Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J-Swap EK Shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 J-Swap EK Shifter question

Hey y'all!

So I'm gathering parts and info and prepping my car for a J35A4 swap from my Odyssey I wrecked - perfect!. I haven't sourced a transmission yet (well, I can't afford it yet, really). I've been able to pretty find all the info I needed through searching. The only thing I can't find is how people are mounting their shifter boxes while keeping the interior (and heater core). I know P2R sells a base plate adapter for the shifter box, but that mounts on top of the tunnel. And as far as I know, that means you either can't keep your center console and/or have to run the cables where the heater core hoses run through.
I also saw that Karcepts sells the RSX shift box plate for mounting under the tunnel - perfect! But then I see I can't use the k-series shift box with the j-series trans. Or is it I can only use it with the CL trans? I'm not sure.
Then there's the article with API showing the under tunnel mounting on their J-swap Civic. That's what I need! But they don't have this item on their site. I need to call and see if they sell this. If not...then what?
Can someone clarify the mounting solution I'm looking for? I want to keep full interior and heat.

Thanks for the help!
https://www.instagram.com/ej6hatchbuild/
Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Re: J-Swap EK Shifter question

I can clarify. I have a 2000 Civic sedan with a J30A4 and 6spd trans. My Accord V6 shifter box is under my center console, but I had to sacrifice my cupholders...

You can use a Kseries shifter box and cables, or the bolt in stuff from hybrid racing, etc. BUT the shift pattern will be backwards. There is a way to fix that. That involves welding a pin to the shifter leaver on the transmission.

By far, the easiest thing to do would be to get the shifter box adapter kit (like this: Karcepts, Inc. - Karcepts Shifter Mounting Kit) to mount your box under the car in the exhaust tunnel and just run your cables from it.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra
I can clarify. I have a 2000 Civic sedan with a J30A4 and 6spd trans. My Accord V6 shifter box is under my center console, but I had to sacrifice my cupholders...

You can use a Kseries shifter box and cables, or the bolt in stuff from hybrid racing, etc. BUT the shift pattern will be backwards. There is a way to fix that. That involves welding a pin to the shifter leaver on the transmission.

By far, the easiest thing to do would be to get the shifter box adapter kit (like this: Karcepts, Inc. - Karcepts Shifter Mounting Kit) to mount your box under the car in the exhaust tunnel and just run your cables from it.
what year accord shifter box you using with the j30a4 swap?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bochincheboy
what year accord shifter box you using with the j30a4 swap?
2003 Accord

Old 03-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I 1st used a 06 accord shifter, I had to cut a hole in my floor tunnel, before the cup holders just so I can retain them.

I later swaped my oem accord shifter for a Hybird Racing shifter, best thing I did.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by splatV6
I 1st used a 06 accord shifter, I had to cut a hole in my floor tunnel, before the cup holders just so I can retain them.

I later swaped my oem accord shifter for a Hybird Racing shifter, best thing I did.
I need one of those.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a cl-s transmission, and I noticed my pin location on the shift lever is different than the 04 tl lsd Tranny. I’m a try my ktuned Rsx shift box with racing cables and see if that works from my Kswap civic. I also have stock k20z3 cables and see if that makes a difference.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I welded steel plates in the shifter tunnel area below as a base for my 6 speed shifter in my integra, fed the cables through front sway bar and it works fine , no issues. And I was able to keep the stock look