Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid / Engine Swaps (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/)
-   -   J37a4 stand-alone setup in jet boat (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/j37a4-stand-alone-setup-jet-boat-3333171/)

Junker907 01-28-2019 02:31 AM

J37a4 stand-alone setup in jet boat

I am sure this is a little different than most of the other swaps on here but really I am trying to get any info I can on the best way to make a j37a4 out of the 2010 TL sh-awd run basically on an engine stand....I also have a j35a1 that I picked up for a decent deal encase I wanted to go that route being older and less complicated.

For the j37 I basically just need a flywheel and starter no transmission because I will make and adapter straight off the flywheel...alternator and belt....wiring harness and ecu and I would like to get rid of the drive by wire if there is any way to sweat throttle bodies...I am pretty new to all this swap stuff so any info is appreciated....my goal is to be as simple and light as possible and right at 300hp

thanks for the help hopefully this can get me going in the right direction and maybe it will be simpler than I am thinking hopefully

hondamark35 01-30-2019 11:46 AM

Re: J37a4 stand-alone setup in jet boat

to get one of these to run on a stand... you'll need to a fuel supply system; you'll need one of these kits though it may require some modification since it only applies to the older, pre-VCM J-series engines. i guess you could run a looped coolant system if you're just running for a few minutes. a battery.

Junker907 01-30-2019 05:32 PM

Ya coolant/fuel/exhaust/battery that stuff is pretty simple I am more focused on ecu/harness options and also flywheel/starter options because I will not have the transmission on the motor....I talked to marked Motorsports and they said they can’t help me with the j37 just a j35 for 04 or earlier

hondamark35 02-01-2019 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Junker907 (Post 51847620)
Ya coolant/fuel/exhaust/battery that stuff is pretty simple I am more focused on ecu/harness options and also flywheel/starter options because I will not have the transmission on the motor....I talked to marked Motorsports and they said they can’t help me with the j37 just a j35 for 04 or earlier

I wonder if the easiest route for a starter setup wouldn't be a bell housing from a compatible transmission, trimmed down to a minimum to act as a mount point for the stock starter. the ring gear is part of the torque converter. if you get the flex plate and torque converter from a salvage yard and trim away most of the torque converter... you can always upgrade to something more elegant later, but that would get you going.

may need to get in touch with some of the other standalone suppliers like AEM and/or Haltech

Freedo_Civegra 02-02-2019 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by hondamark35 (Post 51848943)
may need to get in touch with some of the other standalone suppliers like AEM and/or Haltech

Or megasquirt