Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I dropped a down-graded (OBD I) b20b into my EK sedan & now it won't pass inspection

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dropped a down-graded (OBD I) b20b into my EK sedan & now it won't pass inspection

Stupid. I know.. I did this swap back in high school (06-07) and picked it up in Houston from a guy that had it in his eg hatch so he downgraded it to OBD I, i know he changed over the distributor but i'm not sure what else he did.

I just got the car back on the road after taking a break from the game. I take it to get an inspection and their OBD II system wont communicate with my downgraded system... I call DPS to figure out what we can do and they recommend getting it scanned and seeing if it passes (which it likely wont communicate). The next step is to go to a shop that does inspections, have them run a diagnostics check and if it passes enter the inspection from there.

Q: any recommendations for shops in the austin area that are capable of this?

I have a feeling that neither one of these options are going to work and that i'll call DPS and Ronnie will tell me i'm pretty much SOL because it's pretty much illegal to down grade in the United States from OBD II down to OBD I.

even if i do get it to pass this year, what if that shop goes out of business? i'll be shopping around again.

to avoid future bullshit i'm considering normalizing the engine by refitting it with the OBD II system and components. Thats where the larger question lies- which comments are OBD I? I know I swapped my computer and (with the help of an experienced friend) chipped it to run my old injectors on the swap (bc i didn't have larger injectors at the time- now i do). I know the distributor is OBD I because thats what came with the swap and I rewired it to mate with my original wiring harness.

Here's what i'm working with:

1996 Honda Civic 4dr LX
1997 b20b with integra intake
Original wiring harness in cabin and engine bay
Original injectors ('96 d15)
Custom chip burned for injectors P28 ecu

(512)9zero3-9003
Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I dropped a down-graded (OBD I) b20b into my EK sedan & now it won't pass inspect

You answer your own question, your running a chip p28, when you hook up the obd2 scanner on your car, it isn't gonna be able to read your ecu. Your ecu is gonna be a 96+integra ls to properly run the car. But you will need to do sme research and re wire your second o2 sensor, and find out what else you need to do to make it run like a 96+ ls integra
Old 05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I dropped a down-graded (OBD I) b20b into my EK sedan & now it won't pass inspect

why are you running a p28ecu, its for a vtec engine
Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep to n*werk. To SlowDB7 the P28 ECU is the best ECU to chip because it is the most common OBD1 Vtec ECU.
OP to pass emissions you will need to back to OBD2. Get a P75 OBD2 ECU and make sure everything else is installed and hooked up on the car of emissions.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowDB7
why are you running a p28ecu, its for a vtec engine
I'm not 100% sure because I had a buddy help me get my swap runnin'. But i think it was for ease and accessibility of chipping from home so that we could run it on the stock d15 injectors b/c the injectors it came with were damaged.