Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I NEED HELP WITH A H22 SWAP REALLY QUICK....PLEASE!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 12:39 PM
hj
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED HELP WITH A H22 SWAP REALLY QUICK....PLEASE!!!!!

A friend of ours told him that he would install it for him for 400 bocks. the guy never installeda a h22 into a civic but e has done alot of other swaps in difer types of cars. is there anything he should tell the guy that needs to be watched out for? ex:cpu, axles,engine,tranny,etc. anything people found out when they did their swap. i use to have a guys number that worked in ga but i dont anymore. i think he's a ht member. his name is tom and he works in a honda/acura place. any help would be thankful.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:48 PM

Default Re: I NEED HELP WITH A H22 SWAP REALLY QUICK....PLEASE!!!!! (hj)

I don't think you should pay someone who doesn't know what they're doing to install your motor, but maybe that's just me? You could do it yourself and save yourself money, considering you're both at the same level of understanding of the swap.

What mount kit are you using, with the HCP one you will have to cut off part of the mount, and you will need a prelude rear mount. You will need to cut a small part out of the shifter area to allow for the shift linkage to run through.

And theres something about the midshaft but I can't remember how it goes so you'll have to ask poison or kamin.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I NEED HELP WITH A H22 SWAP REALLY QUICK....PLEASE!!!!! (SpiritUnreal)

this is a write-up I did on a other board.

Start paste

OK, I am trying to cover ALL you need to do this swap and all the myths and **** that people have been saying about this swap.

First, Try to find a car that has not been in a front end crash. The new motor mounts are made for a straight frame, so if you have frame damage, the mounts will not line up right.

Motor Mounts: Now, your stock or B-series mounts will not work. You have two choices: 1) Hasport or 2) HCP. The difference in the mounts are little. Hasports cost the is higher than the HCP. The HASport motor mounts were designed for better axles angles, so you have less broken axles. Now, HCP designed there kit more towards the stock prelude mounting position. I mostly use HCP because of the price and seen no real benefits for the HASport besides (in the HCP) if you do not grind enough off the transmission mount, it will grind 5th and reverse. Now, I know you are saying "what about other mounts that I have seen like Place racing, totem, etc?". With place racing, I have seen nothing but problems with axles binding and just poor R&D. With totem, The link will show you all: http://www.jdmshit.com/Totem/ . Totem copied the HCP design and did a shitty job at it. With ALL mounts you will have to use a 92-96 H-series prelude rear transmission bracket.

Axles: You have many choices here. You can use a 90-93 accord intermediate shaft with 90-93 integra axles, or use the prelude intermediate shaft with a 90-93 integra passenger side axle and a hybrid axle with a 'lude inner CV joint and the 90-93 integra shaft and outer CV joint for driver's side axle. The only difference in those axles set-up is the intermediate shaft you use. I have seen them hold to nice horsepower, so you do not have to go the more money route. Another way to go is, Use the prelude intermediate shaft and order up a pair of DSS axles for the swap.

Wiring: I know that people think that this is the hardest part of the swap, but it is not (thanks to that damn shift linkage pin ). Now, the easiest harness to use is your stock harness. Most of the plugs will match up. If the is the same OBD, the colors of the wires will match up too. Now, there we go:
1. You will have to change the injector clips to the h22a style, that is very easy, just cut and splice. Now, your stock injectors are saturated. The H22a injectors are Peak and hold. you will have to wire in a resistor box. It is easy. there is a diagram:

http://www.hondata.com/techinjectorwiring.html

2. You will have to extend the Alternator wiring. Now, if it is the SAME OBD then you should have no problem. All the colors are the same.

3. You will have to length the wire going to the starter solenoid.

4. You will have to use the H22a reverse light plug. No biggy, just cut and splice.

5. Depending on what model and year you have, it will determine how much wiring you will have to do. there is a diagram to help you:

also you may have to rewire the 02 sensor (on VX and CX only) there are the pinouts:
WHT wire goes to D14 (O2 Sensor Input) - needs to be a shielded wire with ground (it has to be shielded wire, or it will not work right)
BLK wire goes to A6 which is Heater Control
GRN wire goes to D22 which is Sensor Ground
BLK wire goes to B1 or A25 which is Sensor voltage

6. As for the EGR, JDM motors you do not have to wire it up, BUT USDM you do. The JDM motors will get a code for it off and on, but just reset the computer, and it will go away.

7. Sensor ID. There is a pic that will make the job easier:

#1 is ECT (engine coolant temperature switch)

#2 is the coolant sending unit (this is what sends your cluster how hot your water is)

#3 is the knock sensor.

#4 is the oil sensor.

NOW, label all the sensors when you take them off. It will make it easier when you put the new motor in.

THINGS TO REPLACE.

When you have the motor/transmission out, you should replace: the clutch, timing belt and balance shaft belt, water pump, spark plugs. Those are just the basics, you can replace more.

COOLING SYSTEM

You will need a 92 integra LS upper Radiator hose and a 1994 Del Sol VTEC lower radiator hose. You can get them almost anywhere. You will have to get a slim fan OR mod. your stock fan to work. I think that the slim fan is the best. They are like $30 at pep boys. Now, as far as the Radiator questions, you can run your stock single core Radiator with no problems, but I would upgrade to a Del Sol VTEC dual core Radiator.

CUTTING AND HACK TO THE CHASSIS

you will need to cut a 2x3 hole for the shift cables. Here is a pic:

you will also have to cut the transmission mount. With the HASport, you will have to cut it off totally. With the HCP, you will only have to cut about 1" x 1" off it.

I think that is it, if you have any questions, just ask!

Special thanks to Brandon (poison) and Dave Newman (Newman)

end paste

If I have anything wrong, please correct me
Old 09-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I NEED HELP WITH A H22 SWAP REALLY QUICK....PLEASE!!!!! (turbogixxer)

the only tom i can think of on ht is b18c5-eh2 i think thats the name and im pretty sure his name is tom and if so im sure he would know his sh*t