Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

integra type r engine into 92 hatch....little bit of help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 11:26 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default integra type r engine into 92 hatch....little bit of help needed

ive just blown my engine up in my civic vti hatch (b16a2 as standard in uk) ive been told that the integra R motor bolts straight in and that i can use my standard gearbox, but that i need new axles( i know that this will sound stupid but in the uk an axle is at the back so are these axles what i know as driveshafts?) why would i need new axles if im using the same g/box and the engine mounts into the same place? also would i need the type r wiring loom or could i alter mine? would i need the type r ecu? am i forgetting anything. while im here, is there an easy front brake swap say from a prelude (4 stud) that will go straight onto my car? all replies greatly apreciated!
Old 05-08-2001, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: integra type r engine into 92 hatch....little bit of help needed (ben_vtec)

Since you already have the B16a engine, you will just need the complete Type-R longblock ( head, intake manifold and block). You can use yor B16a tranny and driveshafts (axles), no need to change them since they already work fine. Reuse your B16a engine harness, and you can use your B16a ecu. The fuel maps are different but you won't get a code. Maybe buy a Mugen chipped ecu and you'll be all set. About the brakes, get the Integra front brakes and you'll stop fine.

Good luck,

Old 05-08-2001, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: integra type r engine into 92 hatch....little bit of help needed (ben_vtec)

....it will work without a problem......just bolt up a b16a tranny, axles and all the parts you are missing or don't want to swap out.........reuse your harness or even the ITR (depends on the year of the ITR and your car....)....as far as the ecu you can use your old ecu....but depends on the year again you might be able to use ITR ecu.....

if your civic is a 92-5 EG then reuse all parts such as ecu, and harness from your old motor...mounts, tranny all works

if it is a 96-98 EK VTi and the ITR is a 96-98 specs then reuse all the parts from the ITR (minus the mount on the motor)

if its a 99-00 EK and ITR is 99-00 then same as above.....

there have been some changes in the wiring, plugs in 92-5, 96-98, 99-00...

as far as brakes, the easiest is to get some 1998+ Integra Type R / 1991+ Accord wagon / 1993+ Prelude VTEC calipers and 1993-1996 Prelude VTEC rotors, redrilled to 4x100 bolt pattern
....or Legend rotors (redrilled to 4x100mm) with NSX calipers
brake wise read through that: http://hybrid.honda-perf.org/tech/bigbrakes.html
or contact brian he sell amazingly priced kits, plus he gives discount to board memebers....just mention hybrid and honda-tech http://www.fastbrakes.com/kits.shtml

Old 05-09-2001, 04:35 PM
New User

right, let me get this right (my car is a stock 92 hatch with all 92 parts(b16a2)), i can put in a type r engine and all i would need to change is the chip. would the it run better with the type r ecu/wiring (uk type r's started in around 97/98 all of them have the round lights) if i look hard enough i could probably find a jap spec older car). what are the differences between these engines? does the type r engine have extra sensors etc? can these be wired to the b16a2 ecu? what alternator/starter etc do i use? im an electrician with limited mechanical knowledge so i need ALL the details for this conversion(i didnt even know i had to reset the ecu after fitting a filter and cat pipe until a couple of weeks ago!) i have plenty of mates with various bits of mechanical knowledge to help(none of it specific to hondas).....is it really a job i can do in my garage with my mates?
Old 05-09-2001, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just reuse ITR block, intake manifold.....add your b16a distributor, alternator, injectors, ecu, harness the rest is all the same...just so its much easier other wise replug your harness to obdII system plugs, (injectors, dist, alternator)

sure it usually won't take you more then 1 to 2 days to do this...especially in 92+ cars if all parts are present...
Old 05-10-2001, 03:31 PM
New User

Default Re: integra type r engine into 92 hatch....little bit of help needed (eg6ajk)

cheers for all the info, another couple of things i was wondering are, do i use a civic or integra exhaust manifold? and does the double intake thingy on the integra engine need extra wiring or do all the bits i need come as part of the intake anyway? someone mentioned a mugen ecu, would it run better with this or do i just need a custom chip? do you know of any companies that make a chip for this conversion? how much would you pay in the U.S for this conversion? thanks for all the help
Old 05-10-2001, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default integra type r

either one...ITR manifold is the right lenghts but the flanges are at the wrong angle....b16a should work (some aftermarket versions are too short) there is a block height difference thats why.....

what you mean by intake thingy...the only different manifold was a b18c (SiRG or GSR) which had a dual stage intake...ITR manifold is the same as b16a....just slightly enlarged and shortened to produce power at high RPM....

there might be some gain with a ITR ecu or mugen program but not much more....custom ecu chip can be usually had for $150-200US (find katman (www.ff-squad), locash(www.locashracing.com), or david n)....otherwise get a harness converter from obdII to obdI...usually run $250US....which will let you plug the ITR ecu to the old harness without problems...
http://www.ff-squad.com/ecu.htm http://www.locashracing.com/pages/ecu-modding.htm
Old 05-13-2001, 02:55 PM
New User

the cheapest i can get a b18c5 is 3500 pounds, a b16a2 is 350 pounds, i think id rather have 10 b16a2's than 1 b18c5. ill just have to nitrous it, thats all, how much hp is 'safe'. how cheap can i get a decent kit?
Old 05-13-2001, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just get a b16a from a 92+ jdm civics which has 170 ps (168hp) not 158hps as first gens(89-91)....

depending on tuning and type of kit (wet or dry) but anywhere from 50-70hp shot is fine.....

should be able to run high 13's or very low 14's on street tires.....
Old 05-15-2001, 03:59 PM
New User

as far as i know, there are only 2 b16's available in the uk, a 150 bhp model used in 88-91 crx/civic and a 158 bhp version as used in all civic/crx's from 92 onwards. i know there is a jap import SiR model with 170 bhp, but there like rockin horse shi......