Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge problem, will paypal $20 to person with the solution, $20 + food if you come figure it out. Car

Old 08-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge problem, will paypal $20 to person with the solution, $20 + food if you come figure it out. Car

Okay.

we swapped in a 97 usdm h22a4 into my civic hatch.

Everything is wired properly and good to go.

We start the car. and its good.

We drive it to a gas station about 2 miles away, turn off the car, fill it with gas, and try to start it again. Nothing, absolutely nothing.

I had it towed back to my house.

I click the key in the ON position and my main relay clicks over and over again. If i try to start the car, it doesn't turn over or anything. My fan turns on if I keep the key turned. My fuel pump does not prime. and My main relay is good (we tried one from a working car in this car, and mine in his car.)

What could the problem be? I've checked EVERY ground twice after searching on h-t. Esp. the Thermostat ground. Is it possible the ground wires inside the harness are messed up? How would I go about adding them seperately? The battery is good as well but just in case we tried another.

OBD1 JDM Distributor and everything is wired correctly (because we were using this harness with this exact same setup, we just changed out the motor).

Anyone help, PLEASE!

If you need more information please let me know.

EDIT: also if i keep the key turned all the way, my main relay stops clicking, and i hear a faint whining sound coming from my ignition. I also have an alarm which I thought was the problem, but it is wired correctly.

What would make the car just not turn on after it was driving for a good 10 minutes. Which fuses should I check specifically? because i've pretty much checked them all.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Huge problem, will paypal $20 to person with the solution, $20 + food if you come figure it out.

Reading your post, the first thing that would come to my mind would be yoyr starter.Is it making any clicking sounds?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huge problem, will paypal $20 to person with the solution, $20 + food if you come figure it out.

No its not, but we tried another starter and the same thing. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

We also manually tried to start it by hooking up a wire from the battery to the starter.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If anyone can recommend a shop to take this car to close to Hartford, CT who actually knows their stuff. Please let me know!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:03 PM
95DxSi-R2

so u have a no crank no start or a
crank no start?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no crank, no turn over.

Basically NOTHING happens when I turn the key.

The fuel pump doesn't even prime.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:05 PM
95DxSi-R2

was your car originally manual or auto?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:07 PM
95DxSi-R2

did u check fuses?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:08 PM
95DxSi-R2

do u know how to use a multimeter?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:09 PM
95DxSi-R2

do u know how to use a multimeter?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

YOUR GROUNDS ARE NOT CONNECTED PROPERLY!!!

fix them and your car will start....

paypal me now

hoopla14(AT)netzero.net
Old 08-23-2005, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please come and show me which ground.

How many grounds are there and where are they so I can make sure I am checking them all.

I have checked fusebox ground, thermostat ground, battery ground, valve cover ground, alternator ground, starter ground, and tranny ground. I dont know what else.

I believe the wiring to my thermostat ground may have gone kaput. Where do those 2 wires go so I can try to rewire and reground them.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:21 PM

did u try swaping the ecu?

ground wire near trans is usually the problem......

ecu may have fried?try swapping the ecu with a running one...
Old 08-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">YOUR GROUNDS ARE NOT CONNECTED PROPERLY!!!

fix them and your car will start....

paypal me now

hoopla14(AT)netzero.net</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly...happened to me as well...car started the first time, then refused to do so again. Until I fixed the ground issue.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:06 PM

manual tranny right? check the clutch switch right above the pedal.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you using an msd ignition? if so i had this same problem its seems as though the ground and loose wires in the box can cause these same symptoms. which i did truly figure out but i know when i removed it the car started fine.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jayswift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">manual tranny right? check the clutch switch right above the pedal.</TD></TR></TABLE>
This had me confused for a half an hour earlier today. Check that.
Dan
Old 08-24-2005, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by james111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did u try swaping the ecu?

ground wire near trans is usually the problem......

ecu may have fried?try swapping the ecu with a running one...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes tried swapping in 2 different ECUs (both of which we knew worked)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jayswift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">manual tranny right? check the clutch switch right above the pedal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its fine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by N &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you using an msd ignition? if so i had this same problem its seems as though the ground and loose wires in the box can cause these same symptoms. which i did truly figure out but i know when i removed it the car started fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, ignition is stock.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:17 AM

My friend swapped a h22 in his CL and he had a similiar issue... I will give him a ring and see what he did... I'm from CT too so if need be we could come down and help u....
Old 08-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djSALIX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please come and show me which ground.

How many grounds are there and where are they so I can make sure I am checking them all.

I have checked fusebox ground, thermostat ground, battery ground, valve cover ground, alternator ground, starter ground, and tranny ground. I dont know what else.

I believe the wiring to my thermostat ground may have gone kaput. Where do those 2 wires go so I can try to rewire and reground them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you fixed these grounds yet? The car will not run without them.
My only other suggestion is to try another battery.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Regrounded every ground and tried another battery.

Nothing
Old 08-24-2005, 09:43 AM

You said....after you put in the gas..and it wont start???

Could there be a chance u got diesel gas in there?

Old 08-24-2005, 10:07 AM

Are you familiar with multimeters? I would do voltage drops on all the grounds and from the battery to the starter both ground and positive. The ground sides should drop no more than 300-400MV and the positive side around .400-500MV. If that is in spec use a test light and make sure you have good chassis grounds. You can do this by clipping the wire to the positive terminal of the battery and put the tip on every ground location. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm confused, you said you jumped a wire from battery to starter and it didn't even crank over?

I would start there cause that for surely should make the car crank.

Ground on the starter come loose? That little female connector comes loose on me every now and again, especially if I bump it while ******* with something else.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm confused, you said you jumped a wire from battery to starter and it didn't even crank over?

I would start there cause that for surely should make the car crank.

Ground on the starter come loose? That little female connector comes loose on me every now and again, especially if I bump it while ******* with something else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that is what I was about to ask. You directly jumped the starter and nothing happened? Seems like you have no power whatsoever. The starter should crank if even if it doesn't start as long as you are Grounded and have power.

Do your dash lights come on when the key is in the on possition? Maybe you should also check your key ignition. That could be a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Huge problem, will paypal $20 to person with the solution, $20 + food if you come figure it out. Car