, putting an older engine into a newer car is against the law. However, but cars are OBDII compliance. So I don't quite see a problem with that. Furthermore, those guys who sold engines from Japan are rather older engines also.

I will see about the pulling everything from the donate car, as the car has almost everything intact except the rear

Actually, I plan to pull the ITR radiator also and stick into the EK. I will see if I can make it fit.

Only issue trouble me is the ECU plug and play. I read on this Hybrid section that the plugs are different between OBDIIA and OBDIIB. Wonder what I need to change....

Regards,
Old 10-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lordkoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you for the input and forenote. Yes, putting an older engine into a newer car is against the law. However, but cars are OBDII compliance. So I don't quite see a problem with that. Furthermore, those guys who sold engines from Japan are rather older engines also.

I will see about the pulling everything from the donate car, as the car has almost everything intact except the rear

Actually, I plan to pull the ITR radiator also and stick into the EK. I will see if I can make it fit.

Only issue trouble me is the ECU plug and play. I read on this Hybrid section that the plugs are different between OBDIIA and OBDIIB. Wonder what I need to change....

Regards,
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you're right on both counts, but for whatever reason the emission standard and/or compliance doesn't impact the validity of that law. A lot of people run engines older than their cars, whether USDM or JDM, but they do it at their own risk for various reasons.

Yes, get everything you can out of that car. You'll need just about all of it. I believe that the Integra radiator will fit just fine.

Yes, the plugs are definitely different between the OBD2A and OBD2B systems. Get a Si harness and an OBD2B-&gt;OBD2A jumper harness and you have the ECU side covered. After that, you should just have to swap a couple plugs from the Integra harness onto the Si harness and you're done with the engine side.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:13 AM

Thanks bud.

I still need Si harness??? Arrgh... I will try to do with ITR harness and see what happens...

Even if I have complete access to all the wirings in the ITR, can't i simply just swap over and be done with it? Oh boy... This is going to be fun!
Old 10-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lordkoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks bud.

I still need Si harness??? Arrgh... I will try to do with ITR harness and see what happens...

Even if I have complete access to all the wirings in the ITR, can't i simply just swap over and be done with it? Oh boy... This is going to be fun!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you will still need the Si harness. The Integra wiring harness terminates at the firewall whereas the Civic wiring harness terminates at the ECU, so unless you plan to completely re-wire your car, you are going to need a 99-00 Civic wiring harness of some sort. The Si harness just so happens to be the "best" option though since it requires the least amount of wiring modifications to work correctly with the motor.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:58 PM

oh, what do you know? I bet you're the kind of a hole that would freakin spray paint his car!
Old 10-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM 98 Spec B18C-R engine swap guide for any 99-00 CX/DX Civic HB (binxers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by binxers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh, what do you know? I bet you're the kind of a hole that would freakin spray paint his car!</TD></TR></TABLE>

An A-hole is as an A-hole does.....or something like that.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: JDM 98 Spec B18C-R engine swap guide for any 99-00 CX/DX Civic HB (binxers)

Dude,
He is helping to contribute his knowledge on swaps. Can't you have better things to do than to jack this post?

Old 10-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lordkoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude,
He is helping to contribute his knowledge on swaps. Can't you have better things to do than to jack this post?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's ok. It's my bro-in-law being a smarta**. Thanks for having my back though.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:41 PM

wow. people can be super touchy! I am SORRY for "jacking" your post dude.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by binxers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow. people can be super touchy! I am SORRY for "jacking" your post dude.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should be sorry. Don't let it happen again punk!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Trial User

Default Re: JDM 98 Spec B18C-R engine swap guide for any 99-00 CX/DX Civic HB

Does this work for a 99lx?