Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

igition timing question on a LS motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default igition timing question on a LS motor

ok i posted this in the integra section so i am going to copy n' paste my posts over to here. not really getting many answers. lol

i am finishing up someone else's LS swap on a EG. we have worked out all CEL's (no cels currently) and are running a proper ECU (car came to us with a d15b7 ecu and the wiring to the iat and ect were both fuxxxored)

the timing is off on the motor. the car was running apparently before the car started acting boggy. the timing is at about 9 when it should be at 16. the dizzy is all the way advanced. is it possible that this is not the right dizzy? could cams not be in time (i haven't checked this yet its my next route) just looking for a little insight.

okay, we checked cam timing and it was close to perfect maybe a 1/8th of a tooth off. the belt was loose also so we fixed all that and adjusted the belt. i haven't yet start the car because we also did a valve lash adj due to the fact that all of his seemed to of been over tightened...

so now i kinda am curious to know could a b16/gsr/type-r what ever dizzy fit on a b18a? is it possible that i have the wrong dizzy? because the amount that the cam timing was off was so little that it couldn't give me as much advancement i need. let alone have more to play with later. and i doubt the valve adj would really fix the problems this car is having.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: igition timing question on a LS motor

you can't get all 3 bolts on with a vtec distributor, so not likely wrong distributor.

is it a stock ecu?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 AM

stock ecu

and thats what i was thinking. i didn't think a vtec dizzy would of lined up on a LS motor.

ugh wtf the car runs like *******. it almost sounds like the sparkplug wires are out of order... its missing and i noticed when i retard the dizzy the symptoms seem to get worse.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the actual condition of the motor? I know I had similar symptoms and found I have blown HG between 1/2 cylinders. Couldnt keep it running unless I advanced the timing as far as I could.

You said you "no longer" have CELs. Did any of your previous CELs give warning of a timing failure?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:08 AM

no. my previous cel's were for ECT (engine coolant temp) the positive lead to that sensor was bad so it wasn't getting any power (rewired it and it was good)

the other code was for iat (intake air temp) same **** except this sensor had 12v instead of 5 and it was cooking the sensor... sooo both of those are fixed.

the motor isn't knocking there are no odd noises when we start it other then it sounding like a subaru. there is no smoke coming out the tail end. coolant looks good, oil looks good. but here's the kicker there is not enough room to advance the dizzy any further so i am at about 9 degrees advanced instead of 16.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 AM

the ecu is a obd1 pr4 btw
Old 06-05-2009, 03:31 PM

more nonsense. pulled the spark plug wire from cylinder 4 and there is the culprit. we used the listeners and noticed the fuel injector for the 4th isn't working. ohm checked all the injectors and they all ohm good. when we checked the missing injector on the scan tool (sorry i don't know what its called but it tells you the pause before the pulse on the inj.) and it isn't doing nada. my guess is its not getting power/ground and just is not working. i already pulled the injector and tried it with another known good one.

guess we shall see what happens
Old 06-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bet the injectors are stuck closed. I have had several swaps where I had to beat the injectors while spinning over the engine or while it was running to free the pintles . I would def. Give it try . I usually use a flat tip and a small hammer to strike the injector close to the base. Have seen this on at least a dozen swaps.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:12 PM

nahhh got it running today. ****ing fuel injector connector was grounding out on it self. cylinder 4 was not getting fuel at all. how ever idk why i cant seem to get my ignition timing right.

info

cam is time dead nuts on. did this like 10 times. lol still cant get it to 16 advanced... wondering if i should cut of part of the ears to advance it to where it should be.