Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle's funny no check engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle's funny no check engine

when car is cold it idle's at 3500RPM after warmup it's lobes between 800-2200RPM, there are no check engine lights or anything, 94 del sol with jdm gsr... when i plugged up a diagnostics computer it read everything fine but the ecu was going in and out of "open loop" and "closed loop". i thought it was faulty computer but when i tried 2 others they did same thing. something's causing it to do so, and once again no check engine. NO vaccum leaks anywhere..
Old 09-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Idle's funny no check engine (DelSeeYa)

What ecu u using? What aftermarket mods do u have if any? Try cleaning the IAC and FITV. Sounds kinda weird about ur ecu, is ur thermostat working properly? Try checking all ur grounds too. Do u notice a difference or anything out of the ordinary when u drive, or only at idle?
Old 09-28-2006, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle's funny no check engine (JasonST)

ONly idle, it runs like a champ otherwise, but it's annoying to have idle lobing like that. P72 ECU but i've tried other's and do the same, (p05, and p75) mods, Intake, header, exhaust, Flywheel, clutch, secondary runners out of intake mani, hondata IM gasket, thermostat is new i bought 6 thousand miles ago but that don't say much cuz it COULd go bad although my car hold temp at 185 degrees and doesn't over heat/stay cold
Old 10-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else please help, this idle is sooo annoying,
Old 10-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

funny idle must be cracking you up! lol
Old 10-22-2006, 12:01 PM

My car's having the same problem. it idles pritty high. usually between 1500 and 2000 rpms. it also moves back and forth from around 1000 to 2000 rpms every once and a while. i have a jdm b16a2 with a short ram intake, type r intake manifold, hondata gasket, exedy clutch, and act flywheel. my friend sead it could be the IACV. how would i go about cleaning it? juss spray brake cleaner? what else could be the issue?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle's funny no check engine (TypeR_EG)

a sticking fast idle thermo valve or idle air control valve may be the culprit. one way of checking is by covering the two inlets on the inside of the throttle body. there should be two holes on the back side (firewall side)of the throttle body right by the throttle plate. the upper one supplies the air to the IACV and the lower to the FITV. you can cover one at a time to see if that brings the car back down to a resonable idle. it might be both of them though....

you could try cleaning them after you find out which one is causing the problem. the FITV is easier to clean the IACV. the IACV is the more expensive of the two.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle's funny no check engine (TypeR_EG)

did you retorque your IM gasket that might be a cause, but just an idiea cuz i my self am having a prob i can't find, i've replaced coolant temp, air intake temp, IACV, IM gasket, new Intake Many, new Throttle body, new TB gasket, new injector O rings and plenty of time, lol, and on the valve on the bottom of the TB i've put a block offf plate, so it's pretty much plugged off, actually since all that work it's just idles higher now at almost 4 grand, i'm giving up now pretty much and about to order new motor..... but if anyone has any other Ideas than you might save me a few grand.. please let me know.. thx
Old 10-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm I wouldn't sell it just cause of a high idle, if all else fails take it to a trusted shop and have them diagnose it, it would be a lot cheeper than buying a whole new motor. Seams like u pretty much replaced everything, I'm not sure what else it could be, any other problems that are out of the ordinary?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle's funny no check engine (JasonST)

nope none, what so ever, just the 4 grand idle... it get's higher by the day i dunno, but oh well, i've already ordered my new motor, i've had my fun with this one, time for something else, a little less common.... should be up and runnin in about a week...
Old 10-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

daym, i just started havin this problem well about two weeks now wiht a jdm 99 r motor in my ek. im bout to change my intake manifold gasket wiht oem. **** is causing lots of headache. bought 2 iacv 96 gsr and a 99 civ si. and about to buy the type R one now. becasue the back of those iacv the holes are smaller. My mechanic just gave me some advice and just backtrack what i did. buy new iacv, intake mani gasket and come back.

goodluck, sucks i wanted to see if you figured out the problem.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle's funny no check engine (h8ted ek)

I had the exact same problem with the b18b swap into my ek hatch. a lobing idle bouncing between 2000 & 800rpms. i took the FITV off and took the flat cap off the back side of it and snugged the plastic screw inside of it back down, and my lobing idle has stopped. still idles a little high, about 1300...IACV i believe to be the culprit of that, soon to be fixed. but the idle is so much better, and less embarrassing. But that should definitely be something to try. Only takes a few minutes to do.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle's funny no check engine (stevil_knevil)

gosh, i hope that it is the iacv for mines. ive already bought three, but which were a 96 gsr, and a 99 Si. The problem that i Might buy another is because the ones i bought, the holes in the back where it mates the manifold are alot smaller than the jdm itr iacv. Im just thinking i should just go ahead and buy a brand new oem iacv thats for a type r. But cant decide if i should do that or go to a shop.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle's funny no check engine (h8ted ek)

ok took motor out and inspected it and here was my problem, on the block the black PCV box came out of the block because i took the bracket to hold the many on off, and that box caused a direct vacum leak and i never seen coming lol, solution is to bolt it down there is a little wing with a bolt hole in it (14mm) on the bottom, best way to get to it is from under the car. (easier to see too) anyway, also if you have hondata IM gasket don't get rid of it, don't go back to OEM, i tested IM and AIR INTAKE CHARGE temp was dropped dramatically, and we all know cold air is dense air, and the denser the air the more of it, thus more power, especially in Turbo'd cars, the temp difference between head/vavle cover and IM with hondata gasket is head-171, v cover 134.6, and IM 74.4 and that's cold compared to rest of head, i mean i can lean on the v cover it won't be pleasant but the IM is cool to touch...any way thought i should let you all know i found my problem and you all should check it out to...
Old 11-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, Ive actually came across to someone that had similar to your problem wiht the Pcv. Black Box, Thanks for the reply i have the car on jackstands for two days now as im parting ways, im defingly going to check this out. Ill keep yall updated either way

Thanks Patai
Old 11-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, IDLED FIXED, GOod lawrd,, Saved MONEY!!, tomororw i was suppsoed to have it diagnosed by a tuner shop.

THis idling have been linger and fing anoying for atleast the past Month.

Well ill give you a run through what happend.
Yesderday Changed oil and filled up all the way with fresh gas and BG fuel cleaner.

Well i did noticed that my idle would stay still but move up and down but no further than 2krpm. BUt i just thought it was because it was climate changed, RAIN RAIN, and COLD here.

HIt Vtec and dropped to 700rpm!?!? wtf, i went to tteh store started it up 700-1krpm, started up smooth and same now. brb ima go cruise around wiht the type r swaped ek before its going to get sold by this weekend.

This is just a little story that happend.