Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!! i need all the help i can get!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !! i need all the help i can get!!!

!!!! I need all the help that i can get!!! I heard that the people on here are as smart as they come, so please prove your genius minds to me. So here's my story....
I had a 93 civic DX hatch, then me and my skilled friend did an engine swap into it, placing a 95 ex d16z6. We used the ex harness and computer. apone successfully doing the swap and making the car run great and fast as hell by then, i did some mods. I placed a feilds vtec controller and richened the fuel until vtec kicks in then leaned it out afterwards. I did and aem cold air intake, headers with replaced stock exhaust piping and tenzo muff that i had on before. I also bought a venom 400 system and installed that. since the dx didnt have a tach i bought an autometer phantom with SL. i did the swap on april 27th and reciently it started to do wierd things. on some days it had no troubles, but others it likes to idle between 1000rpm to 1500 rpm. 15 minutes later it might be down around 200-1000 rpms. I can hear the intake sucking on and off. Also when it's acting up, and i'm letting it decellerate in a gear, i can hear the exhaust popping a lot. and sometimes i can feel the car lurching and stopping. The clutch is going so im replacing it with an act that i already bought, though that probably isnt the problem. I did try relearning the computer by pulling the fuse the other day, but still does it, i also tried turning off venom and vtec controller. doesnt make a change. I replaced the spark plugs, and pcv valve, and still have to do rotor and cap. I did play round with air flow screw to try and fix it. i guess im saying that im stuck, and i dont know where to start...someone please help this kid in getting his car fixed. I do not see and engine lights come on or physical signs of weakness except rpm's. any suggestions are more than welcome!!!!!!!!!! hope to hear from all of you on your thoughts, sorry this was so long but tried to give as much info as possible.

Rick farrar
Old 05-16-2001, 03:49 PM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: !! i need all the help i can get!!! (redciv)

I know this may sound strange, but take the field unit out completely and let the ECU do the work. From what you're describing, it sounds like you got a bad SFCVTEC unit.

Also, check the IAC on the back of the intake manifold, that may have gone bad as well.

Lastly, check the main ground that goes from the body to the tranny, this can also cause problems.

Old 05-17-2001, 06:34 AM
New User

Default Re: !! i need all the help i can get!!! (Aj.)

Just a question, how much did you raise the gas by? And why did you lean out the gas at Vtec? If i'm not mistaken I believe that is one of the bigger problems that people want to solve. Once Vtec kicks in, the car runs a bit lean. Therefore you balance that out using a fuel controller. Not exactly sure, but my thought on it. But it definately sounds like a fuel problem. You mught also want to try a fuel injection cleaner. Not the ones you pour in your gas tank, but the actual one which you hook the bottle up to a vacuum line. Tell us more and try to be more specific. That gives everyone a better idea.

[Modified by b20b, 7:35 AM 5/17/2001]
Old 05-17-2001, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !! i need all the help i can get!!! (b20b)

my friend was running the same set up as you for the most part. turns out that the 02 sensor was going bad due to the increased fuel running at below vtec. In all actuallity honda's run rich, all or em. The car needs to be tuned by someone that knows how to tune. Do you have an Exhaust Temp meter & Air Fuel meter???? You should have em so you know what you're car is doing. Most of the time you only need to lean out the pre-vtec about 2-5% Anyways like i said it could be the o2 or/and the fuel mixture.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !! i need all the help i can get!!! (advanracing62)

THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP AND IDEAS. MUCH APPRECIATED!!! i FOUND OUT THAT THE DISTRIBUTOR WAS ALL THE WAY EITHER RETARDED OR ADVANCED. I FIXED IT BY ADJUSTING THE POSITION.... WORKED OUT GREAT UNTIL I HAVE SOMEONE USE A TIMING LIGHT .. THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH THOUGH!! rICK